Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 12:54:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I am going to withdraw my Bitcoin Kickstarter  (Read 8694 times)
the founder (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 04:18:39 AM

Your website itself isn't shitty, if you're getting 70k hits daily your site is a gold mine.

That number wildly varies between 20,000 and 70,000 ...   like when mtgox was down everyone showed up at http://www.ounce.me because the system dollar averaged from the other exchanges .. so people were still able to get some sort of reasonably accurate quote.

Today it was closer to 20,000 ...  

Thursday   20,399    
Wednesday 78,662
Tuesday    31,013
Monday    65,057    
Sunday     22,587

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Teka

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:21:00 AM

I am going to sleep on it tonight... and most likely in the morning withdraw my Kickstarter Project.

Clearly my project was shitty,  I thought I was trying to do the right thing,  but all I got was blamed for what I believed was trying to further the bitcoin community as a whole..  

thanks for all the feedback..

Your website itself isn't shitty, if you're getting 70k hits daily your site is a gold mine.

Asking for 5700 so you don't have to pay for hosting yourself is a shitty idea.
Asking for $5600 for 12 months of hosting is terrible donation when you can get 56 months for what you need.

A project is needing the funding for the next handheld bitcoin trading platform, or debit card. A project isn't getting money so you don't pay anything but make all the money.

Like I said before, your adsense should be at least 1-4% clicks.. You need to fix positions of your ads, have 3 on there. There are DOZENS AND DOZENS of things you can do to make more profit with your site and not need funding.

For $5700 you might as well pay for business class internet 300mbs and buy your own server and run it from your house and have blazing fast internet for yourself.

Like I said, I'll buy it with 25% commission for life.

I'm not sure about the price of a fiber optic leased line in the US but here in the UK he would have to pay at least £500/month for a 100mb up and down connection.
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:36:23 AM

Interesting thread.  How quickly someone went from being really excited, to wanting to pull his project.

I do tend to agree that this isn't anything too innovative and it's not something I personally would pay for. 

Live your dreams though if this is something you want to do and you feel this is a way to cover costs, go for it.

On a side note, lets not try to hype this up as some innovative new thing. There have been projects that revolve around bitcoin before on kickstarter, this isn't a first and to be honest (not trying to be mean) it's just a simple app.  I wouldnt say this paving the way for the future of bitcoin or anything like that.  It's simple web app that people may enjoy, nothing more and nothing less.

Best of luck to you, don't let peoples negative thoughts impact you so much though. Dream big and do what you want, regarldess of what others say.  Guys like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, etc etc would never of had success if they had listened to all the negative voices who told them their projects were stupid.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:52:29 AM

I'm not sure about the price of a fiber optic leased line in the US but here in the UK he would have to pay at least £500/month for a 100mb up and down connection.

300Up 65Down for $250 at Verizon:
The benefit of doing this would be you get free fast as hell internet that's a tax writeoff in full. That's "If" you need that.. His site has 1 thing on it, doubtful you need 300up or 65down anyway.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:56:21 AM

It might be good to withdraw for now, bud.  Read up a bit more on objective-C and see if that can cut down the cost of making the app, yeah?

farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 05:00:21 AM

It might be good to withdraw for now, bud.  Read up a bit more on objective-C and see if that can cut down the cost of making the app, yeah?

He doesn't need funds to make an app, he needs funds to host it for a year on everyone elses dime.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 07:25:56 AM
Last edit: April 05, 2013, 01:13:52 PM by Transisto

Your website once.me takes ~22kb per page , 70000*0.022mb = 1.54gb per day or 46gb a month

~95% of the information on your site I don't care about,,, no, I'm not actually flowing platinum price.
Pizza index,,, oh so funny, I guess some people will get the reference.

I would like to point out that I pay 10$ for a VPS solely for the purpose of seeding the blochain, it's consuming ~500gb in upload per month, unfortunately that's only half of my allocated traffic.

Why does this thread need 4 page ? isn't that enough said that there is already about 3000 places that offer btc price quotes for free ?
Mosper

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 08:21:21 AM

What exactly is the app? Is it running processes for everyone who visits the page or just static values displayed to everyone and only pulled once to update them? If it's the latter and you won't be running up processes/cpu like a lunatic I will the host damn thing for you. If nothing else I'll give you a cpanel to put it on and we can see how it performs/how much usage you actually have.

Me? I'm just the cynical voice floating in the sea of unchecked optimism.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 10:00:38 AM

This is laughable
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 10:11:17 AM

Don't listen to people in this thread. When Casascius released his first version of his coins, he had a typo, and people who contribute nothing to the advancement of Bitcoin were really harsh. Screw the freeloaders. Give it a go.  See what happens.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 11:44:36 AM

Don't listen to people in this thread. When Casascius released his first version of his coins, he had a typo, and people who contribute nothing to the advancement of Bitcoin were really harsh. Screw the freeloaders. Give it a go.  See what happens.

I appreciate it but just reading through this thread again is less then helpful.  leave it there and if it ends in a month with a total of $10 contributed to it like where is right now then it went down in bitter failure

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
blockbet.net

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Admin at blockbet.net

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 12:14:56 PM

I think you should withdraw, if not now then maybe in a couple of days if it's not getting any additional backers. Having a project like this listed with $10 will not help Bitcoin or Kickstarter or you.

Again, I'm not trying to discourage you in any way, but you should get back to the drawing board and see if you could get it done without Kickstarter backing - as we've mentioned here it can probably be done for a lot less than what you're asking for, maybe you can pay for it yourself and you should be profitable in a few months. You will also learn a lot about iOS development in the process that will help you in the future, I'm sure you will find the information that you need online or from books for cheap if not for free.

If you want to get back on Kickstarter for a future project, you need to think about your goals more clearly. Especially the price needs to be the lowest price possible (remember that it can go well over that if people like it) and you need to explain where you're going to spend that money and why it is absolutely necessary. You can't just throw a random sum out there and see if people are willing to give you that (they aren't).

Good luck with this and your future projects.

Bitcoin Sports Betting online at www.blockbet.net, featuring NBA, NHL, UFC, football (soccer) and international competitions. Fast payouts directly to your wallet, great win odds, no need to register or deposit. Bet in just a few clicks now!
Gurthang

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 12:50:14 PM

If it were not an Apple thingy, then I would invest.  Sorry, but I can't stand Apple.  Good luck on your project.
mccoyspace

Activity: 237
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 01:07:01 PM

This thread makes a perfect occasion to re-read "Digital Maoism".
http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/lanier06/lanier06_index.html

"Sent from my iPhone"
dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 02:40:29 PM

I appreciate it but just reading through this thread again is less then helpful.  leave it there and if it ends in a month with a total of $10 contributed to it like where is right now then it went down in bitter failure

Anybody posting innovated ideas on this forum needs a thick skin. There are large numbers of ideas here, most of which are crazy, stupid, fraudulent, unworkable, etc. Consequently there are people who go around calling nearly everything crazy/stupid/fraudulent/unworkable and they feel pretty good about themselves because they are right most of the time.

I've been through the cycle several times now, and I've learned to just read through the comments looking for anything which gives ME doubt about my idea. Then, if I'm still happy with my idea, I just thank people profusely for their intelligent comments (whether or not they were intelligent) and announce that I haven't seen anything to convince me my idea won't work, and that I am proceeding. That usually quiets the criticism. You might post your response to a couple valid criticisms that other people might be wondering about, but don't get into arguments which distract you and the community from your goal.

Thanks for doing this, whether or not you succeed.

notbrain

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 03:52:37 PM

+1. Yep. Ignore the haters or people who think its expensive. $6k is not that much and you'll probably spend over 100 hours on this (and I'm not even including server costs/setup). All software project planning is guessing and kind of worthless, no matter how simple the app seems from the start; there are hidden costs and time sinks you will never know about beforehand (like this thread of holier than thous). You should get a decent pay out of this especially for the time and risk exposure. Everybody's a naysayer and wishes they could do it too. Let them. Talk is cheap, and so are cheap services and people who can say "I can do it cheaper." Just forge ahead despite the criticism.
glitch003

Activity: 219
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:21:25 PM

I'm a professional iOS developer, and the app you're trying to make would take me about a week.  It's incredibly simple and ~$5,500 is an insane amount of money to develop it.  In fact, depending on how bored I am this weekend, I may just make it myself for free, just for fun. 

Also, take a look at www.ovh.ie for servers. You can get a dedicated quad core server with 2x2TB sata drives, 16GB of ram, 100 Megabit unlimited bandwidth, for about $65 a month.  I have one there with an uptime of 168 days right now.  $500 a month is insane, even for 70k pageviews a day.
the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 04:38:28 PM

Don't listen to people in this thread. When Casascius released his first version of his coins, he had a typo, and people who contribute nothing to the advancement of Bitcoin were really harsh. Screw the freeloaders. Give it a go.  See what happens.

+1. Yep. Ignore the haters or people who think its expensive. $6k is not that much and you'll probably spend over 100 hours on this (and I'm not even including server costs/setup). All software project planning is guessing and kind of worthless, no matter how simple the app seems from the start; there are hidden costs and time sinks you will never know about beforehand (like this thread of holier than thous). You should get a decent pay out of this especially for the time and risk exposure. Everybody's a naysayer and wishes they could do it too. Let them. Talk is cheap, and so are cheap services and people who can say "I can do it cheaper." Just forge ahead despite the criticism.

You most likely are right,  but it is sitting at 10 dollars.  (even in this thread) if everyone that supported it pledged 5 bucks (they would not even have to pay 5 dollars if it didn't reach the goal)  it would be roughly 4% there...

2 people did.. and I do thank you for pledging 5 bucks each for that.

---  EDIT ----

Who ever just contributed big like that THANK YOU!!!

-----------------

blockbet.net

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Admin at blockbet.net

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 05:38:44 PM

I agree with the haters gonna hate comment. I disagree about the second part - investors aren't supposed to pay him salary so that he can work on his own project during his free time, especially when investors aren't getting back anything other than thank you's. He will have his salary paid once the project is finished (if it's any good). Of course it would be a bit different if the project would require many months of full-time commitment.

Another way to look at it is that an investor could pay him monthly salary + expenses, but then the end results (and profits generated) would belong to the investor.

Bitcoin Sports Betting online at www.blockbet.net, featuring NBA, NHL, UFC, football (soccer) and international competitions. Fast payouts directly to your wallet, great win odds, no need to register or deposit. Bet in just a few clicks now!
Teka

Activity: 840

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 06:07:42 PM

Have you thought about making bitcoin tshirt's?It could be a good way of getting extra investors and you can easily make like $5 or more per tshirt.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: