Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 07:42:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Avalon] Problem with temp3 sensor -- always shows 0 value  (Read 1795 times)
xempew (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:21:12 AM
Last edit: April 06, 2013, 07:41:59 AM by xempew

Updated/edited to provide some clarification on the issue.

I'm experiencing an issue where temp3 on the avalon unit always shows a value of 0.  Here is the relevant section from the 'Cgminer API Log':

[STATS0] =>
(
   ...<snip>...
   [fan1] => 0
   [fan2] => 780
   [fan3] => 800
   [temp1] => 30
   [temp2] => -1
   [temp3] => 0
   ...<snip>...
}

I understand only 2 temperature sensors are present, and reported via 'temp1' and 'temp3'.  temp2 is unused currently.

As you can see, the second temperature sensor 'temp3' is reporting constant 0 value.  When unit is hashing for 20+ minutes, fans stay at very low RPMs (~700-800).  This issue is unique to this one unit.  After scouring the forum, and confirming with one other Avalon user on IRC, it appears temp3 should also report non-zero value.  Is this wrong?

Any suggestions?  I am afraid to keep it running, as the fan speed stays very low and I do not think it is providing adequate cooling due to low temp3 sensor value.

Thanks.

In Satoshi We Trust.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitSyncom

Activity: 336
Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:22:26 AM

there is only 2 sensor. I hope you didn't unplug the wrong thing in the processor of trying to find something that doesn't exist.

xempew (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:29:05 AM

there is only 2 sensor. I hope you didn't unplug the wrong thing in the processor of trying to find something that doesn't exist.

I understand.  I did not unplug and plug to random connector.

I simply re-seated the sensor coming from the heatsink in the same socket/connector as I understand this is "temp3".

It is still reporting value of 0 always.  Any suggestion?

In Satoshi We Trust.
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 06:39:20 AM

I simply re-seated the sensor coming from the heatsink in the same socket/connector as I understand this is "temp3".

As stated it will always report 0. The sensor is not installed buy design. Get used to it dude Smiley

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
xempew (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 06:50:43 AM

As stated it will always report 0. The sensor is not installed buy design. Get used to it dude Smiley

Why do other avalon units have temperature value output on temp1 and temp3?  This is the only unit that has a constant 0 for temp3 value. And fan rpm always stays at ~700-800 rpm.

By reading the forum (see quote below) and and confirming with eennaam on ##avalon also, temp1 and temp3 return value, and temp2 is -1.

So i moved the modules, and it seems to be better at first look.
WARNING: use your own mind when considering doing the same.

before
[2013-03-18 12:37:02] Avalon: Fan1: 0/m, Fan2: 2280/m, Fan3: 2280/m    Temp1: 22C, Temp2: -1C, Temp3: 45C, TempMAX: 46C
after
[2013-03-18 16:19:23] Avalon: Fan1: 0/m, Fan2: 2040/m, Fan3: 2040/m    Temp1: 19C, Temp2: -1C, Temp3: 44C, TempMAX: 44C

temp3 should have non-zero value, according to this post, and user eennaam on IRC who confirmed as well.

Ioshia, what does your unit(s) return for temp1 and temp3?

In Satoshi We Trust.
veryveryinteresting

Activity: 60

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 06:53:47 AM

+1. If BitSyncom, one of the CREATORS of the Avalon, tells you there is no third sensor, guess what? There is no third sensor. Did you miss that it was he who replied to you and not a random forum member?
caoxg

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

Winter is coming

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 06:59:53 AM

I'm experiencing an issue where temp3 on the avalon unit always shows a value of 0.

I believe this is the sensor that is affixed to one of the module heatsinks in some thermal paste of some sort.

I traced this back to its connection on the board, it appeared to be seated correctly.  I unplugged it and re-seated it, with no success.

Any suggestions?  I am afraid to keep it running, as the fan speed stays very low and I do not think it is providing adequate cooling due to low temp3 sensor value.

Thanks.

temp3 should be the param control fan.

Although I know nothing about the hardware, I think you should take a picture of what sensor you reseated, so may others can help.

I'm running a Chinese crowdfunding website: dreamchina.com.
xempew (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 07:28:44 AM
Last edit: April 06, 2013, 07:43:32 AM by xempew

I'm experiencing an issue where temp3 on the avalon unit always shows a value of 0.

I believe this is the sensor that is affixed to one of the module heatsinks in some thermal paste of some sort.

I traced this back to its connection on the board, it appeared to be seated correctly.  I unplugged it and re-seated it, with no success.

Any suggestions?  I am afraid to keep it running, as the fan speed stays very low and I do not think it is providing adequate cooling due to low temp3 sensor value.

Thanks.

temp3 should be the param control fan.

Although I know nothing about the hardware, I think you should take a picture of what sensor you reseated, so may others can help.

My understanding is as follows:  'temp1' is from sensor mounted to one of the air intake fans.  'temp2' is not currently used (-1 value).  and 'temp3' is from sensor affixed to a module heat-sink.

After scouring the forum for example copy/paste of stats from other users Avalon, and confirming with an additional Avalon user on IRC it seems evident there are 2 temp sensor values each being reported through 'temp1' and 'temp3', respectively.  I apologize for the earlier miscommunication, I was not trying to assert there should be 3 temperature values reported.

The issue with this particular Avalon unit I have, temp3 has a constant value of 0, and the fans always stay at ~700-800 rpm, even after hashing at ~66 GH/s for 20 mins+.  I have turned this unit off to prevent damage.

Picture of the sensor connection that was re-seated (with no change to the temp3 '0' readout) is below.

Thanks for your time and assistance, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

In Satoshi We Trust.
xempew (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 07:53:10 AM

The Avalon team is telling you that there is NOT two sensors, There is only ONE physical sensor, out of the displayed THREE "sensors"

Sorry, I think you misunderstood what I'm trying to convey.  And also what BitSyncom said:

In Satoshi We Trust.
BitSyncom

Activity: 336
Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 08:31:06 AM

Mmmm, I see what you are talking about, interesting it could be you have a defective temp reader,

Let's move the temp3 to P3 and check if you are getting correct numbers on temp2 to confirm it is indeed a defective reader.

In the mean time also, to prevent the unit from overheating. you can shift the two adjustable fans to FAN4 and FAN5, which will run them at full speed ( could be a bit loud but it is a good temporary solution. )

and if temp2 also reports 0 after switching, then we can confirm that this is caused by a defective temp reader and we'll just mail you a new one.

xempew (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 09:09:44 AM
Last edit: April 06, 2013, 05:11:30 PM by xempew

Mmmm, I see what you are talking about, interesting it could be you have a defective temp reader,

Let's move the temp3 to P3 and check if you are getting correct numbers on temp2 to confirm it is indeed a defective reader.

In the mean time also, to prevent the unit from overheating. you can shift the two adjustable fans to FAN4 and FAN5, which will run them at full speed ( could be a bit loud but it is a good temporary solution. )

and if temp2 also reports 0 after switching, then we can confirm that this is caused by a defective temp reader and we'll just mail you a new one.

Dear BitSyncom:

As directed, I moved temp3 to P3 and observed the following output in 'CGminer API log' after running for ~8 minutes:

[STATS0] =>
(
   ...<snip>...
   [fan1] => 0
   [fan2] => 720
   [fan3] => 720
   [temp1] => 25
   [temp2] => 50
   [temp3] => 0
   ...<snip>...
)

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance with troubleshooting this issue.

Best,

xempew

In Satoshi We Trust.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 11:49:57 AM

Is P3 a power connector on the controller board and could you point an arrow at it in the picture?
xempew (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:52:01 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2013, 11:25:07 PM by xempew

Dear BitSyncom:

As directed, I moved temp3 to P3 and observed the following output in 'CGminer API log' after running for ~8 minutes:

[STATS0] =>
(
   ...<snip>...
   [fan1] => 0
   [fan2] => 720
   [fan3] => 720
   [temp1] => 25
   [temp2] => 50
   [temp3] => 0
   ...<snip>...
)

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance with troubleshooting this issue.

Best,

xempew

See [temp2] above after moving temp3 to P3.

It appears sensor is returning a value when plugged in to P3.

BitSyncom, what can be done to fix this?

Best,

xempew

In Satoshi We Trust.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 12:21:24 AM

Temp3 must have a reading to drive the fan speed up

I'm also interested in setting a fan value fixed at 40-60% through software, regardless of temperature, that will get rid off some sensor related risk

xempew (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:42:34 AM

BitSyncom, given the results posted above after performing the steps as you directed-- it appears there might be a problem with the Control Board.  Would it be possible for me to obtain replacement Control Board?

Thanks.

In Satoshi We Trust.
xiangfu

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 07:16:44 AM

Hi   xempew

I have plan to make change the fan adjust code base on the temp2 and temp3. so should be fixed in software

BitSyncom, given the results posted above after performing the steps as you directed-- it appears there might be a problem with the Control Board.  Would it be possible for me to obtain replacement Control Board?

Thanks.
ewibit
Legendary

Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 10:05:39 AM

[2013-03-18 12:37:02] Avalon: Fan1: 0/m, Fan2: 2280/m, Fan3: 2280/m    Temp1: 22C, Temp2: -1C, Temp3: 45C, TempMAX: 46C
what is a fair value for temp1 and temp3?
(and what max permitted?)
xempew (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:54:59 AM

Update:  Thanks to xiangfu for making the necessary code changes and releasing a new build so quickly.  Fan speed is controlled by max of temp2 and temp3 now. 

This has been fixed as of version 20130408.

In Satoshi We Trust.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: