Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:09:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's say the US dollar collapses...  (Read 1689 times)
Immanuel (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2010, 05:25:05 PM

They audit the Federal Reserve and there's no gold but the fillings in the guard's teeth. The US dollar suffers dramatically. What implications would it have on Bitcoin?

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
November 08, 2010, 05:40:54 PM

As the US dollar in your pocket is not currently backed by gold, I don't think the effects would be so dramatic.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2010, 05:46:33 PM

As the US dollar in your pocket is not currently backed by gold, I don't think the effects would be so dramatic.

Yeah, no matter how much gold they have or don't have you aren't getting your hands on it.

The dollar is going down, not for lack of gold, but for a flood of dollars.

The dollars/BTC will get obscenely large, but so will dollars/Cheerio.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Bitquux

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2010, 05:49:21 PM

This is why I keep stocking up on Cheerios. Unfortunately, just like dollars, the kids eat them as fast as I can acquire them.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2010, 05:50:33 PM

This is why I keep stocking up on Cheerios. Unfortunately, just like dollars, the kids eat them as fast as I can acquire them.

Lol

People always say "You can't eat gold" like it's a bad thing, maybe it's not.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
November 08, 2010, 06:04:07 PM

People always say "You can't eat gold"
Sure you can eat gold, it's just too expensive for most people.
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2010, 06:10:03 PM

Oh great, now I'm going to have to pan for gold in the sewer system.

In any event, I don't think the USD is going to collapse any time shortly.  They aren't printing it fast enough to keep up with the crash in privately-issued credit, are they?
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 08, 2010, 06:10:57 PM

Also, You can drink gold as well, if you care/can afford it:
http://www.daylife.com/photo/0deIenr5yA0Zc?q=Dubai
http://nfl.msg.com/photo/0fgz4pV9Mad2M?q=Dubai
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/photo/06MB6Gg2EBdFy?q=GOLD

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 08, 2010, 06:13:05 PM

Oh great, now I'm going to have to pan for gold in the sewer system.

In any event, I don't think the USD is going to collapse any time shortly.  They aren't printing it fast enough to keep up with the crash in privately-issued credit, are they?

Actually, dollar haven't already collapsed because of just one reason: All oil can be only bought for dollars, so every country in the world has to keep some dollars reserves to buy oil.
USA are taxing entire world using inflating dollar this way (but that's another story).

The lower dollar goes, the more taxed rest (non-US) of the world is.

EDIT:
Saddam Hussein wanting to sell oil for EURO instead of dollar is probably the sole reason for Iraq war. Now guess what: Iran wants to sell oil for euro. USA starts talking about war....

SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
November 08, 2010, 07:52:23 PM
Last edit: November 08, 2010, 08:16:18 PM by SmokeTooMuch

Saddam Hussein wanting to sell oil for EURO instead of dollar is probably the sole reason for Iraq war. Now guess what: Iran wants to sell oil for euro. USA starts talking about war....
That sounds very interesting. Any internet sources for that (Hussein and Ahmadinedschad) ?

EDIT: forget that, google is my friend Tongue

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 08, 2010, 08:17:45 PM

That sounds very interesting. Any internet sources for that (Hussein and Ahmadinedschad) ?

Hundreds, probably.  Where have you been the past 8 years, in a cave watching only Fox News.

Hell, I'm pretty sure that Hussein's threat to stop taking $ and accept Euros instead was even covered by Fox.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
November 08, 2010, 10:11:16 PM

Well I live in Germany, and I was only 13 when Iraq-War began, so I guess I'm excused Wink
Only heard things about WOMD and oil back then, nothing about the EURO.

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 09, 2010, 12:15:11 AM

Well I live in Germany, and I was only 13 when Iraq-War began, so I guess I'm excused Wink
Only heard things about WOMD and oil back then, nothing about the EURO.

Fair enough.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: