Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 09:32:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I sold all my bitcoins before the massive price jump.  (Read 3619 times)
BurntSnow (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

GET IN - Smart Ticket Protocol - Live in market!

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 08:05:58 PM

I hate my life.

████
             ███  ███
           ████     ███
         ███  ███    ███
       ████     ███    ███
     ███  ███     ███    ███
   ████     ███     ███   ██
 ███  ███     █████████████████
███     ███     ███           ██
 ███      ███     ██          ██
   ███      ██████████      ███
     ███      ██████      ███
       ███      ██      ███
         ███          ███
           ███      ███
             ███  ███
               ████

GUTS
    ███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

smart-ticket protocol for events
live product with market traction!
    ███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

BTC ANN
  WEBSITE
  BLOG

SANDBOX
  WHITEPAPER
  BOUNTY

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 08:09:18 PM

Buy back in and ride to $1000 Tongue

BurntSnow (OP)

Activity: 462

GET IN - Smart Ticket Protocol - Live in market!

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 08:16:02 PM

The price is pretty high right now. How am I supposed to know it's not just a bubble?

████
             ███  ███
           ████     ███
         ███  ███    ███
       ████     ███    ███
     ███  ███     ███    ███
   ████     ███     ███   ██
 ███  ███     █████████████████
███     ███     ███           ██
 ███      ███     ██          ██
   ███      ██████████      ███
     ███      ██████      ███
       ███      ██      ███
         ███          ███
           ███      ███
             ███  ███
               ████

GUTS
    ███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

smart-ticket protocol for events
live product with market traction!
    ███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

BTC ANN
  WEBSITE
  BLOG

SANDBOX
  WHITEPAPER
  BOUNTY

maxmint

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 08:30:12 PM

The price is pretty high right now. How am I supposed to know it's not just a bubble?

You can't know and nobody knows. But do you wanna post "I did not buy before the massive price jump" when we hit $1000?

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint
glitch003

Activity: 219
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 09:55:12 PM

It's a risk you take.  If someone offered you 1000% return on a coin flip, but if you lose the flip you lose your investment, would you take it?  You control how much you want to risk, it could be as little as buying $20 of BTC or $1000, it's up to you.  But you might as well get in on the game, even if it's just a little bit.

If you lose the investment, well at least you had fun and learned something Smiley
eric7

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 09:56:20 PM

How were you supposed to know to hold on to your Bitcoins last time? Become more educated this time around, but I think there's always a high amount of pure luck (being in the right place at the right time) when it comes to speculation. Good luck!
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 09:56:46 PM

For 20 BTC, I'll tell you if its a bubble or not.

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:26:27 PM

I hate my life.

may I ask: why did you sell all of them?

I admit to having sold some just 2 days ago. More than I ever sold, maybe about 5% of my stash.

And even that will probably make me feel bad on wednesday.

I take it you viewed bitcoin as "a way to make money"? Well, you did make money, didn't you? And that's what you wanted to achieve. So why do you feel like shit now?

Imagine it goes up further... if you get back in, you've only missed a little bit of the runup. If you don't and it goes up to 1 gold bar, you'll probably hate yourself even more.

When making a decision (like should I sell or should I buy) while you are missing some information (like: is bitcoin going to go up or down) there is an easy way to come to help come to a solution:

Imagine each of the 4 possible scenarios and evaluate how bad/good the result would make you feel:

(replace either buy or sell with "do nothing" depending on your situation)

• 1.) you buy, bitcoin down
  • 2.) you buy, bitcoin up
  • 3.) you sell, bitcoin down
  • 4.) you sell, bitcoin up

The evaluation depends a little bit on your preferences. I, for one, want to avoid feeling really really bad, so I try to avoid option 4.) because selling bitcoin and seeing it go up when you believe in it would be just gut-wrenching.

Option 1.) would also make me feel bad, but clearly not as bad as 4.). I have long regained the fiat I put into bitcoin (way too early, btw) so I could tell myself: "nice try, too bad it didn't work, let's try the next thing" in case of a Bitcoin failure (yea right!). 1.) would mainly make me feel bad because all my friends and familiy who have been repeatedly and strongly suggesting to me to "sell all my stash" would then tell me: "see, I told you so, why didn't you sell, you idiot, you could've had this much fiat, now you have nothing".

Also on the good side: 2.) would make me feel better than 3.). So I'm clearly biased towards 1/2 (buy) and that's what I mainly did (hold 95%)

Well anyhow, maybe this helps someone making decisions without having sufficient information.

You have to live with the consequences of your actions, so why not do some simulations in your head of the different possible outcomes.

And yet another very good advice by lucif: If you're emotional and you're lacking coordinates, DON'T DO ANYTHING. Go walk the street, sleep or whatever until you have a clear view. Then make a new plan.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 10:27:56 PM

I hate my life.

Be the man. Enjoy1  Cheesy

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:38:56 PM

I predict Bitcoin or its alternatives will take over the world as the #1 currency of choice.  Therefor, mass adoption will ensue, and the price for a single Bitcoin will rise to high enough levels to feed and clothe you for the rest of your life--that is, if Bitcoin remains the king of crypto-currencies.

So if you think this is a bubble, just wait ten years from now, and saying to yourself, "We thought that was a bubble?!"

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:49:25 PM

I predict Bitcoin or its alternatives will take over the world as the #1 currency of choice.  Therefor, mass adoption will ensue, and the price for a single Bitcoin will rise to high enough levels to feed and clothe you for the rest of your life--that is, if Bitcoin remains the king of crypto-currencies.

So if you think this is a bubble, just wait ten years from now, and saying to yourself, "We thought that was a bubble?!"

exactly. The first "bubble" isn't even visible on the all-time chart any more. Here's a zoom-in to the old times (I wasn't around):

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Amitabh S
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 11:01:36 PM

There is still hope! Start collecting Litecoins.

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
BitcoinFX
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720

https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 11:08:37 PM

There is still hope! Start collecting Litecoins.

How many coins did you sell ?

Take solace in my story: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=169140.0  Shocked

Remember: "Money is only really money, when its moving!"  Roll Eyes

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 11:10:46 PM

Buy and hold.

Amitabh S
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 11:17:17 PM

To the OP. Although it may seem strange at the moment, you will be happier later on knowing that you supported the Bitcoin economy.

Kazu

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:42:45 AM

I hate my life.
Then buy the same amount of Bitcoins you had before, and know that you only lost out on ~$130 of the price jump, and got in on the other $880. Which is a lot better than most people will do.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
notig

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:39:26 AM

One strategy I think is good........ invest half of what you might invest into bitcoins. If the price drops and it is a bubble then invest the other half. If it can go to this high of a price once it can again. If it doesn't drop but just keeps going up you also win.
wingding

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 06:40:50 PM

To the OP. Although it may seem strange at the moment, you will be happier later on knowing that you supported the Bitcoin economy.

Jesus Christ! So the 'bitcoin' economy is supposed to be a 'good cause' of some kind? Get a real religion! The only ones supported here are they who made all the coins when they were easy to produce.
Si Robertson

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 06:46:12 PM

Need a gun?
wingding

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 06:50:39 PM

Need a gun?