Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 09:24:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Volatility [Fill in the Blanks]  (Read 2271 times)
bb113 (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:45:47 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2013, 08:25:14 PM by bitcoinbitcoin113

To anyone thinking of complaining about the volatility, please fill in the blanks in this image and connect the two dots in whatever way you think would be "ideal for bitcoin". Then explain why you think such a scenario (e.g.,  straight line) is plausible.

Merralea

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:48:35 PM

Awe, I thought we were going to play some sort of Mad Libs.

If I were drawing that line, it would actually look more fucked up than the real one-- though, that's more "ideal for me" than for bitcoin.
kernelpanic

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:51:57 PM

Before the chart is completed I think we need a definition of what a "Success Scenario" is.

And also a definition of "ideal for bitcoin."

bb113 (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:54:23 PM

Before the chart is completed I think we need a definition of what a "Success Scenario" is.

That is for each person to define.
masize

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Rockefeller Oil in his time, Today is BTC time

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:58:37 PM

Actually, the Widespread Use is variable as your looking it from an Optimistic point of view. What if Widepread ends as the Genesis?

Always BUYING BTC at Last mtGox.
Neteller, Webmoney, Paypal, MoneyBookers
http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=masize&sign=ANY&type=RECV
bb113 (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:02:47 PM

Actually, the Widespread Use is variable as your looking it from an Optimistic point of view. What if Widepread ends as the Genesis?

You are saying the "value" during widespread use would be 0? This doesn't make sense to me. If you think even during widespread use the value (in whatever units you want) should be low, then just put 0.01 in that box. Perhaps I should add some more boxes for units.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:05:23 PM

bb113 (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:08:52 PM

Your forgot to fill in the boxes  Roll Eyes . Also, I have now added boxes for units (eg USD, pizza rolls, etc).
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:09:56 PM

Whoops!  Sorry, they're little boxes, so I didn't think about putting anything in them Grin

New and improved!

bb113 (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:15:27 PM

Whoops!  Sorry, they're little boxes, so I didn't think about putting anything in them Grin

New and improved!

The only problem I have with it is you seem to be assuming time travel, so the word "soon" is somewhat vague.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:18:32 PM

The only problem I have with it is you seem to be assuming time travel, so the word "soon" is somewhat vague.

I was gonna write eventually but boy, that was a long word to write, so I settled on soon.  Tongue

bb113 (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:25:45 PM

I was gonna write eventually but boy, that was a long word to write, so I settled on soon.  Tongue

Now with bigger boxes!! Cool
masize

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:35:13 PM

You are saying the "value" during widespread use would be 0? This doesn't make sense to me. If you think even during widespread use the value (in whatever units you want) should be low, then just put 0.01 in that box. Perhaps I should add some more boxes for units.

Maybe I misunderstood your chart. What if bitcoin eventually dies. Not that I want that, Im buying Bitcoins daily but the US Government didnt start the war yet.
With your chart you are saying the Widespread Use will end Up.

THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE.

What I mean with this is. You say thats wrong complaining ofthe volatility because you are saying that Bitcoin will ALWAYS FINISH with increasing Widespread Use.
But the problem with volatility is that you don't know when you are in the top until the time passed.

What if I have a store and Im selling thing with Bitcoin, just the moment when its at its best usd 160 example. And then starts to go down for weeks. I have to pay my suppliers that dont accept Bitcoin, sell my Bitcoins at low price. But then suddenly starts to grow up again, and I'm buying Bitcoins at the expensive price.
You are gambling when you sell with Bitcoins. Personally I think It going to go up and never stop, but I can be wrong. But I am aware that its risk accepting bitcoins and thats why people complain about volatility.

bb113 (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:39:10 PM

Yes, this is only for success scenarios. We are not considering eventual failure scenarios here. I did add some space on the top in the new version of the chart for anyone who predicts an overshoot
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:45:11 PM

oblig xkcd...

...im thinking it will be like primer.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:06:41 AM

Of course, Bitcoin will inevitably fail when a newer technology takes its spot.  But it'll probably be another crypto-currency.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:32:28 PM

Of course, Bitcoin will inevitably fail when a newer technology takes its spot.  But it'll probably be another crypto-currency.
Right. Just like the Internet failed when we replaced with Internet2.
masize

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:31:14 PM

Right. Just like the Internet failed when we replaced with Internet2.
Its pointless to compare two completely different things. But.
Internet is not only scalable but upgradable.

Bitcoin has it's rules set up from the beggining so it can´t be upgraded to future changes.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:33:28 PM

Bitcoin has it's rules set up from the beggining so it can´t be upgraded to future changes.
Not only is it false that Bitcoin can't be upgraded in the future, it already has been upgraded in the past. On multiple occasions.
masize

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:54:29 PM

Not only is it false that Bitcoin can't be upgraded in the future, it already has been upgraded in the past. On multiple occasions.

Really? show me...

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: