Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:12:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Biggest(?) Bitcoin service in death throes!  (Read 2977 times)
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:04:17 AM

MPEx claims to have a valuation of BTC700,000, which would make it the most valuable bitcoin business of early 2013. Their main business is to issue options on USD/BTC exchange rate. As they claim the position is in excess of BTC100,000, it is obviously impossible to hedge in other exchanges. The risk is instead borne by "bondholders", auctioned out monthly, who will either win a fixed percentage on their bond amount, or lose a prorated amount of MPEx trading loss. In March they lost over BTC27,000.

I suspect the exchange has blown its risk management and will likely default in April/May if the USD/BTC rate keeps increasing as it has done.

The idea that bondholders take the hit if the month turns negative, is a clever one. But if you personally guarantee the black swan of bitcoin's disproportionate rise in excess and/or absence of enough bondholders, you play a dangerous game. The owner has clearly grown desperate as he sees his end coming.

The owner has something against me, and is likely to respond with hatestorm once again, skipping his chance to clarify my suspicions with actual facts, (which would be easy if everything is in order). Do your own due diligence.

I hold absolutely no long or short positions in S.MPOE or anything listed there.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:08:33 AM

MPEx claims to have a valuation of BTC700,000, which would make it the most valuable bitcoin business of early 2013. Their main business is to issue options on USD/BTC exchange rate. As they claim the position is in excess of BTC100,000, it is obviously impossible to hedge in other exchanges. The risk is instead borne by "bondholders", auctioned out monthly, who will either win a fixed percentage on their bond amount, or lose a prorated amount of MPEx trading loss. In March they lost over BTC27,000.

I suspect the exchange has blown its risk management and will likely default in April/May if the USD/BTC rate keeps increasing as it has done.

The idea that bondholders take the hit if the month turns negative, is a clever one. But if you personally guarantee the black swan of bitcoin's disproportionate rise in excess and/or absence of enough bondholders, you play a dangerous game. The owner has clearly grown desperate as he sees his end coming.

The owner has something against me, and is likely to respond with hatestorm once again, skipping his chance to clarify my suspicions with actual facts, (which would be easy if everything is in order). Do your own due diligence.

I hold absolutely no long or short positions in S.MPOE or anything listed there.

Wow Trimela is butt hurt huh? I wonder what he is so mad about lol

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:10:42 AM

its a sign of how young we are that people actually use this service for anything at all.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:11:31 AM

Definitely an odd blog posting full of childish vitriol. Stayed away from SDICE because of this guy's weird un-professional style.

piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:36:57 AM

Oh, I thought for all his elitist schizoid-punk behavior he's at least doing well financially. This is sad. Poor folks who did invest into this mess.

Waiting for his imaginary PR woman to show up with some nonsense as usual Smiley

Why I'd never do any business with "it" - he claims absolute strength of his servers and that nothing could possibly ever happen to the service, conveniently ignoring a possibility of him, the sole owner and operator, running with all the money and data when shit will hit the fan. There's little to none provable information about his identity, and it definitely does look like a constructed identity to me. So many red signs flashing "AVOID" that someone should be desperate to lose money to invest in any bonds there.

i am satoshi
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:07:27 AM

Thank you piramida,

I have many of the same suspicions as you do. I tried for example contact Mircea Popescu via Facebook. There was 20 dozen people with that name so good luck finding the one that disappeared with your money! Smiley

But in the OP, there are no accusations. It is just public knowledge, based on MPEx own data:

- March they lost money because of high call/put ratio and no hedging
- MP is the guarantor of last resort
- They have already sold longs for the coming months, these contracts are deeply in the money (loss for them)
- Based on the above, not many want to buy the bonds that will surely lose
- MP cannot/won't cover all the losses this month
- Toast  Cry

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:23:57 AM

MP is a joke, all he does is bs about how he is more superior compared to everyone else.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:57:54 AM

You know how much sympathy they get from me? Yeah, about that much.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:08:52 PM

He always did come across as a pompous a**.  Maybe he should stay on the sidelines for 4 years and watch some more like he advises.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
randrace

Activity: 329
Merit: 250

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:46:34 PM

Waiting to see if this plays out as indicated in his snarky FAQ.

Quote from: Confident Dude
22. Even so, how would the investors be affected in the event MPEx can no longer be continued ?

In the unlikely case that the continuation of MPEx becomes impossible, all issuers will be provided with lists of their shareholders. A successor system would have to be constructed (either centralized or maintained independently by the respective issuers), but no information is lost : since people can still sign with their keys, it is trivial for anyone who is in fact a shareholder to identify himself as shareholder. Just to be on the safe side, a dump of all users' final STATs, encrypted with their keys and clearsigned by the exchange will be released before closing, in whatever manner will be deemed at that time efficient, as for instance on a p2p file sharing system.

Also worth mentioning, you can create your very own copy of the MPEx database, containing sufficient information to reconstruct ownership of coins and shares even if all our back-ups are compromised.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 03:54:30 PM

Oh man OP is such an Insufferable Asshole. He probably is highly leveraged using fiat money and projects his shortcomings onto other people.
This thread stinks of manipulative bullshit.

Post in the scam accusation thread if you have anything substantial, please.
EuroTrash

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:55:44 PM

In full fairness I'm worried with MP's rants about bitcoin code being immature, protocol being weak and its developers wasting time in inept political discussions instead of fixing stuff.

I'm kinda worried that, somehow, he is right about it.
The guy's not a saint at all and he has his own manipulative reasons to say what he says.... but the points he made are quite convincing to me.

<=== INSERT SMART SIGNATURE HERE ===>
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:14:18 PM

In full fairness I'm worried with MP's rants about bitcoin code being immature, protocol being weak and its developers wasting time in inept political discussions instead of fixing stuff.

I'm kinda worried that, somehow, he is right about it.
The guy's not a saint at all and he has his own manipulative reasons to say what he says.... but the points he made are quite convincing to me.

So what are his points?

The protocol looks fine to me, minus the block limit.
Of course it's immature, it's not even out of beta.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:25:56 PM

Haha, what a douche bag! God, everything he writes is just so pompous and arrogant.

"I'm no miner, I'm no coder" yet I will complain about the code and say it sucks! It's open source douche, contribute when you see a problem that you can fix. Fuck this guy.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:49:03 PM

I am not accusing anyone of scam. All I was saying, which holds true until now, is:

"In my opinion, MPEx is heading into such huge losses from net short position in USD/BTC rate in April and/or May, that the guarantor of last resort, Mircea Popescu, cannot pay."

First, this is my opinion, albeit solidly grounded on MPEx's own published data.

Second, I am more happy to be wrong than right on the issue, since I don't want to see people lose money when they are right (i.e. if they have bought calls, in the event that MPEx defaults).

ManBearPig

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 03:34:28 PM

Dodgy as hell and quite, quite mad.

Just my opinion!

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
Uglux

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 11:40:52 PM

This...

...will more likely be in its death throes in April/May if the USD/BTC rate keeps increasing as it has done.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 11:53:03 PM

LOL

I am not accusing anyone of scam. All I was saying, which holds true until now, is:

"In my opinion, MPEx is heading into such huge losses from net short position in USD/BTC rate in April and/or May, that the guarantor of last resort, Mircea Popescu, cannot pay."

First, this is my opinion, albeit solidly grounded on MPEx's own published data.

Second, I am more happy to be wrong than right on the issue, since I don't want to see people lose money when they are right (i.e. if they have bought calls, in the event that MPEx defaults).

Even if that is true, Popescu might face a scammer tag and the bitcoin police.

You on the other hand liquidators in the real, dirty world of fiat money. Cheesy
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 11:57:57 PM

The idea that bondholders take the hit if the month turns negative, is a clever one. But if you personally guarantee the black swan of bitcoin's disproportionate rise in excess and/or absence of enough bondholders, you play a dangerous game.

Is not MPEx and MPOE separate when it comes to the collateral of contracts? Hence the MPEx profit and MPOE loss in March. In other words, MPEx can continue functioning even if the bondholders have no collateral. It will just be a matter of finding new bondholders, if MP bankrupts himself making bad financial decisions, who are willing to take short positions.

Just because it is hard to find a well capitalized bear does not mean the MPEx service is going to fail; just volumes will greatly decrease until volatility premiums on the options rise, a lot, to compensate the bears.

MP has simply been selling call options too cheaply. He will either learn his lesson and charge higher premiums or run out of bitcoins and no longer be able to collateralize anymore options.

I am not sure why anyone in their right financial mind would be short bitcoin and particularly not at the extremely cheap premiums of the call options on MPEx. But that is what markets are for and the correct prognosticator profits.

rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:41:38 AM

This...

...will more likely be in its death throes in April/May if the USD/BTC rate keeps increasing as it has done.

Umm.. Yes, that is why I withdrew it from the bank on the said day two weeks ago, and bought bitcoin at EUR 72, clever me  Huh

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: