Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:45:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: R9 280x - need tips/help  (Read 1062 times)
makvo (OP)

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 07:26:51 AM

I have bought used R9 280x and it works exactly as I expected it to (pretty good), now I am really a beginner at this, so my hashrate is 16.5MH/S, sometimes little lower, but I heard there's ways to get more hashrates? I've seen people post that they have more hashrates on that card. Also I think my temps are little higher than normal? when mining, it gets to around 87C, it even reaches 91C sometimes, all this under 75-100% fan speed. Also its factory overclocked to 1100mhz.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I am mining ETH

So my questions:

* Is 16.5MH/s the best I can get out of that card? I'd like to know all options that would be worth doing to improve this.
* What should I do about temps? any way to cool them more? Card is already clean from outside at least, I heard things about oiling, or cleaning inside of card, re-applying paste, any of this or anything else worth doing?
* Is it worth overclocking just a little for extra power?
* Any general tips about my situation would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 08:55:37 AM

Right now those cards get around 16.5-17.5MH/s when mining ETH so its normal

If you card is overheating maybe its inside a computer case with bad ventilation, maybe a fan is dying, maybe the thermal paste needs to be respread.

You can also change your bios and undervolt your card and it'll use less power and less heat.

No don't overclock.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
makvo (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 09:25:11 AM

If you card is overheating maybe its inside a computer case with bad ventilation, maybe a fan is dying, maybe the thermal paste needs to be respread.

You can also change your bios and undervolt your card and it'll use less power and less heat.

No don't overclock.

Thanks. So what should be my target temp when mining? and is it worth oiling fans and cleaning them from inside? I do hear a little bit of rattling of fans from inside of case but i havent checked source or cause yet. I guess its gpu cuz it only happens when i put fans above 75 percent.
Qartersa

Activity: 868
Merit: 535

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 12:16:16 PM

No don't overclock.

Thanks. So what should be my target temp when mining? and is it worth oiling fans and cleaning them from inside? I do hear a little bit of rattling of fans from inside of case but i havent checked source or cause yet. I guess its gpu cuz it only happens when i put fans above 75 percent.

For the R9 280X cards, they are less efficient than the newer 480 cards, so it is better to undervolt to increase efficieny. So the tempearture will drop.
makvo (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 12:17:45 PM

No don't overclock.

For the R9 280X cards, they are less efficient than the newer 480 cards, so it is better to undervolt to increase efficieny. So the tempearture will drop.

Would not that cause performane and stability issues or any problems in general? Smiley
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 01:21:45 PM

No don't overclock.

Would not that cause performane and stability issues or any problems in general? Smiley

That would only happen if you under-volt too much. Lower it a bit and check, then do the same again with more lower value, do it till you see that something is crashing out in the driver or in the hash-rate.

If you're using Claymore miner, you can try it's own under-volting command.
makvo (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 01:30:25 PM

No don't overclock.

That would only happen if you under-volt too much. Lower it a bit and check, then do the same again with more lower value, do it till you see that something is crashing out in the driver or in the hash-rate.

Any good guide around the forums or anywhere explaining undervolting? or do I just use AMD overdrive and lower power percentage? Also, any risk of damaging the card? sorry for annoying questions Smiley
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 02:02:40 PM

No don't overclock.

Any good guide around the forums or anywhere explaining undervolting? or do I just use AMD overdrive and lower power percentage? Also, any risk of damaging the card? sorry for annoying questions Smiley

There is no risk at all involved in under-volting. Lowering power percentage does not under-volt. Search for the under volt command in the Claymore miner thread (if you're using Claymore miner) and just place the command next to the wallet address and pool address in the start file of miner.

I, for myself, don't use any software at all for all the over-clocking and stuff, I simply use the Claymore's own features.
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 02:06:19 PM

You can ONLY undervolt if you are not using that GPU for browsing the web, gaming, etc. Basically a monitor can't be plugged into it.

Is this the only GPU you have or do you have it inside a rig with other 280x GPUs.

Whats the make of this 280x? ASUS?

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
makvo (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 02:11:35 PM

Its a gigabytes 280x, and its actually a dedicated PC for mining but I do have spare monitor plugged in when I am too lazy to use VNC/teamviewer, is that a problem?

Would MSI afterburner work then? I am pretty sure you can directly control voltage there Smiley
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 02:40:06 PM

The Gigabyte windforce fans are bad so your temps are normal. If the fans are spinning very slowly or making grinding noises then you can pull off the fan blade and re-oil.

You can leave the monitor plugged in but it will require higher voltage so you won't save on power consumption as much.

And yes you can also try doing it in MSI Afterburner. The undervolt is successful when your temps drop instantly.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
stoon

Activity: 46

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 02:48:14 PM

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/comment/61766/#Comment_61766

This should be a good start to the kind of information you would need for a 280x. Bare in mind, these are old hash specs.
makvo (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2016, 07:50:47 AM

Sometimes my card rises to 22-25MH/s randomly for few minutes, at cost of higher temperature, any idea why or how to keep it?

And an update about everything else, I could not affect voltage in MSI even after I updated BIOS to latest, (gpu bios) I ticked in MSI settings "let me allow voltage control" or whatever, anything else I can do or is my card voltage locked?

I am thinking about opening up my card, cleaning it from inside, re applying the paste and oiling fans later, any risks on that? never opened GPU before. (I will look up guide later, but recommendations are welcome)
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2016, 08:42:56 AM

Don't open up the GPU. The Gigabyte fans are bad and those cards always will run hot.

If MSI Afterburner doesn't work, use VBE bios editor and change your voltage to like 1.050V.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
makvo (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2016, 06:07:23 PM

Don't open up the GPU. The Gigabyte fans are bad and those cards always will run hot.

If MSI Afterburner doesn't work, use VBE bios editor and change your voltage to like 1.050V.

I could not quite find voltage in VBE, only wattage, so I was too scared to mess with that..

My card is now reaching 91-94C and I stopped mining since that is most likely way too high. I still can't access voltage, any solutions?  Embarrassed

And all others options are really not worth it?
bobben2

Activity: 279
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 22, 2016, 06:14:05 PM

I could not quite find voltage in VBE, only wattage, so I was too scared to mess with that..

My card is now reaching 91-94C and I stopped mining since that is most likely way too high. I still can't access voltage, any solutions?  Embarrassed

In VBE, go to Powerplay tab.
Select appropriate VDDC value under the core clock value.
For example at core clock 1100 I select 1050 in the drop down. This means a voltage value of 1.05V when core is running at 1100MHz.
Save the BIOS file and flash the card.
Works fine with my two GB cards.  Allows me to run the fans at 44% with temp at 70deg in open case when core is at 1100.

Fellow miners, get your thens and thans in order and help other forum readers understand what you are writing. Remember the grammar basics:  B larger THAN A (comparator operator). If something THEN ....
makvo (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2016, 06:22:36 PM

My card is now reaching 91-94C and I stopped mining since that is most likely way too high. I still can't access voltage, any solutions?  Embarrassed

For example at core clock 1100 I select 1050 in the drop down. This means a voltage value of 1.05V when core is running at 1100MHz.
Works fine with my two GB cards.  Allows me to run the fans at 44% with temp at 70deg in open case when core is at 1100.

Oh right! found it, but one thing I want to confirm before going ahead and assigning my voltages, on 1100 by default it shows 1200 VDDC, but max VDDC my GPU gets when mining according to CPUID monitor is 1.094, how come? should I assign 1050 to last two? there are only last two values available to change.

So this is what I am going to do, is it correct?
https://i.gyazo.com/475d6eb45fcb878193b18d65a58b36c8.png

bobben2

View Profile
October 22, 2016, 06:44:24 PM

Oh right! found it, but one thing I want to confirm before going ahead and assigning my voltages, on 1100 by default it shows 1200 VDDC, but max VDDC my GPU gets when mining according to CPUID monitor is 1.094, how come? should I assign 1050 to last two? there are only last two values available to change.

Yes, those figures are good.

Fellow miners, get your thens and thans in order and help other forum readers understand what you are writing. Remember the grammar basics:  B larger THAN A (comparator operator). If something THEN ....
makvo (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2016, 08:34:48 PM

https://i.gyazo.com/475d6eb45fcb878193b18d65a58b36c8.png

Yes, those figures are good.

I did that and updated BIOS to it, according to CPUID monitor voltage was same, my temperatures hit 91C again while mining Sad

What should I do then?
bobben2

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 08:38:08 AM

This is what VBE is showing for my BIOS.
Overview tab:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3xthfui0d6xgl0/gb_280x_1.png?raw=1

Powerplay tab:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptpkdq2yic6e3ch/gb_280x_2.png?raw=1

When gpu core is running at freq up to 1000MHz then the VRM is programmet to apply 1019 mV.  
When core is running at a freq between 1000 and 1100 then the applied voltage is 1050 mV.
The measured voltage may be lower in both cases.
When I was playing with this a couple of years ago I was using a wattmeter to confirm the effect of the lowered voltage.
Another note: If you are struggling with high temperatures, then it may help to reapply the thermal paste on the gpu chip.
On the Gigabyte you only have to unscrew 4 screws to separate the fan assembly from the gpu.  If you are not sure, there are
plenty of good guides on Youtube.
Cheers.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: