Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:46:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Post your SegWit questions here - open discussion - big week for Bitcoin!  (Read 84737 times)
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 11:51:33 AM

It looks likely LTC will incorporate seg witness first. That will be interesting indeed.
what would you like to see interesting?
Except of speculation about exchange rates, there will be nothing "interesting" there.

In my opinion, Litecoin's Segwit adoption could be indeed "interesting" for Bitcoin. If successful, it could show to Bitcoin miners that the soft fork is not so risky or "complicated" than some of them may fear. Also, as I understand there are miner groups involved in LTC and BTC mining that could try Segwit first with LTC where they hold less stake and then in case of success enable it in BTC too.

For this reasons, I expect Segwit adoption among Bitcoin miners (and probably also among normal nodes) to go up in case the LTC softfork happens without problems. It may not be enough to reach 95% inmediately but it could help pave the way to there.

Well...I hate to say this..but what happens if it just 'bottlenecks' here now w/o seq witness happening and/or bitcoin core standing firm on no hard fork block chain increase....

looking kinda dire..hell, I'd like to at least here that the various groups were 'AT LEAST' getting together in some forum/chat or something trying to work thru this. But

seems to me likely, nothing of note is being talked about with these guys about the 'elephant in the room'  Sad At least at this time imho. Befuddling.

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10243

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 05:47:45 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2017, 06:21:15 PM by JayJuanGee

It looks likely LTC will incorporate seg witness first. That will be interesting indeed.
Except of speculation about exchange rates, there will be nothing "interesting" there.

In my opinion, Litecoin's Segwit adoption could be indeed "interesting" for Bitcoin. If successful, it could show to Bitcoin miners that the soft fork is not so risky or "complicated" than some of them may fear. Also, as I understand there are miner groups involved in LTC and BTC mining that could try Segwit first with LTC where they hold less stake and then in case of success enable it in BTC too.

For this reasons, I expect Segwit adoption among Bitcoin miners (and probably also among normal nodes) to go up in case the LTC softfork happens without problems. It may not be enough to reach 95% inmediately but it could help pave the way to there.

Well...I hate to say this..but what happens if it just 'bottlenecks' here now w/o seq witness happening and/or bitcoin core standing firm on no hard fork block chain increase....

looking kinda dire..hell, I'd like to at least here that the various groups were 'AT LEAST' getting together in some forum/chat or something trying to work thru this. But

seems to me likely, nothing of note is being talked about with these guys about the 'elephant in the room'  Sad At least at this time imho. Befuddling.

Maybe the below linked article explains the point fairly well, which in essence bitcoin is not broken and that it is likely a good thing that bitcoin is difficult to change.  

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-scaling-biggest-problem-greatest-stregth-satoshi-roundtable/

So, in that regard, even if segwit does not get adopted in the near future, it is not a bad thing that it is difficult to add changes and features to bitcoin... even though I had thought that seg wit was pretty non controversial of an update, but if there are a significant number of folks who want to block its implementation, then we just have to stay with the bitcoin that we currently have, which is probably not a bad thing, no?

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
classicsucks

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 07:22:08 AM

Hmm well I've started reading the arguments of the Bitcoin Unlimited project, and they are simple and concise. As painful as it is, I may start running their software. I feel it's the only way I can send the message to the core devs to increase the blocksize. I just spent 2 days trying to unf*ck a transaction sent during the latest transaction spam attack...

I thought I remember the core devs saying at one point that a blocksize increase was imminent, but maybe they only meant with Segwit?

I don't think it's fair to say that people are blocking Segwit, only 25% have adopted it!
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 07:47:36 AM

Hmm well I've started reading the arguments of the Bitcoin Unlimited project, and they are simple and concise. As painful as it is, I may start running their software. I feel it's the only way I can send the message to the core devs to increase the blocksize. I just spent 2 days trying to unf*ck a transaction sent during the latest transaction spam attack...

I thought I remember the core devs saying at one point that a blocksize increase was imminent, but maybe they only meant with Segwit?

I don't think it's fair to say that people are blocking Segwit, only 25% have adopted it!

yeah how I'm seeing it....(eyeing bitseed v2 node in the basement ...blinking at me as we speak..yeah you heard right 'gender change to BU...blinking increases....) Smiley

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8420

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2017, 10:01:12 AM

Hmm well I've started reading the arguments of the Bitcoin Unlimited project, and they are simple and concise. As painful as it is, I may start running their software. I feel it's the only way I can send the message to the core devs to
That isn't the message you send me by running it.

Segwit, only 25% have adopted it!
62% of listening nodes are signaling segwit support right now.
amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 10:09:00 AM

a) How does non-mining node signal anything?
b) Who cares?
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 10:42:58 AM

This a really interesting line of thought and I hope it has some truth to it. I would be more comfortable if this was clearly communicated between devs and the miners. And, if so, I see no reason not to communicate it to the community at large.

Also, can someone explain why the segwit softfork would need 95%. What's the point with that? Why not 75% or 65% even? Sry if this has been explained before.

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1253

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 01:47:13 PM

Also, can someone explain why the segwit softfork would need 95%. What's the point with that? Why not 75% or 65% even? Sry if this has been explained before.

Because the idea is to have an evolution of the existing system and not create an additional system.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2017, 06:33:41 PM

They signal through service bits in the Version message. Those supporting Segwit will have the appropriate service bit set.

b) Who cares?
Decentralization and consensus does. The more nodes that support the change, the more the new rules will be enforced. The enforcers won't just be the miners, but it will also be the full nodes who verify and relay everything.

amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 06:47:24 PM

They signal through service bits in the Version message.
Those supporting Segwit will have the appropriate service bit set.
Isn't this bit set by default in 0.13.x? So, this is not segwit signalling in fact, but a number of
users who does not change default client options

Decentralization and consensus does.
Sending bits in version message is not consensus. And decentralization is not a human object. It can not care about anything.

The enforcers won't just be the miners, but it will also be the full nodes who verify and relay everything.
The network *can* accept segwit consensus rules even if 3% (or even less) of relay nodes upgrade software.
I think you know it better than me. I do not understand this speculating about 62%. This is the number of nodes
with modern client, not segwit supporters
Fatman3001
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 11:56:36 PM

Because the idea is to have an evolution of the existing system and not create an additional system.

But surely, looking at the mining community, that's a recipe for failure. I will ask again. Is there any substantial communication between core devs and the mining community to make progress more likely? Any progress? Or is it an "all or nothing" approach that's being pursued?

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
Anon TumbleBit

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2017, 01:15:14 AM

Is TumbleBit implemenntationn based on SegWit? In other words, TumbleBit can be implemented after SegWit activation, is it correct?
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1253

View Profile
January 27, 2017, 06:57:15 AM

But surely, looking at the mining community, that's a recipe for failure.

It's not a failure to keep a working system when there is no consensus (on how) to change that system.
Fatman3001
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2017, 07:49:52 AM

It's not a failure to keep a working system when there is no consensus (on how) to change that system.

Well, that's very zen of you. The question will soon have to be : working as what?

Already it's no good for micro tx's. Soon (if we're lucky) it won't be working in any meaningful way as digital cash. What's left then?

Some will say it will be the perfect digital gold then. To me it sounds more like a distributed decentralized pyramid scheme.

I hope your position isn't representative for the whole of core. I hope some in core see this as something more than an act of deep meditation.

bit1
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2017, 12:20:48 AM

Affirmative!  to put it in better perspective, maybe the word "classic" is the better sample of it  although wasn't related to scaling but it serves as an example, if the system is divided that what happens, subtracting strength from one and the other, and as some people think, maybe this would end up undermining credibility BTC, I am not very sure but I think that up to now only a 50-60 consensus has been reached despite the fact that considerable time has already passed, if that's the case, the balance will not tip anywhere yet, in any possible scenario, it is better to be prepared so as not to surprise the effects that might arise, therefore it is better to remain attentive to the evolution that mainly requires the scalability of BTC, what is clear is that in case of not achieving consensus there will be two networks less secure and one of them safer, that in the worst case.
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 29, 2017, 01:33:22 PM

Well, that's very zen of you. The question will soon have to be : working as what?

Already it's no good for micro tx's. Soon (if we're lucky) it won't be working in any meaningful way as digital cash. What's left then?

Some will say it will be the perfect digital gold then. To me it sounds more like a distributed decentralized pyramid scheme.

I hope your position isn't representative for the whole of core. I hope some in core see this as something more than an act of deep meditation.

ehh even satoshi advised against bitcoin unlimited, bitcoin xt, bitcoin classic etc.. hardfork attempts here in the forum, he predicted the ETH/ETC incident and knew this can happen with bitcoin if someone is stupid enough to hard fork and have bitcoin divided into two chains.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=195.msg1611

classicsucks

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 02:59:36 PM

Hmm well I've started reading the arguments of the Bitcoin Unlimited project, and they are simple and concise. As painful as it is, I may start running their software. I feel it's the only way I can send the message to the core devs to
That isn't the message you send me by running it.
What message do you perceive? I know it probably seems like everyone is always attacking... not my intention, but I feel like dialogue has ended and a resolution has not emerged. So I voted - another BU node online.

Segwit, only 25% have adopted it!

According to https://bitcoincore.org/en/segwit_adoption/, 25% of mining capacity supports Segwit, it's my understanding that percentage of listening nodes is not relevant to the soft fork adoption threshold?
Fatman3001
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 11:51:49 AM

ehh even satoshi advised against bitcoin unlimited, bitcoin xt, bitcoin classic etc.. hardfork attempts here in the forum, he predicted the ETH/ETC incident and knew this can happen with bitcoin if someone is stupid enough to hard fork and have bitcoin divided into two chains.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=195.msg1611

I'd hate to argue with Craig through a third party about this, but the "eth/etc incident" was just that. Eth still lives and thrives and another shitcoin was born. But I thought the whole point of doing segwit as a softfork was that this wouldn't happen even with a much lower threshold?

Gimpeline

Activity: 555
Merit: 507

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 07:14:27 PM

b) Who cares?

The miners will have support of the 5% of nodes that is signaling BU support.
How do you think the network will work with 5% node support?
limpbrains

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2017, 05:05:57 PM

Hi
I have a wallet software ( https://github.com/limpbrains/django-cc ) built on top of the bitcoind. It allows you to create multiply wallets and handle their balances separately.
It uses api calls, such as gettransaction, sendmany, getblockhash, listsinceblock and some other.
Will output of api change ?
How do you think, will segwit break something for me, or not ?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  

Jump to: