Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:20:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Interest Check] - User Rank 'Banned'  (Read 5983 times)
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16596

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2016, 09:16:58 AM

If I'm not missing something, of course
Modlog only goes back a few days (or maybe weeks).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 11:10:48 AM

If I'm not missing something, of course
Modlog only goes back a few days (or maybe weeks).

The last 7 days' activity can be found there.
I had raised a question of whether the full (or a slightly longer) log can be made available.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1209243.0
If this is done, it would list out all the permabans.....
Lauda (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2016, 12:55:18 PM

I had raised a question of whether the full (or a slightly longer) log can be made available.
I guess increasing the length of the log is another option. However, that would not work for older bans (unless it was made permanently viewable) and it would be inefficient in comparison to just having the user have the rank.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
botany
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 01:04:24 PM

I guess increasing the length of the log is another option. However, that would not work for older bans (unless it was made permanently viewable) and it would be inefficient in comparison to just having the user have the rank.

Correct. But making the full modlog would bring out other useful information too.
Like the number of posts of a user which have been deleted..
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2016, 01:14:10 PM

I guess increasing the length of the log is another option. However, that would not work for older bans (unless it was made permanently viewable) and it would be inefficient in comparison to just having the user have the rank

I'm curious when peeps will finally stop contriving arguments for justifying the introduction of the Banned rank? Is there really anyone interested if some user got a permaban a month ago? What would be the purpose of that if that user is no longer able to post thanks to the ban anyway? The main argument in favor of adding this ugly rank seems to help catch copy-pasters, but if an alleged scofflaw hasn't been posting for a week or longer, aren't we already there?

In respect to making longer logs, what prevents the agents of justice and masters of destinies from just copying this log daily?

Lauda (OP)
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2016, 01:22:12 PM

I'm curious when peeps will finally stop contriving arguments for justifying the introduction of the Banned rank? Is there really anyone interested if some user got a permaban a month ago? What would be the purpose of that if that user is no longer able to post thanks to the ban anyway?
The idea is to save time and avoid uncertainty. I could say that a fair % of reports that I get via PM have already been handled (i.e. banned). Not only does this waste my own time, but also the time of the person that wrote up the report (unless they are the first one to catch the violator). I'm certain that this happens to other moderators as well.

The main argument in favor of adding this ugly rank seems to help catch copy-pasters, but if an alleged scofflaw hasn't been posting for a week or longer, aren't we already there?
It applies for different kinds of violations. There are plenty of people who are contributing (specifically reporting) to the forum and in favor of this. I don't see why we should listen to the non contributors (does this include you?), since it doesn't really affect them. It would be easier to find ban evading alts for the people looking into that, but that's another story.

In respect to making longer logs, what prevents the agents of justice and masters of destinies from copying this log daily?
Nothing. This is a question for botany, as I don't have a stance on the log.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2016, 02:26:01 PM
Last edit: December 31, 2016, 03:36:05 PM by deisik

I'm curious when peeps will finally stop contriving arguments for justifying the introduction of the Banned rank? Is there really anyone interested if some user got a permaban a month ago? What would be the purpose of that if that user is no longer able to post thanks to the ban anyway?
The idea is to save time and avoid uncertainty. I could say that a fair % of reports that I get via PM have already been handled (i.e. banned). Not only does this waste my own time, but also the time of the person that wrote up the report (unless they are the first one to catch the violator). I'm certain that this happens to other moderators as well

Doesn't the aforementioned log do just that already?

The main argument in favor of adding this ugly rank seems to help catch copy-pasters, but if an alleged scofflaw hasn't been posting for a week or longer, aren't we already there?
It applies for different kinds of violations. There are plenty of people who are contributing (specifically reporting) to the forum and in favor of this. I don't see why we should listen to the non contributors (does this include you?), since it doesn't really affect them. It would be easier to find ban evading alts for the people looking into that, but that's another story

I'm actually curious what is driving all these people, I mean supporters of this idea (not the people who search for body doubles, though they seem to be mostly the same individuals). Are they just striving for more blood spilt? If they are sincere and do really want to help forum get rid of shitty posters and the garbage they post (I'm all in, just in case), why don't they just stick to using this log? If it is not very handy for this aim, a utility can be designed for analyzing it specifically for this purpose. People have been writing all kinds of scripts for obtaining various statistics about the forum, so there shouldn't be any difficulty in developing a specialized tool for these headhunters, right?

What are their real motives?

Lauda (OP)
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2016, 02:34:52 PM

Doesn't the aforementioned log do just that already?
As I've already mentioned, it doesn't work in several scenarios and isn't as efficient as a user rank would be. Unless there is a tool, that is easily available for all of the reporters, which keeps track and helps with analyzing the log, then this just isn't enough.

I'm actually curious what is driving all these people,
-snip-

What are their real motives?
Who are these people that you're talking about? I do not like to speculate regarding their intentions. I'll let someone else do this.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
botany
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 02:37:20 PM

In respect to making longer logs, what prevents the agents of justice and masters of destinies from just copying this log daily?

Nothing. In fact, I did maintain a summary of the perma-bans.
I think I have the list from September 2015 to around Feb 2016.
Then I got tired of doing it.  Tongue
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: