Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:37:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible anomaly with the recent $0.50 peak  (Read 3897 times)
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 16, 2010, 09:03:33 PM

At the moment, bitcoin prices are not governed by free market, but by large speculators.

Speculators always need to sell eventually, which guarantees the "little guy" a chance to buy in.

Yeah, but that time is not the case at the moment.
We need the "little guys" to come in and buy out enough of bitcoins - only then the extremely large scale speculation will decrease and prices will stabilize.

But i guess that's completely natural with every rising market/currency.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2010, 05:55:00 AM

At the moment, bitcoin prices are not governed by free market, but by large speculators.

Speculators always need to sell eventually, which guarantees the "little guy" a chance to buy in.

Yeah, but that time is not the case at the moment.
We need the "little guys" to come in and buy out enough of bitcoins - only then the extremely large scale speculation will decrease and prices will stabilize.

But i guess that's completely natural with every rising market/currency.

This is silly. "Extremely large scale speculation"? How am I not seeing the billions of dollars of BTC derivatives?

People are buying however many bitcoins they want at the price they find, you think there should be more "little people"? So, what. I think there should be more Jews and midgets.

It's strange to have a problem with someone thinking bitcoin is going to be huge and puts their money on it. Anyone buying is "speculating" that it will work out well for them.

Don't hold your breath for 'stable' BTC/USD either. It probably won't be stable until you can't get 1BTC with all the worthless dollars ever printed.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 17, 2010, 08:58:13 AM

This is silly. "Extremely large scale speculation"? How am I not seeing the billions of dollars of BTC derivatives?

Wait, i meant "extremely large" on bitcoin scale, not on world scale. This is relative.

It's strange to have a problem with someone thinking bitcoin is going to be huge and puts their money on it. Anyone buying is "speculating" that it will work out well for them.

Actually, by "speculation" i mean repeatedly buying and selling large amounts of bitcoins in a short amount of time.

Don't hold your breath for 'stable' BTC/USD either. It probably won't be stable until you can't get 1BTC with all the worthless dollars ever printed.

Agreed here.

Anonymous

November 17, 2010, 09:41:57 AM

I find it refreshing to know the correct market signals are coming through and letting people know exactly what they need to do.  I am coming to trust the fact that no matter how big a drop in bitcoin the market ensures someone will step in and buy or sell.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2010, 06:52:46 PM

Wait, i meant "extremely large" on bitcoin scale, not on world scale. This is relative.

Actually, by "speculation" i mean repeatedly buying and selling large amounts of bitcoins in a short amount of time.

Agreed here.

Okay, I was a little over the top.

If you go to the market and buy a bunch you push the price up for yourself, and then when you sell them you push the price down and you lose money.

If anyone is doing this then they are just giving money away, which is fine.

What is actually happening is that people "make the market" by offering some for sale and offering to buy some. If they offer the best deals on both sides and other people take those deals then they make money. They are getting paid for offering the 'service' of a lower spread.

And this decreases volatility compared to what it would be otherwise. I realize it doesn't look this way. When ever the prices move a lot it is true that speculators trade a lot, but the price would have moved more if market makers did not have those offers out there.

Do a little thought experiment. Look at the order book and imagine what would happen if 20k worth of market orders for coins suddenly came in, how high would the price go? Now remove from the order book which ever asks you consider to be "speculative", how much does the price move now?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
manole91

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 01:03:41 PM

so funny to read this discussion in June  Grin
juilla

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 03:32:31 PM

so funny to read this discussion in June  Grin