Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:52:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: API Pulls to display things in the wallet software  (Read 699 times)
islandcoli (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 06:57:33 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Hi there,

Would it be possible or maybe it already exists for Bitcoin wallets to display Twitter feeds, or perhaps even a graph displaying the current price/volume.

What are the potential risks (if any) to having these API pulls in the wallet software. Can the site who is have their data "pulled" see the IP/Computer info of the wallets pulling it and maybe compromise the anonymity of the person?

I know Satoshi had mentioned adding a way for him to broadcast a message to the all the connected wallets, but wouldn't a twitter feed that displays on a tab in the wallet be more practical?

Having wallets display info from other sources seems like a neat addition to a custom wallet, what are some reasons why/why not someone would use a wallet like that?

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hazard
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2016, 07:20:55 PM

Several altcoins already have such functionality. It goes against the decentralized nature of the software. I'm not a fan of it.

islandcoli (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 07:51:34 PM

Several altcoins already have such functionality. It goes against the decentralized nature of the software. I'm not a fan of it.

Any chance you have a link to one of those altcoins specifically?

Do you say decentralized because one twitter gets to blast info to everyone and perhaps could influence their decisions?

Satoshi was going to use it to broadcast messages, about software updates, problems etc and since wallets are optional, a person could just choose a different wallet?
MyBTT

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 03:52:06 AM

It may be because it encourages centralisation, people listening and tuning in to a certain Central News source. Or maybe, that Core is simply not meant to have all these flashy additions, just the basic abilities.

I'm sure someone could code this into their own wallet, though.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
Coding Enthusiast
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 2783

Bitcoin and C♯ Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2016, 07:17:44 AM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

Would it be possible or maybe it already exists for Bitcoin wallets to display Twitter feeds, or perhaps even a graph displaying the current price/volume.

bitcoin wallet is just a software like any other software so adding these features is not hard or unheard of but some of them have no use so nobody wants it like twitter feed! why would anyone want to see twitter feeds on his bitcoin wallet?!

but price is useful and it is already implemented in Electrum (i don't use other wallets to know more) it is in the plug ins window.

What are the potential risks (if any) to having these API pulls in the wallet software. Can the site who is have their data "pulled" see the IP/Computer info of the wallets pulling it and maybe compromise the anonymity of the person?

to my knowledge there is none (but i may be wrong) because it is a string (json or other formats) that you receive and work on that so it can not be in any other format or like be malicious! it doesn't make sense to me.

as for your IP, yes the site sees your IP based on your code you are just asking the site "give me price" nothing else so the site sees this "IP address XX.XX.XX.XX is asking for price through an API call" that is all. (unless your wallet is shady and sends more information intentionally Cheesy ) in other words there is no way an API call to get price for example can reveal your bitcoin addresses.

I know Satoshi had mentioned adding a way for him to broadcast a message to the all the connected wallets, but wouldn't a twitter feed that displays on a tab in the wallet be more practical?

my knowledge about this matter is limited but there is a difference between sending a message through channels that satoshi had in mind (like alert keys) and a twitter (third party and potentially insecure) channels.

Having wallets display info from other sources seems like a neat addition to a custom wallet, what are some reasons why/why not someone would use a wallet like that?

the following are Electrum plug-ins and to be honest i have no idea what half of them do and i don't care either because i don't find any of it useful for me

is there any particular feature other than twitter feeds and price you have in mind?

Projects List+Suggestion box
Donate: 1Q9s or bc1q
|
|
|
FinderOuter(0.19.1)Ann-git
Denovo(0.7.0)Ann-git
Bitcoin.Net(0.26.0)Ann-git
|
|
|
BitcoinTransactionTool(0.11.0)Ann-git