Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:02:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin newjack needs some help  (Read 1253 times)
lopro (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2016, 05:06:08 AM

Hi all,

I just opened an account with Coinbase to purchase my first bitcoins with credit card.

I also created a wallet with Multibit HD on Mac OS x.

Then I sent my newly purchased bitcoins from Coinbase to my Multibit wallet (I hit send/request in Multibit, copied the recipient string, then went to my Coinbase account hit send/request and pasted the string from Multibit, selected the amount, hit "send funds").  Note:  I did not specify any amount or anything in the send/request on the multibit wallet side where I wanted to receive funds.  I'm basically trying to send funds from one source that needed ID verification to another source that didn't need ID verification.

After about 30 minutes of the outgoing transfer being pending on my Coinbase account, it finally registered SENT!

Problem is, I still don't see anything on my Multibit account. It's been about 2hrs now.  I've tried to reset, log on and off, etc.

What am I doing wrong?  Is it the fact that I did not specify a corresponding amount when I requested the funds on Multibit?  Is it the fact that I purchased the bitcoin with a brand new Coinbase account with a credit card and it takes a couple days to actually show up...I thought it was an instant purchase, but I get it if they don't release credit card money immediately.  Maybe it has something to do with my Block Explorer??

I'm baffled, but definitely don't know what I'm doing...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xht

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

hey you, yeah you, fuck you!!!

View Profile
October 12, 2016, 06:59:05 AM

whether you see the balance in your account, they always move the funds into a cold wallet so you do not see the funds in bitcoin wallet address.

altcoinhosting

Activity: 896
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 12, 2016, 07:01:14 AM

Can you specify the address you generated in your multibit account, or maybe the transaction id in coinbase??? (i'm not a coinbase user, but they should be able to give you the transaction id).

If you can't find those, you can always contact coinbases' support, ask them for the transaction id.

NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 12, 2016, 07:01:22 AM

Did you see any funds in your coinbase account? If so, it has nothing to do with your credit card and you got your bitcoins in coinbase. Do the coins still show after trying to send them to your multibit account?

As far as multibit, you only need to specifiy how much coins you want to receive if you want someone to pay you by scanning the QR code.

Can you provide a TX id from your coinbase withdrawel? We can see what is going on in that case. Or provide the address that you wanted to send the coins to, we can than trace the transaction if it was sent.
lopro1

Activity: 1

View Profile
October 12, 2016, 11:46:04 AM

Did you see any funds in your coinbase account? If so, it has nothing to do with your credit card and you got your bitcoins in coinbase. Do the coins still show after trying to send them to your multibit account?

As far as multibit, you only need to specifiy how much coins you want to receive if you want someone to pay you by scanning the QR code.

Can you provide a TX id from your coinbase withdrawel? We can see what is going on in that case. Or provide the address that you wanted to send the coins to, we can than trace the transaction if it was sent.

This is bitcoin address is sent to: 1GV13nHk4ZEKrfMqFnRkMqvPoBmXDzLDeR

When I look in Multibit, I see the above text string related to QR code for a request, but that same request has a different bitcoin address???

All I know is the bitcoin was definitely in my Coinbase before I sent, and is now sent.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
October 12, 2016, 05:59:52 PM

- snip -
copied the recipient string, then went to my Coinbase account hit send/request and pasted the string from Multibit,
- snip -

- snip -
This is bitcoin address is sent to: 1GV13nHk4ZEKrfMqFnRkMqvPoBmXDzLDeR

When I look in Multibit, I see the above text string related to QR code for a request, but that same request has a different bitcoin address???
- snip -

Perhaps you have some malware running on your computer that stole your bitcoins?

I can see in the blockchain that a transaction of 0.16438317 BTC definitely was sent to the address 1GV13nHk4ZEKrfMqFnRkMqvPoBmXDzLDeR.

Ten minutes later those bitcoins were spent in a transaction with the following transactionID:
0abc009dd127e041d1f47e8bd9c4689c27b018e35c96cfd836680c687b30989a

That second transaction sent the bitcoins to 2 addresses:
0.00202637 BTC were sent to 16PCmKb1pWBejBkLMgTYd3V4xMpEKjWKr1
0.1622 BTC were sent to 347MhzcCJUnX33SMbzouWBtHY3dzLSDsYj
The remaining 0.0001568 BTC were used to pay a transaction fee.

There is malware that is known to mess with the clipboard on computers.  When you try to "copy" a bitcoin address, the malware will replace the address in the clipboard with the thief's bitcoin address.  Then when you "paste" the address, it will paste the thief's bitcoin address instead of your own.  If you don't look carefully at the address to make sure it is the one you intended to use, then you will end up sending your bitcoins to the thief instead of yourself.

Is this perhaps what happened?

Can you try the exact same copy and paste process again as last time (don't actually send anything though), only this time look closely at the address that you copy and the address that you paste to see if they are the same?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2016, 06:15:26 PM

Is your MultiBit fully synced? If it is not synced, then it will not know about your transactions.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2016, 06:23:00 PM

Is your MultiBit fully synced? If it is not synced, then it will not know about your transactions.

achow101,

Did you look at the address he said Coinbase sent to?

Those bitcoins have already been spent.

Did you notice that he said the address Coinbase sent to is NOT the address that is currently displayed in MultiBit is different than the address that Coinbase sent to?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2016, 06:42:35 PM

achow101,
Totally missed his second post, sorry. Scrolled past sig spam too quickly and missed it.

Did you notice that he said the address Coinbase sent to is NOT the address that is currently displayed in MultiBit is different than the address that Coinbase sent to?
Isn't the address he posted the address that he thought he gave Coinbase? But then Coinbase says it sent to a different address? If Coinbase didn't send to the address he posted, then why did it have any transactions?

OP, Coinbase should give you the txid of the transaction it sent from your account. Can you please post that txid?

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2016, 06:53:29 PM

Totally missed his second post, sorry. Scrolled past sig spam too quickly and missed it.

Which is exactly why I think this forum is falling into a state of uselessness.

There are MANY threads that I normally would get involved in discussion, but I open the thread, see the entire first page is nothing but sig ad spam, and figure, "it's just not worth my time and effort to step into this mess, nobody is going to notice anything worthwhile in this thread because they'll be scrolling past all the trash".  If I see a thread that I'm not subscribed to and it is more than 1 page long, I don't even bother opening it.

Isn't the address he posted the address that he thought he gave Coinbase?

It's not clear yet, but I think the address he posted in the thread is the address he DID give Coinbase (or at least I think it is the address that Coinbase told him they sent to).

But then Coinbase says it sent to a different address?

No.  I think Coinbase probably actually did send to that address.  There is clearly a transaction to that address in the blockchain today.

If Coinbase didn't send to the address he posted, then why did it have any transactions?

He says that the address in MultiBit is different.  I think (I'm not sure yet, and am still waiting for the OP to come back and clarify some things) that he probably gave Coinbase the wrong address.  Coinbase probably sent to the address that he asked Coinbase to send to.  But that might not be an address in his MultiBit wallet.

OP, Coinbase should give you the txid of the transaction it sent from your account. Can you please post that txid?

Yes.

What is the transaction ID of the transaction that Coinbase sent?
How did you get the address from MultiBit to Coinbase?
Have you checked for Malware on your computer?
Have you tried copy/paste with an address from MultiBit again to see if the address changes when you paste it?
Can you post a screen capture of the MultiBit screen with your bitcoin address so we can see if you got the address properly?
Are you certain you downloaded the "real" MultiBit, and that you didn't accidentally download a "fake" MultiBit from a phishing site?
lopro (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2016, 10:46:15 PM

achow101,

Isn't the address he posted the address that he thought he gave Coinbase? But then Coinbase says it sent to a different address? If Coinbase didn't send to the address he posted, then why did it have any transactions?

Coinbase txid (at least I think this is txid):

e8ce9bdc2f273f07647a151c9639e0d54085674a7c4e4ddf6af7bf85615dfe40
lopro (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2016, 11:02:12 PM

Which is exactly why I think this forum is falling into a state of uselessness.

There are MANY threads that I normally would get involved in discussion, but I open the thread, see the entire first page is nothing but sig ad spam, and figure, "it's just not worth my time and effort to step into this mess, nobody is going to notice anything worthwhile in this thread because they'll be scrolling past all the trash".  If I see a thread that I'm not subscribed to and it is more than 1 page long, I don't even bother opening it.

Isn't the address he posted the address that he thought he gave Coinbase?

It's not clear yet, but I think the address he posted in the thread is the address he DID give Coinbase (or at least I think it is the address that Coinbase told him they sent to).

But then Coinbase says it sent to a different address?

No.  I think Coinbase probably actually did send to that address.  There is clearly a transaction to that address in the blockchain today.

If Coinbase didn't send to the address he posted, then why did it have any transactions?

He says that the address in MultiBit is different.  I think (I'm not sure yet, and am still waiting for the OP to come back and clarify some things) that he probably gave Coinbase the wrong address.  Coinbase probably sent to the address that he asked Coinbase to send to.  But that might not be an address in his MultiBit wallet.

Yes.

What is the transaction ID of the transaction that Coinbase sent?
How did you get the address from MultiBit to Coinbase?
Have you checked for Malware on your computer?
Have you tried copy/paste with an address from MultiBit again to see if the address changes when you paste it?
Can you post a screen capture of the MultiBit screen with your bitcoin address so we can see if you got the address properly?
Are you certain you downloaded the "real" MultiBit, and that you didn't accidentally download a "fake" MultiBit from a phishing site?

TXID from Coinbase is in previous post.
I copied address from Multibit and pasted to Coinbase (not sure if I copied QR address or bitcoin address, according to Multibit, I copied QR address)
Have not yet checked for Malware on my MacOSX
Yes, I've tried to copy / paste from Multibit to Coinbase, and it seems the address is the same (btw, my send/request log from Multibit shows the same address that my sent log shows on Coinbase which is 1GV13nHk4ZEKrfMqFnRkMqvPoBmXDzLDeR )
I will post a screen capture if all else fails....?
I hope I didn't get a "fake" multibit site?...sucks for a first time bitcoin experience if that's what I did!!!

Thanks community for your help...
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2016, 12:10:45 AM

I copied address from Multibit and pasted to Coinbase (not sure if I copied QR address or bitcoin address, according to Multibit, I copied QR address)
Yes, I've tried to copy / paste from Multibit to Coinbase, and it seems the address is the same (btw, my send/request log from Multibit shows the same address that my sent log shows on Coinbase which is 1GV13nHk4ZEKrfMqFnRkMqvPoBmXDzLDeR )
I hope I didn't get a "fake" multibit site?...sucks for a first time bitcoin experience if that's what I did!!!
So the address you posted earlier is from your wallet, and that is the one that Coinbase did send to. It looks like your wallet is compromised. Someone has somehow gotten the private key to your address and is able to steal your Bitcoin. It is likely that your entire wallet is compromised. Unfortunately your Bitcoin cannot be recovered.

Do a malware scan as it is likely that you have malware on your computer. You should not use that computer for anything with money (including Bitcoin) unless you are absolutely sure there is no malware. You also will need to use a new wallet as your original is compromised.

lopro (OP)

View Profile
October 13, 2016, 12:53:43 AM

So the address you posted earlier is from your wallet, and that is the one that Coinbase did send to. It looks like your wallet is compromised. Someone has somehow gotten the private key to your address and is able to steal your Bitcoin. It is likely that your entire wallet is compromised. Unfortunately your Bitcoin cannot be recovered.

Do a malware scan as it is likely that you have malware on your computer. You should not use that computer for anything with money (including Bitcoin) unless you are absolutely sure there is no malware. You also will need to use a new wallet as your original is compromised.

"Say it ain't so??"  That sux.  Just when I wanted to delve into bitcoin, I get roasted like this???  Do I not have any recourse??  Ouch!  This hurts to the point where a player abandons bitcoin altogether...-$100 plus fees
lopro (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2016, 02:55:46 PM

Now that this has happened, what recommendations does community have for bitcoin wallet type?

Do you think it was my coinbase or my multibit that was compromised?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2016, 03:09:12 PM

Now that this has happened, what recommendations does community have for bitcoin wallet type?

Pretty sure it was your multibit that was compromised. You need to be absolutely sure that the computer you install your wallet on has no malware whatsoever.

You can also get a hardware wallet such as a Trezor which keeps the private keys on a separate device and requires interaction with the device to do anything with the keys. This is generally considered to be safe against malware attacks as the private keys are never exposed to the vulnerable computer.

ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2016, 09:51:53 AM

Why don't you just use the wallet service provided by Coinbase themselves? they're one of the most trusted Bitcoin companies around. Unless you're paranoid about your private keys like some people around here seem to be. Personally I only use Coinbase, no local wallets, I've been with them for nearly 3 years now and have never had any problems. Plus they offer a few cool features you won't get with a local wallet, like no transaction fees when sending, cold storage, instant transactions when paying via BitPay. Plus your Bitcoins on Coinbase are insured against thefts and hacks. Just make sure you have a strong unique password and enable 2FA and you'll be fine.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2016, 02:23:34 PM
Last edit: October 15, 2016, 02:47:57 PM by achow101

Why don't you just use the wallet service provided by Coinbase themselves? they're one of the most trusted Bitcoin companies around. Unless you're paranoid about your private keys like some people around here seem to be. Personally I only use Coinbase, no local wallets, I've been with them for nearly 3 years now and have never had any problems. Plus they offer a few cool features you won't get with a local wallet, like no transaction fees when sending, cold storage, instant transactions when paying via BitPay. Plus your Bitcoins on Coinbase are insured against thefts and hacks. Just make sure you have a strong unique password and enable 2FA and you'll be fine.
First of all, it is highly inadvisable to use a web wallet. You are not in control of your private keys. Coinbase is known to have shut down accounts and prevented people from accessing their money. They do this especially in cases where they think that someone is doing illegal activity, including online gambling. If you read the thread, you would know that OP is doing just that, gambling with Bitcoin online. He needs an intermediary wallet in order to prevent Coinbase from knowing that he is gambling so that they do not shut down his account and take his money.

Edit: Got my threads mixed up.

ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2016, 02:42:06 PM

First of all, it is highly inadvisable to use a web wallet. You are not in control of your private keys. Coinbase is known to have shut down accounts and prevented people from accessing their money. They do this especially in cases where they think that someone is doing illegal activity, including online gambling. If you read the thread, you would know that OP is doing just that, gambling with Bitcoin online. He needs an intermediary wallet in order to prevent Coinbase from knowing that he is gambling so that they do not shut down his account and take his money.

Huh? No offense but could you please show me where op mentions gambling or casino in this thread? I just re-read all of op's posts and even did word search on the page and couldn't find any mention of gambling or casino anywhere other than your last post. Believe it or not I actually happen to read before I post.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2016, 02:47:36 PM

Huh? No offense but could you please show me where op mentions gambling or casino in this thread? I just re-read all of op's posts and even did word search on the page and couldn't find any mention of gambling or casino anywhere other than your last post. Believe it or not I actually happen to read before I post.
Whoops! Wrong person, my bad. There was another thread where the OP had a similar issue and he said that he was doing that because he was gambling. I got my threads mixed up.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: