Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:24:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Simples key managemet? Import-export hell  (Read 625 times)
zemario (OP)

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 03:22:07 PM

All this 'wallet' hacks baffles me. I had no idea the range of bitcoin clients would have such clumsy user experiences.

Why introducing all this wallet complexity instead of simply let the users work with addresses?

Also, so much import and export hacks, yet I have a couple of privatekeys in plain base58 text and it is an absurd pain in the ass to move them around from client to client.

I would like a client that lets me manage addresses and import and export privatekeys in plain base58, instead of this file format madness.

So far I'm doing it manually by exporting wallets with multibit, then editing the files to add my private keys.

What other user friendly  options are there?
I like strongcoin web interface but I don't like the idea of managing my addresses/keys from a website for obvious reasons.
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:28:28 PM

I don't know your needs but did you try pywallet?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
zemario (OP)

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:19:00 PM

No, I haven't tried it. It does have the functionality I asked for. Thank you.
It still suffers from the wallet complexity syndrome, but the basic functionality is still there.

I understand you are the developer of this script. This is highly opinionated but, IMHO this would THE a killer if:
 - the whole wallet clutter would be removed, it doesn't serve any purpose besides confusion
 - address/private key management only with a single list
 - fancier web interface, the same functionality but with a more polished UI, with no need for scroll

Bonus points for your avatar.

So far my favorite client is multibit, which has much in common with pywallet. Armory and electrum are good examples of how not to do it, indeed there's a lot of less tech savy people that have learned the hard way that feature creep can come out very expensive.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 10:11:13 PM

Actually opinions are exactly what I want, the point is to make a software that people want to use
At the beginning only devs used it so I put many tools without any eye-candiness. And as I don't receive many feedback about the use/complexity I didn't change that.

So yeah, thank you for this feedback, I'll change things and surely put an expert mode also
You can also give me more explanations/suggestions if you want (maybe by PM to leave your thread about your question)

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: