Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:02:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTS] The Keyois Capsule. A new type of physical bitcoin *NEW*12-ton press video  (Read 7462 times)
Kialara

Activity: 548
Merit: 788

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 08:59:05 PM

Cool project, Jack. Please see PM. I'd like to place an order and see one in person.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
digicoinuser
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1072

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 09:26:43 PM

Cool project, Jack. Please see PM. I'd like to place an order and see one in person.

You won't be disappointed, I was very pleased with the construction of my item and am contemplating another.  Smiley

monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 11:52:07 PM

So... I am assuming Keyois is an acronym

Something along the lines of
Know everything you own is secure (or safe)
Keep everything you own in storage (or in safety)

Or some variant?
BG4
Legendary

Activity: 1006
Merit: 1024

PaperSafe

View Profile
November 08, 2016, 02:52:36 PM

I have to take a crack at guessing...

The    KEY  (O)ofline (I)nternet (S)afe Capsule

aolley (OP)

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2016, 05:55:50 AM

Great innovation here ! Good to see something a little different from the rounds with holos or paperwallets

I will wait for a few more folks to give their opinions once they have recieved them, before I order one. But I like it.

I would love to see some evolution of this concept into a 'reusable' product. Similar level of protection against the elements, but that you dont have to destroy to access the funds .... if that is possible. Potentially ship with spare rings to DIY the BIP38 encrypted Secret Key (ie self engrave) for the next use. Appreciate that would be a big ask ! Potentially compromise a little on the level of protection available, for the ability to reuse.

Watching :-)
It looks pretty cool.
I think that you have sold a pretty big problem for the bitcoin community hear.
I think you should upload a Fire test as well ,what is the max temperature that the capsule can survive at?

Also are you open to reservations? or it is still a pre anouncment?.

Are you accepting a custom capsule order? Like a specific size and color?
Thanks.

The capsules are ready to order!

I plan to upload some video/photos of the trying to burn the capsules. I recently had one radiographed (X-rayed) to see if the engraving is visible through in the X-ray (it isn't), I will upload those soon too.

As far as suggestion optional limits for the unit:
The low temp is -22 F due to the nitrile, the high temp weakness is also due to the nitrile o-ring. For the 2nd edition I plan on getting teflon o-ring because they are way better chemical resistance (but cost 10 times as much), however their temp range is still only 250ºF to 450ºF.

That said, after a fire you know the capsule has been tampered with, the question is, are the secret keys still safe. They are engraved on titanium so I hope so, we'll see for sure in a fire test. I think the metal end pieces may not make it if we keep the fire burning many hours, but I don't think the laser-etched secret rings should be hurt. The 3rd edition will have titanium or 316 Stainless Steel end piece, and the second edition may have tungsten center rings instead of titanium.

While I have some customizations they mostly revolve around the centerpiece. I have a number of lab-created ruby and sapphire cylinder rods and a few stray gemstones that fit but aren't as pretty. You can see some examples on this page: https://www.reddit.com/r/Keyois/comments/501wxr/buy_a_keyois_capsule_less_than_50_available/

Let me know what you're after, maybe we can make happen

See my cold hard storage device at: Keyois.com
aolley (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2016, 06:22:53 PM

So... I am assuming Keyois is an acronym

Something along the lines of
Know everything you own is secure (or safe)
Keep everything you own in storage (or in safety)

Or some variant?

Alas not that, a few more guesses and I'll give another clue I suppose

Rmcdermott927
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1140

View Profile
November 11, 2016, 05:46:41 PM

I placed my order.  I can't wait to receive mine.   I will post a thorough review and pictures when it arrives in a few weeks.    I might have to make room in my Kialara case for this one...

miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
November 11, 2016, 06:52:32 PM

Another guess from me:

A portmanteau of the words key (referring to bitcoin priv/pub keys) and octrois (http://www.wordfind.com/word/octrois/)

A hopeless guess really  Grin

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
aolley (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2016, 02:25:44 AM

Another guess from me:

A portmanteau of the words key (referring to bitcoin priv/pub keys) and octrois (http://www.wordfind.com/word/octrois/)

A hopeless guess really  Grin

A good try, but still not right. I'll give another hint (but again I doubt anyone will get it):

phonetics are involved in some way

miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
November 12, 2016, 12:35:24 PM

Does 'keyois' have anything to do with quinoa?

They have similar pronunciations on some speech bots (http://ttsreader.com/)

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
LLec

Activity: 798
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2016, 12:47:48 PM

Interesting concept you got going Jack.

Keyois could mean: Give me the key o is in greek.  Undecided
aolley (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2016, 08:40:30 PM

Interesting concept you got going Jack.

Keyois could mean: Give me the key o is in greek.  Undecided

Nope, good try. The english word 'key' is not involved...

aolley (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 03:23:42 AM
Last edit: November 20, 2016, 01:20:56 AM by aolley

So someone asked me if the capsules glow, well the glowing vials are gone but the red stone centerpieces glow in UV light. We can see this in a picture where I took some of the shitty steel rings and filled that capsule with mineral oil. A while ago I read some thread on casascius coins where someone wanted to know if a radiograph (X-Ray) could see the secret keys and since my keys are engraved on titanium I also wondered that so I had the capsule x-rayed. A real finished capsule had been radiographed, but the reference photo with potato camera is of prototype rings and not the glued together or pretty ones.

Also, in UV light: https://i.imgur.com/GbLWcpP.jpg

After getting crushed by a tractor bucket:

The capsule rings were not annihilated, I say they passed the impact test in that they keys are still recoverable: https://i.imgur.com/MHuGwuE.jpg

digicoinuser
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1072

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 03:32:18 AM

Really cool, I'm liking the tests so far! 

Do you happen to know how many PSI the tractor bucket test may have been?  I'm guessing a lot since the piece was basically obliterated but nice to see the keys are recoverable.   Smiley

monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 09:54:53 AM

Just had a thought .... how do you stop me from losing it ... ?   Roll Eyes

I see it is damn near indestructable. I fear that the 'human factor' will be its biggest weakness
aolley (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 01:16:48 AM

And here is a video of being crushed by the tractor. It's pretty shitty and I think I might try to make a better shot video later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qDdXQS1RMk Headphone warning!

And a photo of the radiograph :

AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 01:03:19 PM

This project is absolutely amazing!
I love how dedicated you are and the extent to which you are trying to ensure that this product is really a long term storage solution.
Thanks and good luck!

Edit: Just seen the price in the OP. Definitely a reasonable price considering all the work and effort that has gone into making this.
aolley (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 08:32:06 PM

This project is absolutely amazing!
I love how dedicated you are and the extent to which you are trying to ensure that this product is really a long term storage solution.
Thanks and good luck!

Edit: Just seen the price in the OP. Definitely a reasonable price considering all the work and effort that has gone into making this.

Thanks!

Yeah at $100 it's way more expensive than most people (like me) would want, but that's pretty close to what it costs to make it & ship, not including my time or any R&D. But when you think about it, it could double as a short range projectile if you threw it really hard at someone (or used a sling!) so in essence you're buying not just the piggybank but a self defense weapon too (provided you can get the object back afterwards).

So really it's like a win-win-win, which is best for everyone.

BG4
Legendary

Activity: 1006
Merit: 1024

PaperSafe

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 01:23:51 AM

Can you tell the story of you asking to x-ray the container that glows... Was it a doctor , dentist. Vet. Office,.  How much was the Copay to have it done.
aolley (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2016, 02:21:42 AM

Can you tell the story of you asking to x-ray the container that glows... Was it a doctor , dentist. Vet. Office,.  How much was the Copay to have it done.

I can tell you all about it, however it's pretty banal.

As I had said, long ago reading about the Casascius coins I saw a comment by someone wondering the an x-ray would reveal the secret key behind his holographic sticker. Well since my BitCapsule has the secret key engraved on a titanium ring I figured that perhaps the x-ray would break the 'tamper-evident' feature of the capsule.

So how to go about getting a radiograph of my inanimate object? Well I have seen x-rays of flowers and other art before, so I knew some artists had to have access to the equipment. Like most things I've done related to Bitcoin, I started by sending a bunch of emails to anyone I thought might be able to help me. I didn't get many responses and the few I did get were not encouraging, but a few weeks later I got an email from one of the artists who said they could help me for a fee of about $150 US.

That's the story, not too exciting but I was able to obtain a radiograph of my capsule and that satisfies me, with a double bonus of not being able to read the secret even with the x-ray.

tl;dr got an artist to do it for under $200

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: