Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:16:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Govcoin.  (Read 6488 times)
Anonymous

November 01, 2010, 10:12:52 AM

I just realised something today that sent a chill down my spine. Why would the government attack the existing bitcoin when it can fork bitcoin, create its own block chain and force everyone to use its own client that it controls?

They have a monopoly on force so could mandate that everyone uses the nifty new govcoin software. I can imagine the block chain dwarfing the existing block chain quite easily if the state created its own govcoin monopoly. They could then practically track every transaction in the network and force people to have a government registered govcoin address. Then they could tattoo it on your arm.....etc..etc...

Shocked

Am I wrong?Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Aqualung

Activity: 357
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 01, 2010, 10:45:11 AM

what for? Gov already have money totally controlled by them, so what is the need to make new ones?

used to be a miner
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
November 01, 2010, 10:49:19 AM

I just realised something today that sent a chill down my spine. Why would the government attack the existing bitcoin when it can fork bitcoin, create its own block chain and force everyone to use its own client that it controls?

They have a monopoly on force so could mandate that everyone uses the nifty new govcoin software. I can imagine the block chain dwarfing the existing block chain quite easily if the state created its own govcoin monopoly. They could then practically track every transaction in the network and force people to have a government registered govcoin address. Then they could tattoo it on your arm.....etc..etc...

Shocked

Am I wrong?Huh

That is the reason why anonimity and de-centralization is important. And bitcoin has both.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2010, 11:25:12 AM

OMG, they could force us to wear silly hats too.

As mentioned they already have the money issuing pretty much in hand so I don't think they are going to switch to some cryptocurrency.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
November 01, 2010, 11:26:57 AM

For those who are inclined to be paranoid: how do you know that Satoshi isn't already "the government"?
Anonymous

November 01, 2010, 11:39:21 AM

As mentioned they already have the money issuing pretty much in hand so I don't think they are going to switch to some cryptocurrency.

Once hyperinflation sets in they might consider it.

Anonymous

November 01, 2010, 11:41:42 AM

For those who are inclined to be paranoid: how do you know that Satoshi isn't already "the government"?

Its not paranoia its realism. We might never know what the motives are for satoshi.

No one is forcing anyone to use bitcoin so its a non issue really.
Anonymous

November 01, 2010, 11:44:32 AM

what for? Gov already have money totally controlled by them, so what is the need to make new ones?

When the dollar becomes worthless they will look for a viable alternative and attempt to control it I have no doubt.
Anonymous

November 01, 2010, 11:45:27 AM

Shocked

Am I wrong?Huh

That is the reason why anonimity and de-centralization is important. And bitcoin has both.

Just playing devils advocate here  Smiley

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 01, 2010, 11:48:55 AM

Its not paranoia its realism. We might never know what the motives are for satoshi.

No one is forcing anyone to use bitcoin so its a non issue really.

1. I highly doubt if satoshi is working for govs

2. Even if satoshi is working for government, that is a non issue because bitcoin is Open Source.
It does not matter what are satoshi's motives. Open Sourcing BTC solves everything.

If satoshi will be corrupted/bullied by government, we can always fork BTC ourselves. That is the beauty of OS.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2010, 11:50:45 AM

Once hyperinflation sets in they might consider it.

Still, nobody can forbid using of "normal" bitcoin instead of govcoin once they put this in motion.
So there will be two way exchanges between govcoin and bitcoin, exactly as it is now between fiat currencies and bitcoin.

grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
November 01, 2010, 11:53:18 AM

They can't force you to use a money if you don't want to. 

Sure, they can try.  And they have some success.  But the very existence of alternative money such as bitcoin proves you that they are failing.

Aqualung

Activity: 357
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 01, 2010, 11:57:58 AM

When the dollar becomes worthless they will look for a viable alternative and attempt to control it I have no doubt.
you really think that alternative will be digital?
i do not know what should happen to make dollars worthless, but even if that will happen i do not think that gov will force someone to use new currency. You will just use what they will print Smiley Or you will not and you will have no money at all)) Or.. you can move to another gov with euros for example or rubles )))

used to be a miner
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
November 01, 2010, 12:07:41 PM

Quote from: Anonymous
Just playing devils advocate here

Yes, me too.

Personally I'm certain that satoshi is not working for the gov. Bitcoin is clearly the product of an unconstrained mind.
Anonymous

November 01, 2010, 12:25:13 PM

you really think that alternative will be digital?
i do not know what should happen to make dollars worthless, but even if that will happen i do not think that gov will force someone to use new currency. You will just use what they will print Smiley Or you will not and you will have no money at all)) Or.. you can move to another gov with euros for example or rubles )))

I can see such things happening. They would dearly love to get away from cash and use electronic cash cards only.
Anonymous

November 01, 2010, 12:28:53 PM

Quote from: Anonymous
Just playing devils advocate here

Yes, me too.

Personally I'm certain that satoshi is not working for the gov. Bitcoin is clearly the product of an unconstrained mind.

Yes I doubt he is. No government would come up with decentralized money supplies. Although satoshi might be an alien dropped off here from planet x with advanced monetary formulas to free mankind from government control. Cheesy

*downloads another david icke movie...

I am joking of course!
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2010, 12:38:04 PM

Although satoshi might be an alien dropped off here from planet x with advanced monetary formulas to free mankind from government control. Cheesy
*downloads another david icke movie...
I am joking of course!

LOL ^ (2 x n!), n -> ∞.

bober182

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 01, 2010, 07:41:17 PM

Doesn't the government already hate Linux and the Free Software Foundation.
Also if you read Little Brother by Cory Doctorow you will see the power of sneaker net and the hopelessness of the government trying to stop it.
They can take away everything but as long we have notepad and a compiler we can be free.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2010, 09:38:04 PM

Doesn't the government already hate Linux and the Free Software Foundation.

Government hates everything that it cannot control.
Power hungry sickness.

bober182

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2010, 01:39:15 AM

Government hates everything that it cannot control.
Power hungry sickness.
Authority hungry sickness. ~fixed

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: