Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:32:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin account grown uncomfortably large? Free Wealth Management offer.  (Read 1335 times)
Chainsaw (OP)

Activity: 625
Merit: 501

x

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 06:10:51 PM

I've been a Bitcoin evangelist and student since the $5 mark. I know the feeling of watching an account you are comfortable managing grow into something that can start causing you to lose sleep.

Suddenly, you realize the buy, sell, or hold decisions you are making will substantially affect your livelihood for years down the road.  But there's not much in the way of alternatives - the market is gonna keep moving. And indecision is still a decision - the worst one!

Some wealth management principles can help here. They'll help you make your short term decisions within the framework of your long term goals.  If you're new to it, figuring out this framework can take years. Years that we, the 'groundfloor Bitcoiners', don't have.

I have the best interest of two awesome groups in mind here:
1) Those early investors, whose shoulders we get to stand on today.
2) The successful future of the Bitcoin currency as a whole.

I'm not sure if there will be any interest in this or not. If you are interested, please use the messaging feature to let me know. Let me know whichever of the following details you care to fill in:

Name
# of bitcoins
% gain to date, from initial buy-in
Current View (buy/sell/hold/undecided)
Long term goal - # of bitcoins
Long term goal - total $
Any other notes
Skype contact (or less preferably, email)

I'll be doing this in my somewhat limited free time. In the event interest outweighs my available time, I'll use the bitcoin balance, plus whatever other notes, as a means to prioritize/rank.  For example, if one of you 10,000+ bitcoin holders are looking for a sounding board, or some guidance...those decisions could dramatically affect not just you, but the Bitcoin community as a whole.

When we connect, I'll let you share whatever relevant financial planning/goal information you care to. Then, we'll talk about some options, and come up with a long term plan together.  With that in place, we'll look at your current bitcoin position, and come up with a plan for any buys or sells you may want to put in place.

Yes, this is really free. Yes, I will accept donations (bitcoin only!). I'm very grateful that Bitcoin has started "giving back".  It's time to pay it forward.  Do remember to request this via the messaging system, and not in replies.

Full disclosure - I am a bitcoin holder (duh), with an evolving but very bullish sentiment at the moment.

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Chainsaw (OP)

x

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 11:34:05 PM

One other thing that might be helpful to include in your original message - if there are any deadlines/time constraints you'll need to be making decisions by.
(Again, this will help in triaging/assigning order to try to make sure everyone gets help before it is too late for it to be of help to them.)

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 12:18:39 PM

Ahahahahahaha.

Full disclosure: you are a confidence man. Get lost.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 01:08:16 PM

It should go without saying that the worst possible thing you could do is engage in "free wealth management" with noobs.
abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:40:29 PM

I've been a Bitcoin evangelist and student since the $5 mark.

Date Registered: March 29, 2013, 02:25:40 PM

LOL!... exactly what I checked too  Wink
deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:52:10 PM

I've been a Bitcoin evangelist and student since the $5 mark.

Date Registered: March 29, 2013, 02:25:40 PM

LOL!... exactly what I checked too  Wink

+1  Scammer

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 07:58:52 PM

Any bitcoin wealth management offer that does not include, and promote as ideal, an option to split your bitcoins into multifactor paper wallets or multifactor storage of some other kind so that the client can choose to "trust in no one", is brazenly negligent.

The only person who should be able to touch properly "managed" funds is either the client themselves, or a combination of the client's attorney and one surviving family member with access to the client's safety deposit box.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Chainsaw (OP)

x

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:47:58 PM

Wow - this didn't go quite as I had planned.  I can understand the healthy skepticism, and I guess I'll have to earn my stripes around here before making such an offer.

My initial interest in bitcoin was as an investment medium. So I've lurked here for awhile, but never had a reason to sign up.  A friend of mine recently made a "Bitcoin Rally Song".  In order to share it with the bitcoin community, I signed up.

To be clear - I wasn't asking for any payment, I don't want any account information, nor do I want to personally be managing any funds.

I'm not a professional in the field - I write software. It just happens that I've traded for 15 years, and have been on the receiving end of wealth management advice.  So maybe I have an idea or three that would help someone who, like me, now has an account whose size makes them uncomfortable...and maybe they've never even heard of a concept like dollar-cost averaging.

All I was offering was to be a sounding board to anyone looking for some broad-level strategizing. I imagine there are some people out there hemming and hawing about some pretty impactful decisions, and maybe they don't have someone to bounce some ideas off of.

I get the skepticism.  I'll chalk it up to poor wording on my part, alongside a poor introductory step. Regardless, I look forward to getting to know the rest of you around here over the coming months.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 09:27:25 AM

Name b!z
# of bitcoins 1
Current View (buy/sell/hold/undecided) hold
Long term goal - # of bitcoins 1
Long term goal - total $ $1000000
Any other notes Please make this happen.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 01:16:16 PM

Wow - this didn't go quite as I had planned.  I can understand the healthy skepticism, and I guess I'll have to earn my stripes around here before making such an offer.

My initial interest in bitcoin was as an investment medium. So I've lurked here for awhile, but never had a reason to sign up.  A friend of mine recently made a "Bitcoin Rally Song".  In order to share it with the bitcoin community, I signed up.

To be clear - I wasn't asking for any payment, I don't want any account information, nor do I want to personally be managing any funds.

I'm not a professional in the field - I write software. It just happens that I've traded for 15 years, and have been on the receiving end of wealth management advice.  So maybe I have an idea or three that would help someone who, like me, now has an account whose size makes them uncomfortable...and maybe they've never even heard of a concept like dollar-cost averaging.

All I was offering was to be a sounding board to anyone looking for some broad-level strategizing. I imagine there are some people out there hemming and hawing about some pretty impactful decisions, and maybe they don't have someone to bounce some ideas off of.

I get the skepticism.  I'll chalk it up to poor wording on my part, alongside a poor introductory step. Regardless, I look forward to getting to know the rest of you around here over the coming months.

This sounds saner.

See here, it may help.

Might also be worth your time to visit bitcoin-assets on Freenode, since that's where BTC finance happens.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 03:39:47 AM

Do you personally sell precious metals?

Chainsaw (OP)

x

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 04:02:22 AM

I don't.

interfect

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 05:42:01 AM

I'll bite. I don't see how I can lose money from this.

Name
Interfect
# of bitcoins
5.36 BTC in my wallet, 0.02 BTC "cash" and 0.85 BTC so-called stocks on Bitfunder. Also 118k XRP.
% gain to date, from initial buy-in
I never bought any, my 5 BTC or so were supposed to be a bit of small change left over from when I stopped GPU mining (plus some dividends from something I bought on GLBSE before it died). So I guess my % gain to date is infinity.
Current View (buy/sell/hold/undecided)
My current view can best be described as "holy fuck my pocket change is now worth over $1,000 and people are calling me demanding to buy it through LocalBitcoins despite the absurldy high prices I listed, what do I do?"
Long term goal - # of bitcoins
More than 5? I kind of want to start a Bitcoin business (yes, I have read the thread on lnot doing that), so that would make it more. As it is I'm trying to sell my tiny Python game on http://sphericalsky.com, but nobody wants to buy it. Ideally I would like to invest my BTC in something with greater than 0 interest and very low default/actually-a-scam/closed-down-by-the-FTC risk. Obviously there are few actual economic activities that can match Bitcoin's current growth rate, which makes investing BTC very difficult (and debts denominated in BTC a bad idea to take on).
Long term goal - total $
All of them?
Any other notes
What can I do to stop someone trying to break into my house and steal my Bitcoins? I already have my wallet encrypted and backed up. I can handle having about $1k in drug dealers' favorite kind of untraceable digital cash sitting around in my house, but much more than that is going to become problematic.
Skype contact (or less preferably, email)
Just respond in-thread or PM me here.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 12:27:31 PM

What can I do to stop someone trying to break into my house and steal my Bitcoins? I already have my wallet encrypted and backed up. I can handle having about $1k in drug dealers' favorite kind of untraceable digital cash sitting around in my house, but much more than that is going to become problematic.

Are your bitcoins a rainy day fund and you can afford to not be able to access them in less than a day or several days?

Open two safety deposit boxes in bank branches in two remote cities, hopefully at a bank you already bank at (so you can easily keep up with the maintenance charges from home).  Do this some time when you are traveling.  Make it so someone trying to coerce you into giving them your bitcoins will have no chance of getting them without forcing you to get on an airplane or drive for days in possession of the keys.

Create password protected paper wallets, maybe a dozen of them.  Put a copy of all the wallets in each safety deposit box.  Keep a copy of the bitcoin addresses so you can send the funds.

Give the password to your attorney and/or accountant.  Or give half the password to each.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: