Bitcoin Forum
October 01, 2024, 10:16:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox becomes obsolete  (Read 1496 times)
stdset (OP)

Activity: 572
Merit: 506

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:33:13 PM

When MtGox was down for about two hours today I was hoping they are replacing their trading engine with something less slow. But still lag is 10-15 minutes now.
I am wondering how it works. Does it calculate huge prime numbers after processing each trade???

Does bitcoin need to be adopted by an exchange from non-bitcoin world, which all are able to handle orders of magnitudes more trades per second than happen on MtGox now. Or some exchange from bitcoin world will eventually replace slow MtGox?

ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:36:45 PM

When MtGox was down for about two hours today I was hoping they are replacing their trading engine with something less slow. But still lag is 10-15 minutes now.
I am wondering how it works. Does it calculate huge prime numbers after processing each trade???

or maybe calculating strategies for front-running Wink

Just a conspiracy theory!

(BFL)^2 < 0
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:37:51 PM

we should think about decentralised system so people dumping alot of bitcoins in one place will not affect others and stablise price that way.

Zooey

Activity: 241
Merit: 250

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:19:19 PM

or maybe calculating strategies for front-running Wink

Just a conspiracy theory!

I'd say MtGox are wide open to front running/insider swing trading suspicion;  the potential for corrupt profiteering behind a +10-15 min lag during high volume trading is self-evident.  In any case, it is now just simply untenable.

✘ www.NOTFORSALECAMPAIGN.org ✘
Human trafficking enslaves 30 million people: Join the movement to re-abolish slavery. | A 05:49s Vimeo |
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:25:16 PM

When MtGox was down for about two hours today...

Down still/again...

502 Bad Gateway

gbl08ma

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

Donations: http://tny.im/nx

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 08:32:40 PM

Given that they're using nginx (they would get DDoSed much more often if they used Apache...), and it's a 502 error which alternates with a DB access error, I'd say that since there are too many people sending requests to the server, PHP-FPM (or whatever reverse proxy for whatever language they are using) isn't running enough processes to keep up with nginx's demand, and the existing reverse proxies cannot connect to the DB as probably the connection limit there has been reached too.
The solution is simple: higher the limits for the processes and DB connections, until there's no more RAM left... then upgrade the/get another server. Such a high traffic site should already have learnt from previous situations and put auto-scaling mechanisms in place. This downtime may ultimately cost them their position as the most used Bitcoin exchange.

ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:56:36 PM

Down for me too, also looks like the feeds to bitcoincharts is down :/

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: