Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:24:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Vircurex AND BTC-E in DDOS?  (Read 3361 times)
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1033

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:54:13 PM

Phew. Facts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
paultramarine

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:57:31 PM

Vircurex has a thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49383.new#new

They announced they were down and having datacenter trouble. So it should be nothing to worry about. Just persistant DDOS.

BTC-E dev says they didn't say anything about Vircurex hacked, so thats just FUD.

I ain't trollin - i saw the statement from btc-e support that vircurex was a hack myself.  But I'm glad it was wrong.
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 05:16:03 PM

I offered them DDoS protection that would suit their needs a few days ago but they declined.

I would decline services from someone with 37 posts, too.  In fact, I'd probably decline services from myself, just based on my forum postings alone.  Do you have some kind of credentials in this field?

FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 05:24:05 PM

Its the governments and bankers doing the DDOS attacks, acting under from the instructions of the Bilderberg group as they can't stop the masses abandoning their fiat money system Cheesy

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 05:47:18 PM

From the mtgox announcement
http://www.bitcoinrumors.com/2013/04/04/mtgox-announcement-on-ddos-attack/

"Why has Mt.Gox become the target of a DDoS attack?
Abuse the system for profit.
 Attackers wait until the price of Bitcoins reaches a certain value, sell, destabilize the exchange, wait for everybody to panic-sell their Bitcoins, wait for the price to drop to a certain amount, then stop the attack and start buying as much as they can. Repeat this two or three times like we saw over the past few days and they profit."

I speculate that the attackers are targeting vircurex and btc-e for the same reason. They would have placed low bids, attacked, then when the attacks stop there will be panic selling, their bids will scoop up the coins cheap, when prices return to normal in a few days they'll sell making a profit. They'll then use part of their profit to attack again in a while, and keep doing this as long as they make a profit.

To neutralize this, as soon as the exchanges reopen people can cancel their asks and place bids. This will slow the selling, and so reduce the attackers' profit. Without a profit they won't do this again. I pledge the following, for three days after the exchanges reopen I will:

1) Cancel my asks.

2) Place bids with my bitcoins already on the exchange.

3) Send in more bitcoins from my wallet, and place more bids.

nwbitcoin

Activity: 294

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 05:55:15 PM

The DDoS attacks are a western finance industry phenomena!

It seems that its possibly a middle east based attack on all western financial institutions - they probably don't know the difference between bitcoin and wall st. Its just a shame bitcoin infrastructure isn't built linka normal banking one!

Read about it on a security website earlier today - wish I could find the link!

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
Zoiner

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 06:46:58 PM

I don't think they have anything like the volume of BTCE/MTGOX but it has been a steady little exchange just overwhelmed by a rush. 

It also seems very secure with yubikey authorisation too.

https://vircurex.com/welcome/index?referral_id=648-281
The QR code in my picture is not me but a worthwhile software.
LWwhT53CdLsSaenoMy2AqhwsxL5MMFmwWY
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 07:17:14 PM

Maybe they are targeting all those alt-coins that had their prices sky-rocket the last few days. This does not look good for some of the alt-coins  Undecided

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
legend

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 08:19:08 PM

I offered them DDoS protection that would suit their needs a few days ago but they declined.

I would decline services from someone with 37 posts, too.  In fact, I'd probably decline services from myself, just based on my forum postings alone.  Do you have some kind of credentials in this field?
BTC-E have an account on here? :O
Never knew when offering DDoS protection I had to link my BTC-E profile!
Yes, in fact, I have multiple testimonials and have a few servers along with hardware firewalls.
cptmooseinc

Activity: 396

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 08:25:10 PM

I guarantee you that CloudFlare's protection is better than anything you could offer man. :p

The Moose's Tip Jar: BTC - 1HoTm9ZqrEmD5Tvs5qAdPM311agyN3eHra
LTC - LPg9svS4dcK5Kzy6HUoef8icrnDxED3ZVA
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 08:57:46 PM

I guarantee you that CloudFlare's protection is better than anything you could offer man. :p

Cloudflare is useless, Freenet or Tor would be prevent this easily, and they wouldn't have to pay $1000/mth for pro DDOS protection. Eventually all the exchanges will have to be on Freenet or something similar

spacegoat

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

We are connected. you are me I am you.

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 09:40:07 PM

reasons to trust any exchange?  any accountability?  like legally?

isn't there a post in the newbs thats says TRUST NO ONE...?

can i get some reasons why i should trust who with storing any amount of my coins while trading?  it seems like pretty much anybody could run an exchange, and anybody could do it totally anonymously, and also disappear and make a great heist anonymously.  am I wrong?  please enlighten me on these concerns

yeah baby yeah
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 09:44:44 PM

Enlightenment: you make a lot more $$$$ running a legit business for years than you do scamming people for a few weeks/months.
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 09:51:01 PM

Do you think they will hit bitcointalk too?

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 10:15:01 PM

Wow, these DDOS types are really persistant. It seriously sucks though- DDOS is becoming a real problem for our nascent economy.
Running an exchange over cjdns, tor or i2p would help mitigate a DDOS attack I think. Have a public facing normal internet site that just proxies to the alt-network site. This would be a little slower (although it's pretty good on cjdns). If the public network site get's DDOS'd bring up another since it's quick to do a proxy - and users can use the alt-network site if they really need to trade.

Downsides are people don't trust sites on alt-networks but that's mainly anonymous people setting up exchanges that are untrusted I think. Other downsides are it limits users if it's only accessible via the alt network.
legend

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 10:44:05 PM

Are you sure? They will suspend you if you receive a 5Gbps HTTP flood.
No_2

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 11:43:31 PM

Enlightenment: you make a lot more $$$$ running a legit business for years than you do scamming people for a few weeks/months.

+1
No_2

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 11:46:47 PM

I neither believe nor disbelieve what you're saying. Can we get some explanation for either side of this "discussion" as I'm curious. I do not even know how anti-DDOS would work...
legend

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 11:48:02 PM

I neither believe nor disbelieve what you're saying. Can we get some explanation for either side of this "discussion" as I'm curious. I do not even know how anti-DDOS would work...

PM me, this is no place for a discussion on anti-ddos.
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 12:08:07 AM

http://blog.cloudflare.com/the-ddos-that-almost-broke-the-internet

Spamhaus was getting pounded by 300Gps DDoS from all directions as they were pinging DNS servers to add to the dos. This almost broke a Tier 1 backbone. This is not going to get any easier best solution is torrify your exchange, or put it on Freenet/i2p whenever the anti ddos protection fails as a temporary backup for customers.

Also helps to use Silk Road methods to prevent slowloris attacks and slowDoS like encoding all images to base64.

Best part is Tor costs $0.00 instead of thousands per month in DDoS protection
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: