Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:05:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Fundraising for Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust  (Read 3437 times)
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 07:53:25 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2013, 11:03:45 AM by Nemo1024

I have been a long-standing donor and adopter at Durrell Wildlife conservation Trust. I have newly updated my membership to lifetime and increased my adoption level to Silver (Mr S Sokolov - Norway). Still, there is much more that can and should be done for the conservation of wildlife on our fragile planet.

The famous naturalist and the founder of the first zoo (on Jersey), aimed at study and conservation of endangered species, Gerald Durrell once wrote: "Animals and plants have nobody to speak for them except us, the human beings who share the world with them but do not own it."

When I was first introduced to Bitcoins, I thought that they would be an ideal medium for micro-donations, especially with the growing user- and miner base of the new global currency.

This is a fund-raising campaign that I would like to start, using Bitcoins as the base currency. Please make your micro-donations to the address below or scan the address QR code:

1DodoExzsNPvVRXFrgkKw6E259VjfUW8Kh

If you don't have Bitcoins, please donate or otherwise help Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust in any way you can, by proceeding to their site.

At the end of each month, if at least 1 Bitcoin is raised, I will convert BTC to GBP and transfer them to the Trust as a Donation from my account there. I will then update this post stating how much was transferred to the Trust in terms of GBP.

For the hall of fame, you are welcome to leave comments, stating how much you donated, or embed messages in the blockchain.

Disclaimer: This fund-raising drive is my personal initiative and is not affiliated with Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust.
Here is the link to this post at my blog.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 04:33:26 AM

I have been a long-standing donor and adopter at Durrell Wildlife conservation Trust. I have newly updated my membership to lifetime and increased my adoption level to Silver (Mr S Sokolov - Norway). Still, there is much more that can and should be done for the conservation of wildlife on our fragile planet.

The famous naturalist and the founder of the first zoo (on Jersey), aimed at study and conservation of endangered species, Gerald Durrell once wrote: "Animals and plants have nobody to speak for them except us, the human beings who share the world with them but do not own it."

When I was first introduced to Bitcoins, I thought that they would be an ideal medium for micro-donations, especially with the growing user- and miner base of the new global currency.

This is a fund-raising campaign that I would like to start, using Bitcoins as the base currency. Please make your micro-donations to the address below or scan the address QR code:

1DodoExzsNPvVRXFrgkKw6E259VjfUW8Kh

If you don't have Bitcoins, please donate or otherwise help Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust in any way you can, by proceeding to their site.

At the end of each month, if at least 1 Bitcoin is raised, I will convert BTC to GBP and transfer them to the Trust as a Donation from my account there. I will then update this post stating how much was transferred to the Trust in terms of GBP.

For the hall of fame, you are welcome to leave comments, stating how much you donated, or embed messages in the blockchain.

Disclaimer: This fund-raising drive is my personal initiative and is not affiliated with Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust.
Here is the link to this post at my blog.

Why don't you contact them and see if they would implement a Bitcoin donation onto their website. The service they are using now is only giving them 80% of the all donations collected. http://www.durrell.org/Get-involved/Fundraising/Shop-and-donate/

Durrell have teamed up with GOandDONATE.com, a unique new service. A one-stop-shop for your travel and shopping needs, the site features a broad range of leading travel businesses and well known stores. Each time Durrell is selected from the featured local beneficiaries, 80% of the commission the site receives from the supplier will go to the Trust, helping us with our mission of saving endangered species from extinction. So, for just one more click, you can raise funds for Durrell without it costing you a penny!

Make them aware that an initial donation of $1,000 USD form Bitcoin 100 will be transferred to their account once they do such. Normally, I would state that there would be no fees to transfer bitcoins to their local currency through BitPay, but in this case I'm not sure. Either way, the fee is less than PayPal, but if the worse case scenario is afoot, the donation from us will be larger enough to overcome any fee, thus getting no less than $1,000 into their coffer.

PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

~Bruno K~
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 04:18:45 PM

As a matter of fact, I wrote to the Trust about two months ago, telling them in general about Bitcoins and asking them to investigate them as a possible venue for fund-raising. Strangely, I received no answer, even though they usually replied to my other communiques and larger donations. I might have been too vague about Bitcoins or they may have perceived my suggestion as not serious enough.

This is one reason for my current attempt to start a fund-raising campaign: as a proof of concept for the Trust.

I can write to them once more and point them to this thread and to http://bitcoin100.org/

I'll keep everyone posted if I get any reply.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 10:40:05 AM

I've made an initial donation of 0.1BTC to the Wildlife fund-raising. I understand that the most difficult part would be to get this campaign off the ground as long as the donation request is made on the forums and in my blog and not on the official Trust site.

Phinnaeus Gage, I've also sent a 0.1 BTC donation to your Bitcoin 100 initiative.

Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 07:45:09 AM

It is the end of the month.

Not much activity was noticed on 1DodoExzsNPvVRXFrgkKw6E259VjfUW8Kh
I made an initial deposit of 0.1 BTC, I was also sending out free bitcoin requests to this address
Total accumulated sum over the last month is thus BTC0.10730912 = £10.24 at today's MtGox rate.

To minimise the costs, I am going to absorb any conversion rates. This means that I am transferring the BTC funds to my account, while sending Durrell Wildlife conservation trust a donation in British Pounds at today's conversion rate, rounded up to the nearest GBP = £11.

The donation of £11 with Reference No: 130430-9097 was sent and marked with the following note:
Code:
This is a donation, converted from Bitcoins, collected as the result of my Bitcoin Fundraising for Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust
http://stanislavs.org/bitcoin-fundraising-for-durrell-wildlife-conservation-trust/
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=167416.msg1742875#msg1742875

The campaign continues. Please donate anything between BTC0.1 and BTC0.001 to 1DodoExzsNPvVRXFrgkKw6E259VjfUW8Kh Every little helps!

Two weeks ago I wrote the following letter to Anne-Marie Neal, an assistant fundraiser at the Trust. As I am still awaiting their answer, I decided to make the letter open to the public.

Dear Anne-Marie.

I have, on multiple occasions, performed donations and adoptions at Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust, having recently increased my level of adoptions to Silver. As such, I am always on the look-out for fund-raising opportunities for the Trust.

About 6 months ago I became aware of the growing new global cryptographic electronic currency: Bitcoins. I have since been mining Bitcoins myself and using them in transactions in on-line shops. At the same time I had a thought that Bitcoins, unlike Visa-payments, are ideal for micro-transaction. I wrote then a short letter, suggesting Durrell create a Bitcoin wallet and start accepting donations in Bitcoins. The letter was posted through durrell.org feed-back form, but surprisingly never received any form of reply.

Bitcoins are freely convertible to traditional currencies and have at the moment a conversion rate of approximately USD120 (€93) for 1 BTC.

I have newly started my own Bitcoin-based fund-raising campaign here:
http://stanislavs.org/bitcoin-fundraising-for-durrell-wildlife-conservation-trust/
This is also published on the main Bitcoin-related Forum, Bitcointalk:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=167416

Thus far 0.10403102 BTC are collected. The main problem for my private campaign, is trust. There are several other charity projects running, but they are supported by entities, who are well-known, whereas I can be considered a new and unknown entity on the scene.

I am sure that if the Trust has their own, official, Bitcoin collection drive, it would attract many more micro-donations, which would amount to a substantial sum.

As you might have noticed, it is possible to customise the beginning of the receiving address to make it more striking. The one I use for my drive is 1DodoExzsNPvVRXFrgkKw6E259VjfUW8Kh It is also possible to use QR code for the ease of making payments - there are smartphone applications, for example from BlockChain.info (https://blockchain.info/) which make it easy to just scan the code on a phone and perform a payment. BlockChain.info also have ready-made solutions for creating custom donation buttons/interfaces on a web-site.

As it was mentioned by Phinnaeus Gage on the forums, he runs a generic charity fund-raising, which is rather successful, Bitcoin 100: http://bitcoin100.org/ You can alternatively implement donation redirect to that generic charity and get payouts as fractions of the common amount.

In the long run, however, I think it is best for the Wildlife Conservation Trust to have their own address and a dedicated page on the site, geared to donations in Bitcoins.
The currency is growing in popularity, especially with the near-collapse of the traditional currencies, and Bitcoins collected and stored now will represent a substantial fortune in the near future, which would be used for what the Trust does best, saving species from extinction.

Thank you for your attention.

Kind regards,
Stanislav Sokolov.
A life-time member.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 08:19:44 AM

It is the end of the month.

Not much activity was noticed on 1DodoExzsNPvVRXFrgkKw6E259VjfUW8Kh
I made an initial deposit of 0.1 BTC, I was also sending out free bitcoin requests to this address
Total accumulated sum over the last month is thus BTC0.10730912 = £10.24 at today's MtGox rate.

To minimise the costs, I am going to absorb any conversion rates. This means that I am transferring the BTC funds to my account, while sending Durrell Wildlife conservation trust a donation in British Pounds at today's conversion rate, rounded up to the nearest GBP = £11.

The donation of £11 with Reference No: 130430-9097 was sent and marked with the following note:
Code:
This is a donation, converted from Bitcoins, collected as the result of my Bitcoin Fundraising for Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=167416.msg1742875#msg1742875

The campaign continues. Please donate anything between BTC0.1 and BTC0.001 to 1DodoExzsNPvVRXFrgkKw6E259VjfUW8Kh Every little helps!

Two weeks ago I wrote the following letter to Anne-Marie Neal, an assistant fundraiser at the Trust. As I am still awaiting their answer, I decided to make the letter open to the public.

Dear Anne-Marie.

I have, on multiple occasions, performed donations and adoptions at Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust, having recently increased my level of adoptions to Silver. As such, I am always on the look-out for fund-raising opportunities for the Trust.

About 6 months ago I became aware of the growing new global cryptographic electronic currency: Bitcoins. I have since been mining Bitcoins myself and using them in transactions in on-line shops. At the same time I had a thought that Bitcoins, unlike Visa-payments, are ideal for micro-transaction. I wrote then a short letter, suggesting Durrell create a Bitcoin wallet and start accepting donations in Bitcoins. The letter was posted through durrell.org feed-back form, but surprisingly never received any form of reply.

Bitcoins are freely convertible to traditional currencies and have at the moment a conversion rate of approximately USD120 (€93) for 1 BTC.

I have newly started my own Bitcoin-based fund-raising campaign here:
This is also published on the main Bitcoin-related Forum, Bitcointalk:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=167416

Thus far 0.10403102 BTC are collected. The main problem for my private campaign, is trust. There are several other charity projects running, but they are supported by entities, who are well-known, whereas I can be considered a new and unknown entity on the scene.

I am sure that if the Trust has their own, official, Bitcoin collection drive, it would attract many more micro-donations, which would amount to a substantial sum.

As you might have noticed, it is possible to customise the beginning of the receiving address to make it more striking. The one I use for my drive is 1DodoExzsNPvVRXFrgkKw6E259VjfUW8Kh It is also possible to use QR code for the ease of making payments - there are smartphone applications, for example from BlockChain.info (https://blockchain.info/) which make it easy to just scan the code on a phone and perform a payment. BlockChain.info also have ready-made solutions for creating custom donation buttons/interfaces on a web-site.

As it was mentioned by Phinnaeus Gage on the forums, he runs a generic charity fund-raising, which is rather successful, Bitcoin 100: http://bitcoin100.org/ You can alternatively implement donation redirect to that generic charity and get payouts as fractions of the common amount.

In the long run, however, I think it is best for the Wildlife Conservation Trust to have their own address and a dedicated page on the site, geared to donations in Bitcoins.
The currency is growing in popularity, especially with the near-collapse of the traditional currencies, and Bitcoins collected and stored now will represent a substantial fortune in the near future, which would be used for what the Trust does best, saving species from extinction.

Thank you for your attention.

Kind regards,
Stanislav Sokolov.
A life-time member.

At least you didn't make the mistake I did and mention InstaWallet in your initial email to them as I did to a handful of NPO's.
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 07:29:24 AM

It so happens that I received a reply from the Trust on the same day as I transferred the donation. Here it is:

Dear Mr Sokolov,

First of all, thank you! It is wonderful that you, as a life member and supporter of Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust and the work we undertake, have explored an area of fundraising that is entirely new to us.

At present, we have no experience of Bitcoins and therefore no immediate plans to venture into this area ourselves. We do however greatly appreciate the efforts you are making on our behalf and look forward to updates as to how this initiative is progressing.

I hope to hear from you again soon.

Regards
Anne-Marie

The answer is slightly non-committal, but it is still a positive start.

Now, let us show the world that Bitcoins, like any other currency has many uses, and charity is one of them!

Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 02:57:23 PM

I have received a thank-you communique from Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust today:

Dear Mr Sokolov,

I am delighted to see that we have now received the first £11 converted from bitcoins! Every donation is very gratefully received and makes a real difference to the work we are able to undertake in our efforts to save species from extinction.

Our wildlife park, field programmes and academy come together to deliver a unique approach to tackling today’s conservation problems, with skills and experience in each area allowing us to stop declines of threatened species in the short term, as well as building necessary skills and capacity around the world to protect species and habitats into the future.

Thank you again for your continuing support.

Best wishes

Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie Neale
Fundraising Assistant

It is wonderful and gratifying to know that we are making a difference.

With this month's economic developments and the general hedging of the Bitcoin economy, not many donations were sent so far.
The account currently holds 0.0039925 BTC
Still, a slower economy dies not mean that a small donation to the good cause will make you broke, on the contrary, it will make you feel much better.

Send your donations to 1DodoExzsNPvVRXFrgkKw6E259VjfUW8Kh or scan the QR code in my profile. Let's make more headlines and show that Bitcoin economy is here to stay.

As for my part, I am committed to absorbing all conversion fees and rounding the resulting GBP value up before it is sent to the Trust.

Now, let's try to reach that 0.1 BTC before the month's end!  Smiley

Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 11:06:00 AM

It's time for the end-of-month status report.

First of all, big thank you to Philj for donating BTC0.05 (~ £4,5) as a response to my squirrel story at the Economy speculations sub-forum. This is the second major donation coming from the community.

The current balance is BTC0.05808127.

The amount is a bit small to make a payout to the Trust, so I am carrying it over to the next month, in the hope that we will make at least that BTC0.1 Also, if BTC price continues to crawl up, the Trust will receive a slightly larger sum next month than today.

Despite the hight BTC price, the economy can be described as cautious. In the current climate day-trading is boring at best, and lossy at worst. But a small donation to a good cause, will always make you feel good. Just see for yourself what Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust is achieving: http://www.durrell.org/Conservation

Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 10:36:36 AM

The end of June saw BTC0.05943466 accumulated in the charity wallet, which corresponds to just £3.84 at today's conversion rate

So, no payout again this month, while waiting for the people to become more conscientious about the natural environment and its conservation.

Maybe soon, once the post-bubble events calm down...

Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 07:47:37 AM

By the end of July we accumulated BTC0.07006092.
Using today's MtGox high conversion rate for Pounds of £73.1291, we get a total of £5.12.
I will round it up to £10 with my own donation and transfer that amount to Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust.

The donation of £10 with Reference No: 130801-9543 has been sent to the Trust.

Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 11:03:06 AM

Today I have received the following thank-you and information letter from Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust:

Dear Mr Sokolov,

Thank you for your latest gift, partly generated by bitcoin donations. This has already helped Durrell with our mission of saving species from extinction. Thank you for continuing with this collection on our behalf.

2012 was another busy year for us here at our headquarters in Jersey and with our many overseas projects. In Jersey we celebrated with Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal as she marked her first 40 years as patron of Durrell. 2012 also saw Badongo, our new silverback Gorilla, become a father for the first time. This was very exciting for us as it was the first Gorilla birth here in almost a decade. The launch of the onsite wildlife camp was also very successful and has already proved itself to be a very popular addition to our facilities.

Overseas we currently manage 50 projects in 14 countries, primarily based in the most imperilled island ecosystems in the world. Last year we were delighted that ploughshare tortoises, that we had reintroduced to Madagascar successfully bred in the wild. Owing to the generosity of our supporters work will start this spring to rebuild the Telfair Skink Hatchery in Mauritius which will help to ensure that this species is saved and able to fulfil its role in maintaining the Islands’ fragile ecosystem.

This is just a taste of life at Durrell. To find out more about how your donation is helping us, visit www.durrell.org for news of our latest conservation highlights.

Many thanks again for your kind donation and support of Durrell.

Yours sincerely,

Anne-Marie

Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2013, 07:31:46 AM
Last edit: December 15, 2013, 01:51:12 PM by Nemo1024

I am continuing to maintain the fund-raising drive, albeit in a passive mode. Any donation is welcome, much appreciated and is guaranteed forwarded to the Trust, with an extra match-up from me.

In addition to BTC, you are welcome to use the new, e-commerce oriented Zetacoin for donations.

ZET address for donations is Suspended

Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 01:50:57 PM

I am suspending Zetacoin donation address.

At this moment, total accumulated amount is: 461.02855737 ZET = BTC0.03624273 = £18.5

Rounding up, as usual, I will make a donation of £20 to the Trust.

Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 07:31:37 PM

Previously-collected £20 have been sent to the Trust in donation with order number 131218-10788

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: