Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:02:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Bounty] 2 BTC - corrupted wallet recovery!  (Read 2652 times)
LeChatNoir (OP)

Activity: 699
Merit: 501

Coinpanion.io - Copy Successful Crypto Traders

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2016, 02:32:10 PM

Oh wait, I didn't notice that, this is no good: --recov_size 1Mo
You must put the size of the hard disk in --recov_size, and I bet it's more something around 500Go

You must put at least the size of the file, is your wallet.dat really <1Mo?

It is 135 kb.
Is having the mkey necessary to decrypt some private key?
Because if that parameter is necessary we'd better stop here since i can't find it in my corrupted wallet.
Are you 100% sure you don't have mkey? Because "Found 1 possible wallets" means pywallet found 1 mkey

What i posted was the output for a valid NMC encrypted wallet.
If i run the same command with the corrupted wallet the output is Found 0 possible wallets.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
YIz

Activity: 686
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 14, 2016, 02:34:42 PM

I know it might seem stupid, but I've had some luck in the past with restoring a previous versions of files using Windows. Right Click - Properties - And see if a previous version is avaliable.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
October 14, 2016, 02:46:42 PM

You must put the size of the hard disk in --recov_size, and I bet it's more something around 500Go

It is 135 kb.
Because if that parameter is necessary we'd better stop here since i can't find it in my corrupted wallet.
Are you 100% sure you don't have mkey? Because "Found 1 possible wallets" means pywallet found 1 mkey

If i run the same command with the corrupted wallet the output is Found 0 possible wallets.

Oh sorry, then TBH I don't think there's much hope left  Sad

Last hope ever: run pywallet recovery on your HD (according to what happened that is hopeless though) and on your external HD (maybe a bit less hopeless)
I don't think this will work but maybe the Namecoin Gods are around...

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
LeChatNoir (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2016, 02:50:29 PM

It is 135 kb.

Oh sorry, then TBH I don't think there's much hope left  Sad

Last hope ever: run pywallet recovery on your HD (according to what happened that is hopeless though) and on your external HD (maybe a bit less hopeless)
I don't think this will work but maybe the Namecoin Gods are around...

I've already tried, no luck  Undecided.
So the mkey is necessary to decrypt, am i correct?

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2016, 03:06:14 PM

Yes the mkey is necessary
I finished looking at your wallet and can't find any mkey or things alike (m?ey, ?key, mk?y...)
Really sorry man  Sad

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2016, 03:09:15 PM

Geez!

How much NMC are in the wallet (if its not a secret...)?

LeChatNoir (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2016, 03:09:29 PM

I finished looking at your wallet and can't find any mkey or things alike (m?ey, ?key, mk?y...)
Really sorry man  Sad

Fuck linux!
Thank you very much everybody for your help.

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2016, 03:14:16 PM

Really sorry man  Sad

Fuck linux!
Thank you very much everybody for your help.

I believe even Windows "queue" when copying to external disks
Saying the copy is done when it's actually in progress or waiting, is really something I don't get either
I hope you didn't lose a huge amount

LeChatNoir (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2016, 03:27:24 PM
Last edit: October 14, 2016, 08:23:51 PM by LeChatNoir

Saying the copy is done when it's actually in progress or waiting, is really something I don't get either
Yes it's the most retarded thing i've ever seen, i've been using linux for the past 8 months because they say windows is not safe and has bugs, i jumped from one distro to another, i think i've tried at least 6 of them wasting a lot of time to tweak and fix things, as a result my productivity has decreased 98% and now i've also lost a shitload of coins because it shows you files copied when it actually has not.

Fuck linux never more!

crapper

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2016, 03:45:33 PM

lol send the 2 btc first then ill think about it
crapper

View Profile
October 14, 2016, 04:17:21 PM

Yes it's the most retarded thing i've ever seen, i've been using linux for the past 8 months because they say windows is not safe and has bugs, i jumped from one distro to another, i think i've tried at least 6 of them wasting a lot of time to tweak and fix things, as a result my productivity has decreased 98% and now i've also lost a shitload of coins because it shows you files copied when it actually has not.

Fuck linux again never more!

Sounds more like he just messed up and doesnt want to admit it. How many NMC are in this wallet that its even worth it?
LeChatNoir (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2016, 07:20:54 PM

Sounds more like he just messed up and doesnt want to admit it. How many NMC are in this wallet that its even worth it?

Does it really matter how much i have lost?
BTW this is the issue https://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/885 apparently i'm not the only one who has lost data due to this stupid linux behaviour.

billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
October 14, 2016, 07:53:47 PM

BTW this is the issue https://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/885 apparently i'm not the only one who has lost data due to this stupid linux behaviour.

Man I am sorry for your loss. I wish I had some input to help recover your coins.

FYI though,

Code:
sync

is your best friend

https://linux.die.net/man/8/sync

also bud, always backup your keys. If a chunk of rock falls from the sky and smashes your computer, it's not going to care what OS you are running.

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
LeChatNoir (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2016, 08:21:34 PM

Man I am sorry for your loss. I wish I had some input to help recover your coins.

FYI though,

Code:
sync

is your best friend

https://linux.die.net/man/8/sync

also bud, always backup your keys. If a chunk of rock falls from the sky and smashes your computer, it's not going to care what OS you are running.

I have another 2 copy of the same wallet, but i made those backups BEFORE i decided to encrypt my wallet, so i was not been able to recover the private keys generated after encryption.
For that reason i didn't put too much attention while backing up the hard disk, i was confident i could always recover my coins form the other backups i had, if something went wrong when i formatted my laptop.
Imagine how i felt when i plug in the hard disk and found out the .vdi file was not there and after that i recovered from another backup and found out most of the coins were missing.  Embarrassed

crapper

View Profile
October 15, 2016, 08:31:14 PM

I dub thee DERP-A-CHU
http://alltaskstraducoes.com.br/vdisk/27/derp-meme-face-i2.jpg
Galer

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

FameCoin, Viral Photo sharing on Blockchain

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 04:20:29 AM

Do you know what may have caused the damage?
Is your HDD slowly dying?

The NMC client and the encrypted wallet were stored inside the encrypted Ubuntu home directory of a linux installation running inside a virtualbox virtual machine.  
Last month i decided to format my computer, before doing that i copied the virtual machine file .vdi on an external NTFS hard disk.
At some point the fu.cking linux showed the copy process as completed, the .vdi file was shown inside the external HD and i stupidly decided to unplug the USB and format my computer.
When i later tried to restore the .vdi file, i remount the external HD with the backup and i found out the .vdi file i needed was not there anymore, it has never been copied apparently.
I did a recovery of the ext HD with photorec, it has found some .eCryptfs files that i succesfully mounted and decrypted.
Now amongst these files i have found 1 that is very similar to an NMC encrypted wallet but it has only 8 "ckeyA" strings inside instead of >100 so i think i have my severely damaged NMC wallet.
I couldn't find the mkey record inside that file which i don't know if necessary to decrypt btw, can i recover some private keys from what is left of my original wallet?  

PS: before you suggest, trying a recovery from the original HD is impossible at this point, i formatted my computer more then one time and at some point i've also filled my hard disk with new data.

The last thing that I think the solution of this problem is recover files from the hdd(hdd recovery) is not impossible to recover some files after you formatted your computer or laptop I try this method  every I forgot something to backup in my computer.Just download the easeus recover software to this link http://www.easeus.com/resource/recover-data-after-format.htm this is for windows.And for ubuntu just use testdisk command.If you have any question freely send me a private message.
spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2016, 08:49:01 AM

The last thing that I think the solution of this problem is recover files from the hdd(hdd recovery) is not impossible to recover some files after you formatted your computer or laptop I try this method  every I forgot something to backup in my computer.

That's indeed a very good suggestion, but it highly depends on when was the last time you were using the wallet. You can recover some of your information after format, but things are getting worse with every extra minute in which HDD is used. Otherwise, I once recovered over 200 GB of data from a 160 GB drive. But you'd better use a company, which is specialized in recovery of info.

szafa

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 10:49:37 AM

Try program file recovery is most free and working.
hermesesus

Activity: 532

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2016, 11:06:47 AM

PS: before you suggest, trying a recovery from the original HD is impossible at this point, i formatted my computer more than one time and at some point i've also filled my hard disk with new data.
Unfortunately, overwritten data can't be recovered
However, I suggest you to contact a professional data recovery service, just to be sure
Example: http://www.chronodisk-data-recovery.ca/
cryptospreader_temp

Activity: 434

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2016, 11:53:53 AM

I openly ask for a .25 BTC upfront so that I can spend 2 days of time read the dat file manually and try to find out keys or possibilites to recover the keys. This is not to scam. I just wanted to get my time useful to try.

If you're willing to use my time, please send me dat file with all the dumps or files you think worth to research.

Note: 0.25 btc is a huge amount to try some unknown thing. However, I suggest you to try only if you really get worth NMC if the search becomes successful.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: