Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:08:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to mine crypto currency with Hardware Security Modules (HSM)?  (Read 1189 times)
Krypto13 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 11:36:49 AM

Does somebody know if it is possible to mine crypto currency with Hardware Security Modules (HSM)?
https://www.thales-esecurity.com/products-and-services/products-and-services/hardware-security-modules/general-purpose-hsms/nshield-solo
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 03:08:34 PM

It's not a video card in any way,shape or form.............  Roll Eyes

So,uh no  Wink

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 10:38:48 PM

Given the support for SHA-1 and SHA-2 at 256 bit, it MIGHT be possible to write a kludge program to get it to mine Bitcoin - but it's not going to be competative with a Bitcoin ASIC unit.

So on a PRACTICAL basis, no.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2533

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 10:49:26 PM

Given the support for SHA-1 and SHA-2 at 256 bit, it MIGHT be possible to write a kludge program to get it to mine Bitcoin - but it's not going to be competative with a Bitcoin ASIC unit.

Exactly. Cards like that are for secure end-to-end encryption/decryption of data, mainly banking transactions. For that use the keys are known to both parties at each end so they are not trying to 'crack' the hash, just process the data streams in/out.

AMD has some monster GPU's geared exactly for that use. Truth be told, 16nm chips for those specifically targeted at Banking and other Financial xfr usage is something like >50% of AMD's chips that they get from TSMC with the rest being for more mundane 'regular' GPU's and support memory chips.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 02:52:13 AM

Exactly. Cards like that are for secure end-to-end encryption/decryption of data, mainly banking transactions. For that use the keys are known to both parties at each end so they are not trying to 'crack' the hash, just process the data streams in/out.

AMD has some monster GPU's geared exactly for that use. Truth be told, 16nm chips for those specifically targeted at Banking and other Financial xfr usage is something like >50% of AMD's chips that they get from TSMC with the rest being for more mundane 'regular' GPU's and support memory chips.

So you are telling me that 50% of every Polaris GPU ever produced is bought by a bank for this HSM

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
thecrasher

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 12:40:26 PM

A high capacity PCIe form HSM can sign 7000 SHA-1 Signing per second. So, You application must be talk with HSM and needs to be intragrated into the blockchain system. I dont know if it is better than GPUs but it has some power to do mining operations. Just needs to be talk with Blockchain (API integration).

HSM's are build for securing the private key. But also can be used for signing operations and other PKI platforms/infras. Just look into to this one:  https://safenet.gemalto.com/resources/product-brief/data-protection/Luna_PCI-E_5_0_-_Product_Brief/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: