Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:45:15 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I am going to withdraw my Bitcoin Kickstarter  (Read 8694 times)
Mosper

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:30:32 PM

I work there if you have any questions I would be happy to answer.

Me? I'm just the cynical voice floating in the sea of unchecked optimism.
the founder (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 11:34:46 PM

I work there if you have any questions I would be happy to answer.

I would love to,  honestly though you're reading this thread...  we got uber troll Matt Wright,  farlack "i know everything" and  timfah the "100 dollar app guy"

I really hope this isn't representative of the whole community or else we're all screwed.  not just me, everyone... 

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:38:21 PM

No interest in giving you $5700 for you to spend what ever on it.

It's ok farlack,  I really don't need your 5 bucks.    I was excited as today I did make history on this... but clearly SOME of you guys believe otherwise..

Anything I say or do will be wrong in your eyes,  though I am right, and fully believe in what I am trying to do.

Yea also Matt Wright ...  for once you are correct.. I paved the way for you... go take advantage of it.  Thanks for the help.

No one is denying you made an accomplishment, everyone is agreeing you're trying to mooch funds off the community to pay for your costs. What you're asking for is no different than asking for a donation to buy a car, to advertise bitcoin websites for a profit... but the catch is.. you don't want a beater car, you want a Porsche.

Why the hell would anyone want to donate money for you to make money? Kickstarter is for innovation... not for you to buy unwarranted server space.. By the time you need a $500 server you'll be making $100 a day profit.

Greed is greed.
Mosper

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:39:51 PM

Founder figure out exactly what your server needs are (modules etc, are you an able SSH user? Are you capable of managing your own dedicated server in the first place? Do you need it to be managed?) and I will find you a realistic quote for how much you need starting out. 500/mo dedicated server is so much overkill it's not even funny.

Teka

Activity: 840

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:42:15 PM

I appreciate what you're trying to do and hope you'll get it done one way or the other.

Can you please explain in more detail how you would use the money should the project be funded? Why does this project need the money that you're asking? Saying that you need almost 6k for "development" isn't clear enough.

I was planning on using http://www.inetu.net for webhosting =  $500/month ($6000 a year) for a dedicated server

I needed help for the iOS development, though I will be doing most of the coding myself, I still needed help for some parts of it - I was told that will run about $1200

Application fees and ect to Apple's App Store is 100 dollars a year  (which blows my mind because someone earlier said the whole project is less than the app store charge??)
https://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/

Total fees for the first year,  $7,300

What I am asking is $5.750

Meaning I am going to eat $1,550  because I thought I was helping the whole bitcoin community...

Just my opinion though, feel free to ignore it Smiley

I'm not going to ignore it at all,  I just wanted to have a limited successful kickstarter bitcoin project to pave the way for everyone else...  honestly that's why I am still in shock by some of the responses...

Just out of interest can you send me the specifications of that dedicated server?
Mosper

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:43:22 PM

90% of people starting out with web businesses vastly overestimate their needs.

the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 11:45:11 PM

I don't have it off the top of my head,  but it was a cloud server is what I was quoted,  I was told to support that level of growth it would be in the range of 500-1000 / month

It's a PHP / Mysql setup

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Teka

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:45:38 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2013, 12:15:09 AM by Teka

I was planning on using http://www.inetu.net for webhosting =  $500/month ($6000 a year) for a dedicated server

Okay. I have no idea what kind of requirements you would have for a server, but that sounds pretty darn expensive - can't you do with anything less?

http://www.hostgator.com/dedicated

Even their most expensive package is $374/month, and you could probably start with a lesser package and upgrade if necessary.

I don't have sufficient knowledge about iOS development to comment on the rest, but I can tell you that the key to a succesfully funded project is to keep the costs as low as possible (unless you're a celebrity like Tim Schafer).

+1 I'm pretty sure you're getting ripped off

Edit

Here is my proposal:

16GB of Ram
8 Cores
160GB SSD
6TB of Bandwidth

for 1.5BTC/Month or $200/Month

Here is my budget proposal:

8GB of Ram
4 Cores
80GB SSD Disk
5TB Transfer

for 0.75BTC/Month or $100
Mosper

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:47:18 PM

A VPS is probably enough for starting out and at host gator at least you can upgrade VPS Instantly without having to do a migration. Why not start out with a level 3 and upgrade as needed until you actually need a dedicated server?

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:49:05 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2013, 12:03:59 AM by Matthew N. Wright

I really hope this isn't representative of the whole community or else we're all screwed.  not just me, everyone...  

I sincerely hope it *is* representative of the whole community to remain skeptical and recognize that someone is making a substandard copycat service that doesn't need an app and then requesting that they "pay even if they don't like it" (way more than necessary at that), and logically deciding to pass on the offer. You need to rethink your position on some things if you expect "the community" to support you, or you will be the only one screwed my friend.

There are numerous free projects made by many generous people in this community. None of them spam their page every either post, none of them make narcissistic comments about their own work on a regular basis, and none of them are "shocked" when people criticize their work. I have often wondered about you (remember when we argued about your reasoning behind having the name "The Founder", but not bothering to clarify what you are the founder of exactly?) being a bit of a manchild, but after the blackmail and claims of stolen funds without any comment from the affected parties, you're beginning to look like me last year, starved for attention. Just calm down, accept the criticism, ask for advice, and move on. It doesn't take a "master troll" to recognize when someone is acting foul.

EDIT: While we're on the subject, getting accepted to Indiegogo or Kickstarter is not complicated or particularly difficult. I don't know why you keep saying it is. As long as it's not illegal or overly self-serving content, it's fine.

the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 11:54:18 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2013, 12:09:14 AM by the founder

That is most likely true.   But now that price is submitted I don't know if I can change!

"Funding goal can not be changed after you launch your project."

and honestly I don't want to change my funding goal..  because just as you stated  

"90% of people starting out with web businesses vastly overestimate their needs."

it's also true

"90% of people starting out with web businesses vastly underestimate their funding needs.

It has to stand as is,  and if it's not funded it's not funded... if it what it is.

wrote a novel

are you done Matt?  Seriously?  For 3 years now you constantly have been bitching at me for everything I do, starting with founding flexcoin then wondering why I called myself the founder for some reason I seem to be the center of your attention on this forum?   Now I setup a bitcoin app that get's approved on kickstarter and you belittle everything... seriously..  I really had it with you.

the total project cost is about 35 bitcoins  (roughly depending on the price)

It's not a years salary, it's roughly the cost of a decade old used car.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 12:07:58 AM

Emotional Diatribe

Did you even read my novel? There were some really good points in there. I feel they might have fallen on deaf ears though.

Criticism, skepticism and professionalism are not the same thing as trolling. Begging the community to fund your project that no one thinks is worth it is the free market. You not agreeing with it and calling everyone names when they don't pay you what you claim they should even if they don't like it is sure to catch people's eye in a negative light. Why are you surprised it has received the result it has with the presentation that is being given?

repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 12:29:22 AM

And the demand for their product/service.  And their competence.

I have no problem with the OP saying "help me out if you like the idea".  It's the "help me out even if you don't like the idea" and the "I'm doing the community a favour" statements which are raising people's hackles.

"Fund my app" is the 21st century's "fund my videogame" equivalent.  The vast majority of apps will never make a return on the initial investment.  Both development and funding should probably be done more as a labour of love than anything else.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
farlack
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 12:40:55 AM

the total project cost is about 35 bitcoins  (roughly depending on the price)

There is no project.. You just want everyone to pay your server space so you make more money... In the end your site gives zero value to the community popular yes, a nice place to check prices, yes.. Cost to the community so you can make more profit.. no

What you should have done was started a business, and sold shares, and give dividends.

You need to look into fixing your google ads..

First.. Their positions suck ass.
Second you can put 3 on your page.
Third you have one that scrolls, which is a waste.
Fourth you should be getting at least 1%-3% click rate
At 70k hits a day you should be looking at 140+ a day in adsense revenue minimum.

Sell me your site, with a contract you wont re-create, and I'll give you cash + 25% commission for life.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 02:16:09 AM

I'm in OP! Go for it! I should bring back my iOS program for monitoring Bitcoin addresses. With the btc price increases, I can afford it now.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 03:17:53 AM

While I am happy that theres a kickstarter project around bitcoin.  This isn't one I'll be paying into.

Plenty of people would make an app like this for free in their spare time, not sure why a project like this needs to get kickstarted. I agree with others that this seems more like someone trying to make money off the BTC hype than anything unique or cool.

Although I wont be donating money for this project I wish this guy the best of luck and hope he achieves his funding goals.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 03:57:33 AM

I am going to sleep on it tonight... and most likely in the morning withdraw my Kickstarter Project.

Clearly my project was shitty,  I thought I was trying to do the right thing, I believed was trying to further the bitcoin community as a whole..  It was my opinon that by doing this it would open a whole new set of funding ...  people would put up projects that would yank control from Visa or Mastercard,  or throw Paypal and Square under the rug using Bitcoin.   That 3 million dollar project would have been funded easy because there was a long list of bitcoin successful projects prior to that... at least that was my vision.

thanks for all the feedback.... and I do mean it... if i ever try to do a kickstarter again,  I'll try to get some opinions prior to launching it.

Teka

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:09:12 AM

I am going to sleep on it tonight... and most likely in the morning withdraw my Kickstarter Project.

Clearly my project was shitty,  I thought I was trying to do the right thing, I believed was trying to further the bitcoin community as a whole..  It was my opinon that by doing this it would open a whole new set of funding ...  people would put up projects that would yank control from Visa or Mastercard,  or throw Paypal and Square under the rug using Bitcoin.   That 3 million dollar project would have been funded easy because there was a long list of bitcoin successful projects prior to that... at least that was my vision.

thanks for all the feedback.... and I do mean it... if i ever try to do a kickstarter again,  I'll try to get some opinions prior to launching it.

You should sell it to farlack
farlack
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:12:03 AM

Clearly my project was shitty,  I thought I was trying to do the right thing,  but all I got was blamed for what I believed was trying to further the bitcoin community as a whole.. 

thanks for all the feedback..

Your website itself isn't shitty, if you're getting 70k hits daily your site is a gold mine.

Asking for 5700 so you don't have to pay for hosting yourself is a shitty idea.
Asking for $5600 for 12 months of hosting is terrible donation when you can get 56 months for what you need.

A project is needing the funding for the next handheld bitcoin trading platform, or debit card. A project isn't getting money so you don't pay anything but make all the money.

Like I said before, your adsense should be at least 1-4% clicks.. You need to fix positions of your ads, have 3 on there. There are DOZENS AND DOZENS of things you can do to make more profit with your site and not need funding.

For $5700 you might as well pay for business class internet 300mbs and buy your own server and run it from your house and have blazing fast internet for yourself.

Like I said, I'll buy it with 25% commission for life.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:18:31 AM

You should sell it to farlack

I'm inclined to agree.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: