Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:53:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Terracoin is ALLIIIIIVEEEE  (Read 22744 times)
hiddenvalleyranch

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 06:57:51 PM

with current net hashrate, it will take quite some time to get to next big diff adjustment & get a usable coin back (18 blocks remaining?)  Sad

It took about 12hrs for my transaction to go through, but it did go through.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 07:00:44 PM

with current net hashrate, it will take quite some time to get to next big diff adjustment & get a usable coin back (18 blocks remaining?)  Sad

Same for me, tried to get them to BTC-E and after 12 hours finally it's confirmed.
celkaris

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:09:29 PM

if only half of the TRC traders were effectively mining it Smiley we probably never ran into those hashrate/diff problems Smiley
hiddenvalleyranch

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:10:11 PM

Same for me, tried to get them to BTC-E and after 12 hours finally it's confirmed.

And after the price drops about 25% Sad. Still made a handsome profit though.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:19:16 PM

I ended up selling it, the price is pretty high now and with the instability I don't see how it will last. I will just keep BTC right now and maybe consider getting back into TRC once all these problems go away.

Ah, but the speculative profit potential is linked to the inherent risk, no?

more or less retired.
hiddenvalleyranch

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 08:34:05 PM

I ended up selling it, the price is pretty high now and with the instability I don't see how it will last. I will just keep BTC right now and maybe consider getting back into TRC once all these problems go away.

Ah, but the speculative profit potential is linked to the inherent risk, no?

Too much risk for me.
BeeCee1

Activity: 115

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 08:37:36 PM

quote from terracoin-announce ml :

Subject:     [Terracoin-announce] build 0.1.3-29 available

This update will bring back a shorter period used in difficulty
computation, until a better algorithm is implemented, making the network
resilient to the huge hashrate spikes we recently saw.

So this means that there is going to be another mandatory update sometime in the near future with yet another difficulty adjustment algorithm?
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:10:07 PM

quote from terracoin-announce ml :

Subject:     [Terracoin-announce] build 0.1.3-29 available

This update will bring back a shorter period used in difficulty
computation, until a better algorithm is implemented, making the network
resilient to the huge hashrate spikes we recently saw.

So this means that there is going to be another mandatory update sometime in the near future with yet another difficulty adjustment algorithm?

Yeah but there would have been another update when bitcoin gets updated anyway, so relax. Bitcoin isn't even 1.0 version yet. It's annoying, yes, no doubt, but it's a work in progress.

more or less retired.
Arbitrageur

Activity: 556
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:27:32 PM

come find new blocks... I've been stuck since 7 hours waiting for confirmations
BeeCee1

Activity: 115

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:28:32 PM

While i do support terracoin i think the issue of someone poining asics at the network and thrus forcing up the difficulty of a reletively new coin shows a major flaw in most alt-coin designs - using the same algorythm as bitcoin, imho any alt coin that wants to stand the test of time and actually be taken seriously is going to need a difference algo - take litecoin as the perfect example, different algo and it's followed the same mining evolution as bitcoin.

I agree.  History has now shown that starting an alt coin that uses the same hashing algorithm as an existing, strong, coin is a bad choice.  We now have had several examples of this.

The first was Namecoin, where the difficulty went way up then mining power left and it was stuck for several months at super-high difficulty.

The next was CoildCoin (CLC).  It had merged-mining right from the start in an attempt to have a higher hashrate. However, Luke-Jr (who controled the Elgius pool at the time) set the pool to merge-mine it and not allow anyone elses blocks or allow any transactions in his blocks.  Since Elgius had a much higher hashrate then the rest of the network, he was successful and the network stalled.

For Terracoin (TRC) a single person with a bitcoin ASIC starts mining and causes the difficulty to fluctuate wildly (first difficulty calculation method) or causes it to go up and stay up (second difficulty calculation method).  That person had over 50% of the hashpower and could have done much more damage (and still can if they want to).  They could mine their blocks exclusively, ignoreing any blocks found by anyone else, thus getting all the block rewards, excluding others transactions, and doing double spends at will.

re-using the same hashing algorithm sounds like a good idea, it takes less effort, you don't have to worry about introducing new bugs, and you can take advantage of all the optimized software/hardware to get your hashrate up.  However, an attacker has access to the same software/hardware that you do, may already have a lot of it, and, often has a vested interest in a different coin succeeding so have a reason to use those resources to attack a new chain.

This is certainly true for sha256 and is mostly likely true for scrypt now (if not, certainly when scrypt fpga's come out it will by).
VforVictory

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

V for Victory or Rather JustV8

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:35:08 PM

While i do support terracoin i think the issue of someone poining asics at the network and thrus forcing up the difficulty of a reletively new coin shows a major flaw in most alt-coin designs - using the same algorythm as bitcoin, imho any alt coin that wants to stand the test of time and actually be taken seriously is going to need a difference algo - take litecoin as the perfect example, different algo and it's followed the same mining evolution as bitcoin.

I agree.  History has now shown that starting an alt coin that uses the same hashing algorithm as an existing, strong, coin is a bad choice.  We now have had several examples of this.

The first was Namecoin, where the difficulty went way up then mining power left and it was stuck for several months at super-high difficulty.

The next was CoildCoin (CLC).  It had merged-mining right from the start in an attempt to have a higher hashrate. However, Luke-Jr (who controled the Elgius pool at the time) set the pool to merge-mine it and not allow anyone elses blocks or allow any transactions in his blocks.  Since Elgius had a much higher hashrate then the rest of the network, he was successful and the network stalled.

For Terracoin (TRC) a single person with a bitcoin ASIC starts mining and causes the difficulty to fluctuate wildly (first difficulty calculation method) or causes it to go up and stay up (second difficulty calculation method).  That person had over 50% of the hashpower and could have done much more damage (and still can if they want to).  They could mine their blocks exclusively, ignoreing any blocks found by anyone else, thus getting all the block rewards, excluding others transactions, and doing double spends at will.

re-using the same hashing algorithm sounds like a good idea, it takes less effort, you don't have to worry about introducing new bugs, and you can take advantage of all the optimized software/hardware to get your hashrate up.  However, an attacker has access to the same software/hardware that you do, may already have a lot of it, and, often has a vested interest in a different coin succeeding so have a reason to use those resources to attack a new chain.

This is certainly true for sha256 and is mostly likely true for scrypt now (if not, certainly when scrypt fpga's come out it will by).

Not quite true for Scypt, or NovaCoin would be dead.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:44:41 PM

the problem isn't the algo, sha256 or Scrypt, the problem in this case is figuring out how to start a new coin in a 'coin aware' environment. Bitcoin started before anyone understood it, Litecoin in a sense too entered into a much quieter crypto market. Enterning now takes a heck of a lot more. Give it time. These things work themselves out.

more or less retired.
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1031

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 11:29:42 PM

So I'm clear can someone explain the TRC "ASIC incident" to which so many of you refer.

Thanks,
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1042

👻

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 11:37:15 PM

TF:  Difficulty is a value in the blocks themselves, only a new block and set the difficulty for the next block.  By definition nothing in the block-chain can change without a block being made.  The only way to do what your describing would be to patch the client to make it intentionally over-ride the block-chain and accept that over-ride as valid.

ah. Okay. Other suggestions? Besides BFL shipping ASICS and me finally getting one?
No, testnet does it already, it just assumes the difficulty is 1 if there has being no new blocks found in the past 24 hours or so (iirc)
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 01:25:36 AM

Can someone (or a lot of people) please mine TRC I've had a deposit into BTC-e hung up on 4 confirms for 10 hours...
VforVictory

Activity: 280

V for Victory or Rather JustV8

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 01:34:21 AM

Can someone (or a lot of people) please mine TRC I've had a deposit into BTC-e hung up on 4 confirms for 10 hours...

Considering the rounds are taking seven+ hours to complete, yeah... I don't think anyone will see TRC soon.
psybits
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 01:37:11 AM

Considering the rounds are taking seven+ hours to complete, yeah... I don't think anyone will see TRC soon.

I'm over it
Peleus

Activity: 112
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 01:43:24 AM

the problem isn't the algo, sha256 or Scrypt, the problem in this case is figuring out how to start a new coin in a 'coin aware' environment. Bitcoin started before anyone understood it, Litecoin in a sense too entered into a much quieter crypto market. Enterning now takes a heck of a lot more. Give it time. These things work themselves out.

Keep in mind I mean this respectfully since obviously you've done more then 99.999% of people here for crypto currency, regardless if I disagree.

The problem is definitely the algo. I know you eventually want ASIC's but you need to build up the network hash rate to a point where it doesn't massively change it. That's why CPU > GPU > FPGA > ASIC works well as it's a gradual increase. It's also the natural progression of $ investment. I assure you, you can use the most obscure algorithm and people will build ASICs for it once the dollar value makes sense for doing so. The thing is - this will only occur when the network and corresponding hashrate is sufficiently mature.  Jumping on the SHA256 bandwagon means that more cost effective powerful technologies (ASICs) can dump on your chain whenever it's profitable killing you because you haven't had time to mature the coin yet.

Secondly, you shouldn't be counting on the same algo as a method of enticing people into your coin, simply because it's a 'coin aware' environment. You should be focusing on some actual significant differences in the coin, with better features etc. If there is no difference between say BTC and altcoinX why the hell should there be another one? It just dilutes the cryptocoin market for no gain. If your coin is actually superior, with better features, people will come regardless of the algorithm. There is zero reason to use SHA256.
psybits
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:20:31 AM

Everyone mine TRC!

It is on BTC-e now and has a good exchange rate - and is normally a lightning fast coin!
BitzMD

Activity: 421

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 02:26:29 AM

So in summary what is the consensus, will the stalled coins be confirmed anytime soon?

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: