Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:36:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Somebody is trying to steal batch 1 Avalon shippments from DHL!  (Read 12506 times)
ButchHashidy

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

...and the BitcoinKid

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 06:11:59 AM

few people however, like OP can not wait and are impatient, then something like this happens.

Not the best sentence. If he wouldnt have been impatient the avalon would simply have been stolen. And when you give the package to the post you get the tracking number in this moment. If the trackingid didnt arrive then i only can think of that an employee didnt collect it carefully to give it to you.

Unfortuanately, Bitsyncom used a forwarding service to save money on shipping. It is this random forwarder that actually ships them with DHL. Bitsyncom chose a forwarder that won't provide him with the tracking numbers, so he can't provide them to his customers.

Bitsyncom, stop using that forwarding service!

We already switched. part of growing pains, not that I expect any body here to understand.

BitSyncom,
With utmost respect to the bitcointalk forums and to the entire Avalon team, I think it would prove to be most judicious for any foreigners outside of mainland china to watch the Ai Wei Wei documentary "Never Sorry," to get a better picture of the government we're dealing with here.  Realize the hand that BitSyn and his team have been dealt and be grateful we've come this far in a community drenched in controversy and deceit.  I dare say Avalon has put more then their pocketbooks on the line with these batches.  I think since we've entered uncharted territories it's becoming a learning experience for everyone.  I thank the OP for sharing this with the community to give us insight on what to look out for.

Jumpin' Jack Hash is a gas gas gaas

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
exahash

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 06:49:20 PM

maybe they can write on parcel DO NOT SHIP TO AN ADDRESS DIFFERENT FROM THE ONE MENTIONED

You can write  "Do Not Forward" or "Postmaster: Do Not Forward"  but that might not work with a private courier.
Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:55:01 PM

EMS is China Post.   Then they hand it off to USPS (or Canada Post) or whatever country you are in.  EMS is usually faster than other couriers out of china.   But china has a LOT of holidays where people just do not work and even the government shuts down.

Thanks. I hope they have more strict policy for changing receiving address.

Yes, EMS has great security, it is like google's (impossible to contact for help).

EMS is your local post office. They can look up packages in EMS system. I regularly receive EMS from India and China and many other countries. All of ours are sent registered mail, it is essentially under lock and key. You need to make friends with your post master.

No, EMS is NOT your local post office.   It is the name used by each countries post office for their Express Mail Service.   Since these shipments originate in CHINA, it is China post UNTIL it is handed to customs in your home country, then you can track it.   If you track it before all you see is outbound from XXXX.    And, please do go and try to call China Post and say you are Joe Blow from XXXXX zip code and do you have a package coming my way.   Let me know how that works for you.

Yes it is "the local post office" its handed around to each of them and they can look up things between each other, although there is usually some lag, a day or two.

the post office, specifically the post master ( in the US ) does have the ability to look up packages in EMS system by address. If they like you and feel like it.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:59:15 PM

As mentioned pages ago. Screwing with the mail is a VERY SERIOUS crime. Call the cops and they MUST investigate. I know that bitcoin can confuse them, but mail fraud they know very well.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Aseras

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:17:27 PM

technically UPS Fedex and DHL are cargo, not mail. But since it's "mail fraud" across state lines it's still a federal crime.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:20:51 PM

technically UPS Fedex and DHL are cargo, not mail. But since it's "mail fraud" across state lines it's still a federal crime.
Good points to mention. But yes, cross a state line and you are in big trouble. If it was the U.S. mail... well, it's off with your head.   Undecided

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:30:40 PM

And the package is listed as $299 value. Realistically, they're not going to do anything over such a cheap package.

Buy & Hold
shibaji

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:34:32 PM

And the package is listed as $299 value. Realistically, they're not going to do anything over such a cheap package.

Not true. Just try & see.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:37:44 PM

I tried to email the DHL support of my country. They replied me that they won't change the destination address without the permission from the sender. However, i've tried myself in the past, it is simply not true. You just have to be cool at the phone.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:42:23 PM

I've dealt with a lot of fraud over the years. Nothing ever comes of the "investigations". The new name and address where this package was redirected to isn't the actual person comitting the fraud. They're not that stupid.

Buy & Hold
shibaji

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:06:58 PM

I've dealt with a lot of fraud over the years. Nothing ever comes of the "investigations". The new name and address where this package was redirected to isn't the actual person comitting the fraud. They're not that stupid.

That is possible. I am just saying they will not ignore the request because of $ value.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 01:39:53 AM

I now had some conversations via email with DHL because i wanted to be sure that wont happen to me. They told me that:
"An address change can be made only by the freight payer, quoting the tracking-number,
or the receiver, should he not be reachable at the target address will get a notice card, it is then possible to deliver in the same area to a new address. However, a prerequisite is the personal presence or power of attorney issued to the person who is authorized to take the shipping by presentation of ID."

So only the sender can change the address. Maybe its different in china but it would be strange that a multinational corporate like DHL will have different rules. On the other hand... who knows who works at these bureaus...
Im not sure what to think about this when this actually happened.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Joshster

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:47:38 AM

My guess would be that they shipped it to a abounded or someone unsuspecting house where they can wait outside and try haggle the package, still there must be phone records or something.
Aseras

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:09:24 PM

I now had some conversations via email with DHL because i wanted to be sure that wont happen to me. They told me that:
"An address change can be made only by the freight payer, quoting the tracking-number,
or the receiver, should he not be reachable at the target address will get a notice card, it is then possible to deliver in the same area to a new address. However, a prerequisite is the personal presence or power of attorney issued to the person who is authorized to take the shipping by presentation of ID."

So only the sender can change the address. Maybe its different in china but it would be strange that a multinational corporate like DHL will have different rules. On the other hand... who knows who works at these bureaus...
Im not sure what to think about this when this actually happened.

You be surprised how many rules can be ignored for a handful of cash.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 12:01:58 PM

You know what... now i spoke with another person there that seems to know more. And she wrote:

"No, it would not be correct to say that employees of DHL Express work in China less responsibly than Elsewhere. As you told Mrs. ***, only the freight payer or customer may cause a change of the contract awarded. The receiver in turn can cause the delivery to another address only when a delivery attempt has already been made ​​and he was asked by DHL Express to envisage a second delivery.

Moreover, as also mentioned in the thread, even item numbers covered by the policy. If a customer knows the shipment number, pretending to be the sender, receiver or freight payer, it can also give an address change by phone, even without being able to prove their identity. Our employees are trained, however, to recognize and detect fraud attempts of this kind.

If a shipment was misdirected, DHL Express provides for the immediate retrieval of the broadcast. In the rare cases where a shipment must be reported lost replacement services to our general transport conditions are done.

We assure you that the case you described is a rare event that is not representative of the high service standards of DHL Express."

So in fact the thread was fully correct. And its not only china. If one has the shipping number one can change the delivery. And even though they claim that the shipping number has to be treated confidential it seems to be possible to get the number by calling dhl. That opens scam every door isnt it? Even when one claims that the wrong target address could be visited... there are many way. Let it send to a small shop and collect it, wait in front of a house and claim youre mr. *** or whatever.

I cant let this lay down if its really this way. I mean thats an open security hole if all infos till now are right. So now they gave me the contact for security problems at DHL. I hope they have a better feeling about the problem and are able to change something if all is true.

iikun
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:10:19 PM

EMS is sometimes better at final delivery but they have weak security on handover between countries. My previous company actually stopped using them due to their permanently losing several of our packages.

I personally have tried to deal with them when they lost my own package & it was ridiculous. 
Local P.O. said "It arrived on flight XYZ in London, ask the UK"
UK P.O. said "We never received it, ask origin country's PO"

It went back & forth like that...
...caused huuuuge headache for me & I spent a couple of days just sorting the whole thing out to help my client get replacement docs.

So I agree that DHL is shameful for what they did here, but I don't think any shipper is 100% safe.
seljo
Legendary

Activity: 1178
Merit: 1014

Hodling since 2011.®

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:34:23 PM

Movie script.... except for the trolling.  Grin

Hodling since 2011.®
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 02:38:01 PM

Hm... i chose EMS as the only option... hope all goes well then.

Youre right about the security with all companies. I had a problem with a third sender too. There are documentations in TV that there are big hills of packages in their centers and its simply easy to steal something there. Not hard to do. Such problems will every shipper have.

I only think that unnecessary risks should be closed if possible. I mean when you lose a pc and get a refund its not much trouble. But losing an avalon you waited months for you lose money way more than the avalon is worth.

coastermonger

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 09:20:00 PM

could any one tell me, how to give a non-exist tracking number to our customers?

first, we send the packages to HK-DHL agent.

agent transport them to HK, a few days time.

packages picked up at HK.

after about 1 week, they will give us the tracking number if we ask for.

to most country, 1 week time is enough for a delivery.

if anything goes wrong, like custom issues happened or wrong tel number or something , our agent will call us, give us the tracking number, let us contect with our customer. i think multiple people get my email when they having custom issues or DHL can not find you.

why we use such a screwed work flow?

1, save shipment cost.
2, if we go to DHL directly, they didn't accept this device, there is PSU and FANs in it, which is contraband. only these agent can send them out by doing some bribery work. if we tell them we are not satisfied, they simply ask us to deal with DHL ourself instead.

fuck

I actually found this quote by ngzahng to be pretty disturbing.  So they can't ship DHL directly because fans and PSU are considered contraband?  They have to "bribe" a local Hk-DHL facility to go around it? 

I swear to god I'm about ready to buy a plane ticket to HKG, knock on some doors, and fly home with the thing on my lap.

Bitrated user: Rees.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 09:22:57 PM

I swear to god I'm about ready to buy a plane ticket to HKG, knock on some doors, and fly home with the thing on my lap.
And you are not alone. However, this was defined as impossible from Avalon.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: