Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:48:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What DB do you use at your end?  (Read 3654 times)
PremiumCodeX (OP)

Activity: 1204
Merit: 531

Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 08:13:45 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I was researching the ways how people make queries in the blockchain and I got the result that many create custom DBs on their ends to support their ways. If you use an additional DB at your end (other than core's leveldb) to store blockchain data, what DB do you use?

[TUTORIAL] How to steal $350 000?
Best OS for recovering stolen BTCs.
Visit our FREE Bitcointalk thread.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TransaDox

Activity: 219
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 08:53:08 AM

SQLite
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2016, 08:57:50 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Whilst it is a great small SQL DB it isn't suitable for multiple users due to its use of global locking (unless they have completely reworked that in recent years).

I would favour using something like MySQL if wanting to have something that will scale hugely and handle multiple concurrent users.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
MadGamer
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 09:04:24 AM

I was researching the ways how people make queries in the blockchain and I got the result that many create custom DBs on their ends to support their ways. If you use an additional DB at your end (other than core's leveldb) to store blockchain data, what DB do you use?

Both MSSQL Server (If you are using Windows to host it) and MySQL should be great choices . SQLite or Realm.io should be considered as an alternative for MSSQL or MySQL If you are building a mobile app.
PremiumCodeX (OP)

Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons

View Profile
November 19, 2016, 09:47:46 PM

So, most people use MySQL here, but also recommend SQLite and Realm.io. I am missing Oracle, though. In my story, I was using Oracle for several months up to now and it has nice features like highly customizable locking configuration. Although I used and agree with the excellence of the listed other DBs, why am I so lonely with my Oracle as a favorit?

MadGamer
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 06:38:35 PM

So, most people use MySQL here, but also recommend SQLite and Realm.io. I am missing Oracle, though. In my story, I was using Oracle for several months up to now and it has nice features like highly customizable locking configuration. Although I used and agree with the excellence of the listed other DBs, why am I so lonely with my Oracle as a favorit?

Oracle is considered as one of the most powerful RDBMS, don't under estimate it. It's mostly the companies that use Oracle and here why as for the differences you could check this article from Udemy or Oracle documentation
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2016, 06:50:40 PM

I have worked with many RDBMS engines (including DB/2 and Oracle) and they are all very powerful things.

There is really no reason to prefer one over the other in regards to what you are wanting to do.

The only thing that no current RDBMS handles well is actual "rollback" in terms of a "re-org" (normally a DB "rollback" is actually just restoring a backup and then "rolling forward" the newer txs from the log).

AFAIA no modern DB can do this (although I do have a design for exactly this).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

PremiumCodeX (OP)

Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 07:02:05 PM

I have worked with many RDBMS engines (including DB/2 and Oracle) and they are all very powerful things.

There is really no reason to prefer one over the other in regards to what you are wanting to do.

The only thing that no current RDBMS handles well is actual "rollback" in terms of a "re-org" (normally a DB "rollback" is actually just restoring a backup and then "rolling forward" the newer txs from the log).

AFAIA no modern DB can do this (although I do have a design for exactly this).

With that argument you have raised my curiosity.

Would you mind, in the essence at least, elaborating your design for me?

How should a rollback happen in your view?

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2016, 07:53:12 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

A real "rollback" would require that the transaction log would have kept the full details of any deleted record (no major DB in the world does that AFAIA).

So if you want to "reverse history" it would be easy enough to recover "deleted records" using the transaction log.

Hope that makes sense.

PremiumCodeX (OP)

Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons

View Profile
November 26, 2016, 09:34:53 PM

A real "rollback" would require that the transaction log would have kept the full details of any deleted record (no major DB in the world does that AFAIA).

So if you want to "reverse history" it would be easy enough to recover "deleted records" using the transaction log.

Hope that makes sense.

Correct me if I misunderstood something, but would not that require a MUCH bigger size of HDD? In addition, the log writing and reading speed would significantly increase that would result in slower DBs, would not it? At large DBs, speed is essential because some queries could take up to 20 or more minutes even without the mentioned idea.

doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2016, 04:39:08 AM

Hope that makes sense.

Correct me if I misunderstood something, but would not that require a MUCH bigger size of HDD? In addition, the log writing and reading speed would significantly increase that would result in slower DBs, would not it? At large DBs, speed is essential because some queries could take up to 20 or more minutes even without the mentioned idea.

Yes, I used MS SQL for a project www.blockchainsql.io.  450GB database.  If you optimise right, queries can be lightning fast.
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2016, 04:40:53 AM

Eg:  total chain size

select sum(block.size) as totalsize from block
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2016, 05:20:01 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Correct me if I misunderstood something, but would not that require a MUCH bigger size of HDD?

As deletion (and in Bitcoin rollbacks) are infrequent operations it wouldn't practically be as significant an increase as you are imagining (but it would use more space for the translation log).

In addition, the log writing and reading speed would significantly increase that would result in slower DBs, would not it? At large DBs, speed is essential because some queries could take up to 20 or more minutes even without the mentioned idea.

Normal RDBMS "queries" do not involve the log at all so it would not have any speed effect upon read operations (it would only slow down "delete" operations).

PremiumCodeX (OP)

Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons

View Profile
November 27, 2016, 10:50:31 AM

Yes, I used MS SQL for a project www.blockchainsql.io.  450GB database.  If you optimise right, queries can be lightning fast.

Cool. Is that your project or did you build a project that used the mentioned project as something like an API?

At a 450-GB DB I think queries could be optimized up to less than 1 minute speed with your home gaming PC.

Correct me if I misunderstood something, but would not that require a MUCH bigger size of HDD?

As deletion (and in Bitcoin rollbacks) are infrequent operations it wouldn't practically be as significant an increase as you are imagining (but it would use more space for the translation log).

In addition, the log writing and reading speed would significantly increase that would result in slower DBs, would not it? At large DBs, speed is essential because some queries could take up to 20 or more minutes even without the mentioned idea.

Normal RDBMS "queries" do not involve the log at all so it would not have any speed effect upon read operations (it would only slow down "delete" operations).

It depends on the use-case then because in some DBs there are frequent delete operations. But I agree that most DBs are not like that so the possibility is worth to take into consideration. The question is how much it would increase the necessary space and the issue of SRP because even though rollbacks are infrequent operations, when they need them they usually need them ASAP.

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2016, 11:31:34 AM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

It depends on the use-case then because in some DBs there are frequent delete operations. But I agree that most DBs are not like that so the possibility is worth to take into consideration.

For blockchains (whose very purpose is to be a non-mutating structure) the "deletes" are only re-orgs (which although not that uncommon are generally not very large delete operations as most re-orgs are only one or two blocks deep) and depending upon how things are structured (such as if the structure of the chain itself is separated from the content of the blocks) would not need to involve much data.

The question is how much it would increase the necessary space and the issue of SRP because even though rollbacks are infrequent operations, when they need them they usually need them ASAP.

A "true rollback" (which as I said isn't being used by an major RBDMS that I am aware of) would actually be much faster than any other method (i.e. you either are going to have to issue update queries to act as though things are being unwound or restore an earlier backup which you'd then have to perform a partial log restore from).

Understand also that even if deletes involve appending the data to the log you would still be able to truncate the log for "checkpoints" (at which point any of that extra wasted space is recovered).

BuySomeBitcoins

Activity: 434
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 06:42:43 PM

The choice of the database depends on your needs, mostly I work on market places and cybersecurity [fraud] so I use MongoDB - Oracle
TransaDox

Activity: 219
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 29, 2016, 12:50:03 AM

A "true rollback" (which as I said isn't being used by an major RBDMS that I am aware of) would actually be much faster than any other method (i.e. you either are going to have to issue update queries to act as though things are being unwound or restore an earlier backup which you'd then have to perform a partial log restore from).

Understand also that even if deletes involve appending the data to the log you would still be able to truncate the log for "checkpoints" (at which point any of that extra wasted space is recovered).

SQLite enables one to create "Savepoints" which are like GOTO statements for rollback.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2016, 08:04:06 AM

SQLite enables one to create "Savepoints" which are like GOTO statements for rollback.

An interesting feature although from reading the documentation I think that is just for use with nested transactions.

The concept of a blockchain re-org though is not the same thing as you need to "rollback" transactions that have already been committed (something rather alien to how RDBMS transactions operate).

piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2016, 01:00:44 PM

If you use an additional DB at your end (other than core's leveldb) to store blockchain data, what DB do you use?
I use my own solution, based on a hashmap (acting as the index) holding pointers to the records.

It makes accessing the db very fast, but needs much more RAM comparing to leveldb or berkeley.

Apart from the hashmap index and the records, there is of course also a code for the disk operations - to keep the files in sync with the memory.

It's simple and rather archaic, but has been proven to work great for UTXO-db purposes - I would not swap it for any other db engine I know.
Although I'm also quite interested in other solutions, which I don't know - there must be some more optimal ways of doing it.

https://github.com/piotrnar/gocoin/tree/master/lib/qdb

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
borris123

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 29, 2016, 02:26:31 PM

Nexus has created their own DB 10x faster than googles.

https://twitter.com/mirraxFTC/status/798217450739220481

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=657601.0
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: