Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:14:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardware change problem  (Read 1624 times)
Marko (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2010, 01:32:40 PM

So, i swapped out my motherboard for a newer one. Rest of the setup stayed the same. I restart the machine, windows xp boots up, discovers the hardware, reconfigures, all is good. I start up bitcoin....all my coins are gone. Why did this happen?
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitcoinex

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2010, 03:44:21 PM

So, i swapped out my motherboard for a newer one. Rest of the setup stayed the same. I restart the machine, windows xp boots up, discovers the hardware, reconfigures, all is good. I start up bitcoin....all my coins are gone. Why did this happen?

Helen Feiss? Smiley

Tell me how you turn off the computer before replacing?

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
November 07, 2010, 10:37:19 PM

Not sure how this is even possible to happen - but, if you had made a backup, you wouldn't have that problem now ;P

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
Marko (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2010, 07:12:31 AM

I'm not sure how this is possible either. i am stunned. it was only a few hundred btc so not too bad, but still...

I shut down bitcoin client, shut down windows, all good and proper. Bizarre...

FlyingMoose

Activity: 45

View Profile
November 08, 2010, 09:23:56 PM

*Only* a few hundred?  It's going to take me YEARS to get a few hundred (and I probly never will)...   Grin
Drifter

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2010, 12:49:21 AM

Don't know why this might help...but have you tried to see if the bitcoins show up again using the old mobo?

nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 09, 2010, 01:15:33 AM

I'm lucky enough to not have to tinker with windows anymore, but assuming hardware is functioning correctly my first actions would be to check if windows didn't switch users or something. Do a full disk search for files called wallet.dat as you might find more than one Smiley
Aqualung

Activity: 357
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2010, 12:30:59 PM

So, i swapped out my motherboard for a newer one. Rest of the setup stayed the same. I restart the machine, windows xp boots up, discovers the hardware, reconfigures, all is good
so simple? i tried to run WinXP after replacement of my old ASUS mb for a new one (ASUS) and there was so many errors with drivers that i decided to reinstall XP... / use search for "wallet.dat" if nothing else was lost you should find your wallet

used to be a miner
LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
November 09, 2010, 12:59:52 PM

%APPDATA%\Bitcoin

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
Marko (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2010, 03:25:59 PM

Ok...so false alarm. Sorry to create forum spam.

The motherboard i switched to had screwed up time on it. I believe the effects of this are documented. NTP never updated until i set the time reasonably close to actual. I simply didn't notice it. So, it rejected all the blocks i created because they were from the future and wasn't taking any new blocks in from the network. I only noticed this because i was doing some calculations with block count and realized it hasn't changed.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
November 10, 2010, 03:46:11 PM

Thanks for letting us know, instead of just disappearing. Your post will no doubt help someone else who finds themselves in a similar situation.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: