Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:37:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Unofficial] New Global Moderator Election - [Discussion]  (Read 11210 times)
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2016, 09:37:44 PM

Well, I can only say that this should have been expected

Regarding who is going to join the ranks of global moderators, I don't particularly care as long as persecutions and subsequent bans are not going to be made in public. On the other hand, if banned users should be tagged appropriately (Banned rank or something to that tune) without disclosing full details about who banned whom and for what exactly, the whole process of publicly electing new global moderators doesn't make much sense, and to me, it looks more like farce and mockery

Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2016, 09:39:37 PM

I don't particularly care as long as persecutions and subsequent bans are not going to be made in public.
I don't think they ever will.

...the whole process of publicly electing new global moderators doesn't make much sense, and to me, looks more like farce and mockery
Read the fine print:
Disclaimer
This is not an official election. The winner is not guaranteed to be promoted to Global Moderator, however he/she will be suggested to theymos to be promoted. This is only to determine who the community wants as a Global Moderator. Theymos may choose to promote the winner of this election, he also may not. He may choose to promote no one, he may choose to promote someone else.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2016, 10:00:16 PM

This doesn't seem right at all. Public voting to establish moderation, public voting where everyone's votes are considered equal on a site with an alt to person ratio of probably 3x, AND without the authorisation or blessing of the decision maker.

minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2016, 10:52:00 PM

AND without the authorisation or blessing of the decision maker.
I don't particularly see what's wrong with not having theymos' consent with this. The vote is essentially the same as me making a thread titled 'Who do you think the best moderator is?', only with an actual reason behind it and made by some people of a higher rank than me.
If theymos doesn't approve, he could simply not acknowledge the vote whatsoever and pick (or not pick) based on his own accord. It would be a let down, of course, but the vote will just be used to perhaps help in the decision.

From what I can see theymos is too busy currently to put all of his attention towards the forum and see who is helping the most and would be a best fit for the moderation team. This vote is simply to try and help him out. I don't mean this in a snarky or rude way, but if you have a better idea I'm sure the staff would like to hear it.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2016, 12:28:11 AM

If theymos doesn't approve, he could simply not acknowledge the vote whatsoever and pick (or not pick) based on his own accord. It would be a let down, of course, but the vote will just be used to perhaps help in the decision.

This is the part that worries me because it's creating a default bias that unless Theymos objects that this should go through, which is the opposite order.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3070

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2016, 12:48:02 AM

I'm not voting.  Even though it's not official, it can be used in the future against me to imply bias or favoritism.

I'll support whoever Theymos may (or may not) select.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 12:50:41 AM

I'm not voting.  Even though it's not official, it can be used in the future against me to imply bias or favoritism.

I'll support whoever Theymos may (or may not) select.

Your favourite is clearly theymos... smart one Tongue

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2016, 01:01:33 AM
Last edit: November 20, 2016, 07:24:40 AM by Lauda

This is the part that worries me because it's creating a default bias that unless Theymos objects that this should go through, which is the opposite order.
I actually think quite the opposite as I do not expect theymos to act based on these votes (alone or even just primarily).

I'm not voting.  Even though it's not official, it can be used in the future against me to imply bias or favoritism.
That's a fair point. I think the best that we could do post-election is to *archive* the thread into the trashcan section. However, someone could still archive your vote in the meantime to use it against you at a later date. That said, I wouldn't understand someone using their vote against them (this in particular).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 02:56:52 AM

Are we allowed to comment on the ongoing TCP count and trends in preference flows? Theoretically it's public knowledge, but people may be too lazy to count preferences on their own and could conceivably be influenced if someone does it for them.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2016, 03:02:44 AM

Are we allowed to comment on the ongoing TCP count and trends in preference flows? Theoretically it's public knowledge, but people may be too lazy to count preferences on their own and could conceivably be influenced if someone does it for them.
Sure.

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2016, 03:41:17 AM

@P4man
For what it count, I agree on what you are saying Smiley
I think that paid signature schemes should be banned, and even discovered services doing this on backstage, even them should be banned. (at least for a month)

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
chixka000

Activity: 910
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 03:54:57 AM
Last edit: November 20, 2016, 05:15:26 AM by chixka000

Read the fine print:
Disclaimer
This is not an official election. The winner is not guaranteed to be promoted to Global Moderator, however he/she will be suggested to theymos to be promoted. This is only to determine who the community wants as a Global Moderator. Theymos may choose to promote the winner of this election, he also may not. He may choose to promote no one, he may choose to promote someone else.

Well, that does make more sense.  If Theymos won't promote any of the participants who won the election, I still am pretty sure that he would at least able to consider the needs of a new active mod and find someone else he could.

EDIT: i am trying to think if someone would be promoted to global mods the staff position would be lacking
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 04:00:28 AM

The results so far after preferences:

Two candidate preferred vote:
|
   Lauda (44.1%) ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ (55.9%) Mitchell
|
Lauda: 26
Mitchell: 33
Exhausted: 1

Although the primary votes are nearly evenly split between Lauda and Mitchell, Mitchell edges ahead on strong preferences from achow101's supporters. Dabs' supporters are a bit more evenly split, but still lean towards Mitchell. It's still a tight race with Lauda trailing by just 7 votes in this epic election which may or not end up making any difference whatsoever. Grin

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2016, 04:06:03 AM

|
|

Although the primary votes are nearly evenly split between Lauda and Mitchell, Mitchell edges ahead on strong preferences from achow101's supporters. Dabs' supporters are a bit more evenly split, but still lean towards Mitchell. It's still a tight race with Lauda trailing by just 7 votes in this epic election which may or not end up making any difference whatsoever. Grin
So this is what the results would be after doing the elimination process? What is "Exhausted"?

Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2016, 04:19:22 AM

So this is what the results would be after doing the elimination process? What is "Exhausted"?
I would guess those are valid votes that have neither Lauda nor Mitchell in their 3 picks. So far, there's only 1 of them.

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
██████████████████████████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 04:28:48 AM

So this is what the results would be after doing the elimination process?
Yes.

What is "Exhausted"?
Votes that didn't count because they had no preference for the top candidates (ie, every candidate they did have a preference for was eliminated). This situation is impossible in full preferential voting (where each vote must rank all the candidates) but we didn't do that, so some votes are bound to be "wasted" this way (though not nearly as many as in a FPTP election).

lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 04:46:48 AM

IMO we should be able to vote non-staff members if we wish, because the selection would be too limited if we could not vote them. IIRC the people who are promoted to be a staff is probably from the opinion mainly from the higher position. even this could result in the mass registration of election, at least it could decrease the suspicion of biased nomination.

if we neither could vote for our loyal representative, join the nomination freely, nor if the number of votings could reflect what the majority are expecting for, including the balancing of the minorities, the result could possibly result in staff system disaster.

one more thing, global moderators elected are responsible to the happenings more than what we are required to address, not only monitoring the site.

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
i am not really active for some reason
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 07:07:56 AM

IMO we should be able to vote non-staff members if we wish, because the selection would be too limited if we could not vote them. IIRC the people who are promoted to be a staff is probably from the opinion mainly from the higher position. even this could result in the mass registration of election, at least it could decrease the suspicion of biased nomination.

if we neither could vote for our loyal representative, join the nomination freely, nor if the number of votings could reflect what the majority are expecting for, including the balancing of the minorities, the result could possibly result in staff system disaster.

one more thing, global moderators elected are responsible to the happenings more than what we are required to address, not only monitoring the site.

I understood your first sentence and nothing more.  Huh Huh Huh
This is a vote for global moderators and hence only active staff members have been nominated.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2016, 07:10:06 AM

|
|
Nice visual representation. Thanks! Maybe I should have thought twice before banning so many people from Bitmixer.  Cheesy

I understood your first sentence and nothing more.  Huh Huh Huh
I have the same problem with that post.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 07:17:06 AM

|
|
Nice visual representation. Thanks! Maybe I should have thought twice before banning so many people from Bitmixer.  Cheesy

The votes that you have got could be a result of your action on Bitmixer. Wink  Bitmixer participants have been spamming the hell out of this forum.
That said, people should not be confusing your actions as a campaign manager, with your actions as a staff member.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: