Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:54:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: eBay Deleting All Bitcoin Listings  (Read 12435 times)
Desu

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:21:22 AM

See topic. eBay is currently aggressively deleting all Bitcoin listings, claiming that selling them "violates intellectual property and copyright."

Your listing has been removed.

Due to potential violations of copyright and/or trademark laws, we do not allow the sale of online game characters or gaming accounts. This also includes selling virtual items from such games. These games and their content remain the property of the copyright holder and as such cannot be listed on our site except by the copyright holder or their licensee. Please do not relist this item.

We don't let sellers list virtual products such as online game characters, accounts, currency, codes that can be redeemed for in-game items, or related software. This helps protect the people who originally created the products and own the rights to reproduce and sell them.

Here's more information on our policy:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/downloadable.html

You may need to take a tutorial. The next time you sell, you may be asked to take the tutorial, if it's required. Once you've completed the tutorial successfully, please review your account status for any other possible concerns. If there are no other issues, you should be able to sell again.

To take the intellectual property tutorial, please visit:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/tutorial/verotutorial/intro.html

Please be aware that any additional violations of this policy may result in the suspension of your account. eBay understands that you may be concerned about this situation.

For more information on why eBay may remove a listing, please visit:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/questions/listing-ended.html

Please be assured that your listings have not been targeted in any way. Although there may be similar items currently listed on eBay, we review all listings that are reported to us by eBay members or Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) program participants. We rely on reports from our members to help maintain the safety and security of our Community. We encourage you to report any items by using the REPORT THIS ITEM button on the listing so we can quickly remove any other items that should be removed.

If you have additional questions, contact our policy experts. Get started by clicking the link below:
http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactCS&Query=1337&Domain=Homer_EOA&From=5339

We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks,

eBay

Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.

Pretty disgusting huh?
Stupid ebay is stupid.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Swishercutter

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:21:57 AM

I have been done with ebay ever since they told me that their feedback system is not meant to determine how credible a transaction is...I had over 600 positive with no negative...this guy had a 3 and they sided with him without talking to me...pulled the money at the first sign of a complaint so I had no recourse except to repay the money to rectify my paypal/ebay account without facing credit hits.

Another thing I find funny...they will tell you that they are "2 separate companies" and that "comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges", to which I responded "No...its like comparing apples and macs...don't feed me your bullshit"...between that and them telling me "they would have refunded my seller fees had I refunded the buyers money at the first complaint"...basically, I should not have argued...ended my ebay store that day and never looked back.

So you've blacklisted eBay.  Grin

How far are you willing to go to spread the word that eBay is a bullshit corporation? Would you blacklist individuals that still do business with eBay? Too soon? eBay isn't quite evil enough yet?

LOL...yep...blacklisted...doesn't mean anyone has to follow my blacklist...nor is it typically public.
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:24:46 AM

Screw ebay

Amen!

Screw eBay.  

Screw PayPal.

They are evil... and we don't need them.
Desu

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:24:52 AM

I have been done with ebay ever since they told me that their feedback system is not meant to determine how credible a transaction is...I had over 600 positive with no negative...this guy had a 3 and they sided with him without talking to me...pulled the money at the first sign of a complaint so I had no recourse except to repay the money to rectify my paypal/ebay account without facing credit hits.

Another thing I find funny...they will tell you that they are "2 separate companies" and that "comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges", to which I responded "No...its like comparing apples and macs...don't feed me your bullshit"...between that and them telling me "they would have refunded my seller fees had I refunded the buyers money at the first complaint"...basically, I should not have argued...ended my ebay store that day and never looked back.

So you've blacklisted eBay.  Grin

How far are you willing to go to spread the word that eBay is a bullshit corporation? Would you blacklist individuals that still do business with eBay? Too soon? eBay isn't quite evil enough yet?

LOL...yep...blacklisted...doesn't mean anyone has to follow my blacklist...nor is it typically public.

It's all good. I'll blacklist those fuckers with you. I've closed my paypal account as well.
When BTC gets bigger, Ebay will beg for it's users. The best type of currency is one that can't be faked, Just like BTC.
Desu

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:26:01 AM

Screw ebay

Amen!

Screw eBay. 

Screw PayPal.

Amen, Man. BTC is to Amazing. By the way, Love the show<3
Swishercutter

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:28:23 AM

So you've blacklisted eBay.  Grin

It's all good. I'll blacklist those fuckers with you. I've closed my paypal account as well.

Honestly, I have purchased things there still...no reason to punish the sellers...I just no longer pay seller fees/monthly store fees myself. I understand I still technically support their evil but just not to the same extent.

I knew there was trouble brewing when they eliminated the ability to leave negative feedback for a buyer.
Adam

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:40:17 AM

Screw ebay

Amen!

Screw eBay.  

Screw PayPal.

Some of us still need them

/sickbrag

BattleTitans.io  ▼  Mobile PvP Arena of the Future  ▼  BattleTitans.io
The Most Promising ICO in October    [Join Now!]

▼  [FB]  ▬  [TW]  ▬  [TG]  ▬▬▬  [YU]  ▼
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:09:38 AM

i was on ebay almost from the beginning - antiquarian books is my line.

i sold over a quarter million USD:  one book at a time, and all of 'em good, solid, desirable books - no complaints.

it was over for me when sellers were no longer allowed to leave proper feedback on buyers.  it didn't seem to matter that sellers were where ebay got its money from.  we were ebay's customers; not the buyers.

pierre would never have allowed ebay to become what it has.

i just got tired of being treated like a dishrag.

a shame.  but no regrets - life's too short.

i'm sure they'll churn out a politician or two without me.
Swishercutter

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:18:37 AM

it was over for me when sellers were no longer allowed to leave proper feedback on buyers.  it didn't seem to matter that sellers were where ebay got its money from.  we were ebay's customers; not the buyers.

That was my point in my last phone call with them...I suspect several of my calls have been used for "training purposes" due to my argumentative nature...I get my calls escalated a lot.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:37:57 AM

That was my point in my last phone call with them...I suspect several of my calls have been used for "training purposes" due to my argumentative nature...I get my calls escalated a lot.

yeah, i did that too a few years ago.  no point.

my sympathies, & etc.

Bitcoin will bury them (to paraphrase Nikita Kruschev) - and revenge is a dish best served cold.
Epinnoia

Activity: 209

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:07:47 AM

Paypal makes money on currency trades/transfers.  In that sense, they're not unlike Moneygram, Western Union, etc.  Bitcoin is a THREAT to that revenue stream. 

My first miner -> ATI 4550 (7.2 Mh/sec): 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cryptospeculators/
bitrebel

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:56:48 AM

I've never seen more doomsayers in one place in my life.
Since this was posted, I have not seen a bit of difference on e-bay. There are even more auctions if anything. Paypal might be giving people problems with charge backs for certain people, but the listings are still there.

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
mikegogulski

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 09:20:19 AM

eBay doesn't want to participate in the new economy. Fuck them. They will be left behind, wondering where they went wrong.

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 10:10:40 AM

so we're a game currency now? cool

a distributed massive multiplayer online trading name called "Capitalism 2.0", I suppose? Tongue

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 02:25:10 PM

Since major brands now have "stores" on eBay...

I cannot boycott any business who does business with eBay.

However, what you and I CAN do is:

(1)    Scream it far and wide.  Tell EVERYONE you come in contact with about how evil eBay-PayPal is.   How they seize your money and never return it... for no reason at all.

(2)     If you do browse eBay, there's always a way to contact the seller directly.  Get their contact information.   Tell the seller that you REFUSE to do business through the eBay or PayPal system.  Tell them you insist on taking your business out of ( bypassing ) eBay-Paypal's evil claws.

(3)     Never never never pay fees to eBay or PayPal.   Never buy a listing on eBay.  And certainly, never attach any bank account to PayPal.

Support the blooming new alternatives springing up fast now.

See http://bitcoinme.com and the Shopping tab.
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 02:42:10 PM

Just did a search now for bitcoin on ebay and found 82 results.

Edit: One of the sellers doesn't understand what 'micro' means, or is deliberately lying about it's definition:

"I am selling ONE Micro Bitcoin (A Micro Bitcoin is worth 1/100 of a Bitcoin)."

Swishercutter

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 02:48:27 PM

Just did a search now for bitcoin on ebay and found 82 results.

Edit: One of the sellers doesn't understand what 'micro' means, or is deliberately lying about it's definition:

"I am selling ONE Micro Bitcoin (A Micro Bitcoin is worth 1/100 of a Bitcoin)."

It'll take them time...they will get around to them I am sure.  From my understanding of how they work this process is not fully automated...still requires humans to make the positive distinction...they may use automation to create a list but a human still needs to review that list.

Plus, having dealt with listings in the past there may be a warning while they are listing the item which can be ignored or circumvented (changing keywords), but it does not mean they won't review it/remove it later.
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 02:57:23 PM

Dealing with ebay and paypal is a necessary evil to being a seller online.  I've had probably $1,000 scammed from me in various chargebacks over the years, both paypal and ebay case resolution always sides with the buyer.  Paypal also is holding $6,000 of my money hostage indefinitely as a retainer presumably until I completely close my account.  Oh, and I also pay them about $6k a month in fees.  It sucks, but it won't stop me from using them until something better comes along.
Things won't change unless ebay sellers start making a statement with their actions, a lot of them already did, I believe.

http://mashable.com/2008/10/14/ebay-alternatives/

Amazon marketplace is not much better btw. Apparently Satoshi is the only one allowed to sell his e-book there, really?   Grin
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:40:05 PM

Let's all stop hating on big corporations. At least trade and interaction with them is voluntary. We can moan about Paypal and eBay fees and policies, but both have revolutionized the world and I would argue deserve a fair amount of respect. Silly to hate on a company that coerces nobody. Disagree on policies, yes, but to call them "evil?"  If eBay is evil, what does that make the Federal Reserve?  Wink

Swishercutter

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:48:11 PM

Let's all stop hating on big corporations. At least trade and interaction with them is voluntary. We can moan about Paypal and eBay fees and policies, but both have revolutionized the world and I would argue deserve a fair amount of respect. Silly to hate on a company that coerces nobody. Disagree on policies, yes, but to call them "evil?"  If eBay is evil, what does that make the Federal Reserve?  Wink

Their current incarnation is not what changed the world...the gamechangers are long gone from those companies.  Ebay is evil because they changed the only good thing going for them...the feedback system...to inconvenience the seller, that coupled with increasing fees, little recourse by the seller in the cases of buyer complaints, eliminating alternate payment systems cash/money order especially, there are more things that I am sure more people will point out.

Trade and interaction is voluntary with them...but not individually...by this I mean if you want to use ebay paypal sorta comes with it...but they will tell you they are separate.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: