Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:38:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Questions  (Read 1461 times)
theGECK (OP)

Activity: 411
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 06:02:56 PM

Posting this for the_joey_o, who has lost his ability to post, and has already contacted DiabloD3 about it, but still wants to ask.

First: I've heard that with Windows 7, you have to have a separate monitor for every GPU. Is this correct? Is there any way around this (besides going to Linux)?

Second: I've built and repaired computers before, but I've never worked with slot extenders/adapters or any specialized cooling systems. I've got two PCI-E X16, two PCI and two PCI X1 slots on my mobo. If I wanted 4 or more 5770s to mine bitcoins, what sort of adapter is best for this?  Edit: I mentioned to the_joey_o that there was some work on here before of people using PCIE x1 slots to connect a GPU to it. Is that something that is actually viable?

Third, I understand I'm going to be doing a fair amount of jerry-rigging here, so what cooling systems should I be looking at?

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FreeJAC

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 06:54:57 PM

First: Google dummy plugs. If there is no monitor detected the miner can't use the GPU. You CAN connect a monitor temporarily, fire things up and then take it off etc. It becomes a PITA factor really fast and makes things difficult if you want to run things headless. Dummy plug is the answer basically gives the GPU a monitor load, fools it into detecting the monitor. 

Donate here.... 18NiDLDA3qRxkEPN36xrzsdSgvEkbDKgNr
the_joey_o

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 09:06:45 PM

First: Google dummy plugs. If there is no monitor detected the miner can't use the GPU. You CAN connect a monitor temporarily, fire things up and then take it off etc. It becomes a PITA factor really fast and makes things difficult if you want to run things headless. Dummy plug is the answer basically gives the GPU a monitor load, fools it into detecting the monitor. 

Thanks Geck & FreeJAC! Any help on the other two questions will be greatly appreciated!
FreeJAC

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:38:48 AM

Second: You can get the connectors here https://cablesaurus.com/ and you are going to need a massive power supply. I have not used them personally but many others here have. I can't really speak to the cooling other than using something like GPU-Z to keep an eye on the temps. With a 4 card miner I would probably not use a case and just put everything together on the bench with some fans. Have a look at the youtube videos for some ideas.

Donate here.... 18NiDLDA3qRxkEPN36xrzsdSgvEkbDKgNr
the_joey_o

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 03:19:49 AM

Second: You can get the connectors here https://cablesaurus.com/ and you are going to need a massive power supply. I have not used them personally but many others here have. I can't really speak to the cooling other than using something like GPU-Z to keep an eye on the temps. With a 4 card miner I would probably not use a case and just put everything together on the bench with some fans. Have a look at the youtube videos for some ideas.

Thanks again FreeJAC! I'm going to gamble on the ability to cool these cards. I think, if the two that will fit in the case get too hot to be in the case, I'll just get a cable extender and pull them out of the case. Hopefully that'll do the trick. I'll just have to keep up on my dusting. :/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: