Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:37:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Mining Use Same Amount of Energy As Heating Per Temperature?  (Read 665 times)
paramind22 (OP)

Activity: 2632
Merit: 550

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2016, 05:09:00 PM

Does mining use same amount of energy as heating per temperature?  That is, is there any extra calculations by electronic items that does not generate heat and uses electricity that you thus have to pay for?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sanutos

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 05:25:26 PM

The power consumption is related to the temperature. But the temperature is also affected by environment tempearture, and the fan speed.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 10:17:06 PM

A miner is very close to a resistance heater on BTU/watt ratio - close enough you won't see any practical difference.

There is a TINY amount that gets used for communication but in practice it still turns to heat - just in the LAN switch not in the miner - and the amount is TINY compared to the total power usage of the miner.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
snowyNNN

Activity: 422
Merit: 251

Pasl [Xci-r.i.p.] Eth Zcl Kmd Zen Rep Xmr Sc Neo

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 11:11:29 PM

The law of conservation of energy.

█▀▀▄░▄▀▀▄░▄▀▀▀░█░░░  Xmr Sc Pasc Rlc Zen           ✦       (\__/)       ✦
█▀▀░░█▀▀█░░▀▀▄░█░░░  Zcl Kmd Ltc Rep Dash                  (='.'=) 
█░░░░█░░█░███▀░███░ Pasl [Xci-r.i.p.] Eth Btc             ✦   (")_(")  ✦           ▲▼ Anonymous ▲▼ Community Driven     XULT.com
RozoTheMiner

Activity: 200
Merit: 103

Hello Bitcoin World!!

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2016, 11:31:03 PM

Every 1200 to 1300 watt will produce about 4500 BTUs

Good Luck!

I am heating my house with 4 miners integrated into my heating and air system. https://www.youtube.com/c/TheBitcoinMiner
Crypto Clothing and Gear https://TheBlockGear.com
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 11:58:55 PM

As has been said, a computer will for the most part act the same as a heating element.

You can use the formula 1W = 3.412141633 BTU/hr to get a good idea of the amount of BTUs you will produce, i.e. a 1000 watt draw (measured at-the-wall) will generate ~3412 BTU/hr.

The actual heat will be generated by the various pathways and components in the chain, which in a typical miner rig include: power supply, motherboard, CPU, RAM, HDD or SDD, and of course the GPUs.
LoneRangir

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 02:13:26 AM

You can keep a room warm, provided you like the sound of fans.
Q_R_V

Activity: 428
Merit: 250

Inactivity: 8963

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 10:31:30 AM

Or you can place big radiator on your gpu and make it run passive - a good solution if noise is an issue.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 04:12:38 PM

the heat generated it's not really healthy i would avoid putting 3 rig(for example) in your room just to heat it
paramind22 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 04:46:01 PM

the heat generated it's not really healthy i would avoid putting 3 rig(for example) in your room just to heat it

Is there a chemical smell that comes from bigger ASICs running?  Or, are you talking about something else, like energy/waves?

K1lo

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

Moar mining!!! .. oh wait, that's too much

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 04:47:28 PM

Some rather unscientific responses here  Huh .. let me clear some things up.

Complete rubbish. It's possible that trace amounts of solvents or chemicals used in the manufacturer of circuit boards will be emitted as the temperature of the component is raised, however these will only ever be trace amounts and will decrease extremely fast over time. Even electric radiators will have the same 'chemical smell' (more from my experience) and recommend you run them at full power for 24 hours in a ventilated place before general use.

Mining equipment has two ratings - electrical consumption and thermal output.

For clarity, let's ignore the electrical consumption and just focus on thermal output (it will usually be close to electrical, depending on the type of mining it may be much less but never more).

If your mining equipment (CPU + GPU + general thermal emissions from motherboard, power regulators etc) outputs 400 Watts thermal - this will be equivalent to an electric or other type of radiator rated at the same energy output (thermal).

The amount of thermal energy radiated from mining hardware does not change based on the temperature of the surrounding air. The temperature of the surrounding air affects how efficiently the heat from the thermal interfaces (i.e. heatsinks) will be transferred to the air the passes over them. The bigger the difference between the air temperature and the heat source temperature, the more efficiently the energy will be transferred (assuming all else is equal). This is why in a cold room air emitted from a PC might seem hotter than a hotter room.

Lastly. something to bear in mind is that most electric heaters are not designed for full power 24/7 operation. They tend to cycle on/off based on internal temperature and any thermostat settings. Mining hardware will continue to output heat at a constant rate irrespective of the temperature of the air around it. Of course, if the air in the surrounding area becomes so hot that it can no longer cool the mining hardware fast enough and the fans can't spin any faster, most equipment will clock lower to prevent damage to components. I'm not sure if this is the case for ASICs as I've never run one but it's certainly the case for CPUs and GPUs.

Hope that helps.

Developer, tinkerer, miner, coin holder, hopelessly amateurish trader
paramind22 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 05:13:23 PM
Last edit: October 09, 2016, 05:39:21 PM by paramind22

Complete rubbish. It's possible that trace amounts of solvents or chemicals used in the manufacturer of circuit boards will be emitted as the temperature of the component is raised, however these will only ever be trace amounts and will decrease extremely fast over time. Even electric radiators will have the same 'chemical smell' (more from my experience) and recommend you run them at full power for 24 hours in a ventilated place before general use.

For clarity, let's ignore the electrical consumption and just focus on thermal output (it will usually be close to electrical, depending on the type of mining it may be much less but never more).

If your mining equipment (CPU + GPU + general thermal emissions from motherboard, power regulators etc) outputs 400 Watts thermal - this will be equivalent to an electric or other type of radiator rated at the same energy output (thermal).

The amount of thermal energy radiated from mining hardware does not change based on the temperature of the surrounding air. The temperature of the surrounding air affects how efficiently the heat from the thermal interfaces (i.e. heatsinks) will be transferred to the air the passes over them. The bigger the difference between the air temperature and the heat source temperature, the more efficiently the energy will be transferred (assuming all else is equal). This is why in a cold room air emitted from a PC might seem hotter than a hotter room.

Lastly. something to bear in mind is that most electric heaters are not designed for full power 24/7 operation. They tend to cycle on/off based on internal temperature and any thermostat settings. Mining hardware will continue to output heat at a constant rate irrespective of the temperature of the air around it. Of course, if the air in the surrounding area becomes so hot that it can no longer cool the mining hardware fast enough and the fans can't spin any faster, most equipment will clock lower to prevent damage to components. I'm not sure if this is the case for ASICs as I've never run one but it's certainly the case for CPUs and GPUs.

Hope that helps.

Great post.  One point, that any fumes that come out will be filtered by the constant work of the lungs.  Of course, a good air filtration could possibly take away any chemicals that may be outputted.  As far as cooling the air, not sure how much of a difference this would make, and it's probably been tried, but there are those plastic bottles that juices come in.  I wonder if putting water in sealed ones up to about 2 inches, freezing them, and putthing them near a machine would have any affect for a measurable amount of time.  If one is a serious miner one could imagine buying a separate freezer and keeping a supply of them going.  But there is this for $115:

"The Honeywell 15-Pint Indoor Portable Evaporative Air Cooler provides efficient and inexpensive cooling in areas up to 100 square feet. Standing just over 2-feet tall on durable casters for easy mobility, the Honeywell evaporative cooler is lightweight a.Cools up to 100 square feet.Dehumidifies up to 15 pints of moisture.Cleanses air with carbon air filter.Provides natural air circulation and even distribution of cool air.Small and portable unit for easy mobility.Requires power of only 120 V / 60 Hz, 60 W, and 0.45 A.Air flow up to 150 CFM.Features remote control, LED display, and automatic shutoff timer.Product dimensions: 25.4 by 15 by 9.8 inches (H x W x D).The Honeywell CSO71AE 15-Pint Indoor Portable Evaporative Air Cooler is lightweight and energy-efficient, yet cools areas up to 100 square feet..Efficient Cooling and DehumidifyingThe Honeywell 15-Pint Portable Evaporative Air Cooler provides improved air circulation thanks to its oscillating louvers and three fan speeds, while its honeycomb cooling media offers fast cooling...."

which would of course be counterproductive in cold weather.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 05:36:27 PM

Hope that helps.

there was however a story of a guy which had health problems after sleeping for a long time with his asic(not rig) in his room, i don't remember if it was a farm or junst a single asic, maybe it's not the same for gpu
Q_R_V

Activity: 428
Merit: 250

Inactivity: 8963

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 05:53:29 PM

It depends what kind of solder was used (lead free or with lead), what kind of flux, if boards have been cleaned and washed properly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: