Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:27:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Segwit Affect on Mining? - Sorry if this has been asked before but...  (Read 2245 times)
Donho84 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2016, 06:29:44 PM

Is segregated witness going to affect mining and if so, how?
I'm in a pool on Genesis and am trying to decide if I should increase my hash power or, if it is getting too expensive to be profitable?
Thanks in advance for all your answers. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2016, 08:41:10 PM

Mining pools need to update their configuration and software to work in concert with segwit, otherwise they're unable to support it. Actual miners with hardware it makes no difference to them as all the work is done at the pool level, unless you're one of the rare few who wish to mine solo for yourself, in which case the onus falls on the miner to do what the pool would otherwise do for them.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Donho84 (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2016, 02:21:01 AM

Thanks!
Eric Mu

Activity: 471
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2016, 03:31:35 PM

Is segregated witness going to affect mining and if so, how?
I'm in a pool on Genesis and am trying to decide if I should increase my hash power or, if it is getting too expensive to be profitable?
Thanks in advance for all your answers.  

I think Luke Dash Jr. a Core dev threatened to switch SHA256 if large miners block adoption of sigwit. So if Core doesn't get their way, your miners can potentially turn into junk if the dev meant business.
Donho84 (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2016, 07:27:07 PM

Eric - That is interesting.  Where can I track that conversation?  Thanks!
Eric Mu

View Profile
December 03, 2016, 12:05:46 AM

Eric - That is interesting.  Where can I track that conversation?  Thanks!

Can't find the original, but it was widely discussed:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bitcoin_uncensored/comments/42l6fi/anyone_know_why_they_are_considering_changing_the/
RocketSingh
Legendary

Activity: 1662
Merit: 1050

View Profile
December 03, 2016, 12:32:18 AM

Eric - That is interesting.  Where can I track that conversation?  Thanks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/bitcoin_uncensored/comments/42l6fi/anyone_know_why_they_are_considering_changing_the/

If I am not wrong, Luke suggested it in response to the 2mb HF. He said, if we are hard forking for block size, then at the same time, we should also change the mining algorithm to beat mining centralization due to ASIC. He probably never suggested it to cut-off miners against Segwit.

In fact, Luke recently said Miners SHOULD NOT signal segwit if the community is not in widespread agreement that it is a good idea.

Eric Mu

View Profile
December 03, 2016, 01:54:49 AM

If I am not wrong, Luke suggested it in response to the 2mb HF. He said, if we are hard forking for block size, then at the same time, we should also change the mining algorithm to beat mining centralization due to ASIC. He probably never suggested it to cut-off miners against Segwit.

In fact, Luke recently said Miners SHOULD NOT signal segwit if the community is not in widespread agreement that it is a good idea.

I think Luke more than suggested it, he actually inserted a piece of code into the Core library that capable of turning the miners into bricks. Yes, it may not be segwit-specific, but segwit is one of the main arsenals against onchain blocksize increase.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
December 03, 2016, 04:05:41 AM

I think Luke more than suggested it, he actually inserted a piece of code into the Core library that capable of turning the miners into bricks. Yes, it may not be segwit-specific, but segwit is one of the main arsenals against onchain blocksize increase.
Remember you are talking about someone who has a few screws loose, don't take too much notice of him.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Donho84 (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2016, 02:51:53 AM

Kano - Who are you referring to?  For my clarification.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
December 04, 2016, 06:02:10 AM

SegWit should in theory allow for the miners to collect more transaction fees because more transactions can be included in each block.  

One might think this would be a no brainer for miners to accept however down the line, SegWit will probably result in LN taking a large percentage of transaction fees via off chain LN transactions.

The miners will also receive a higher amount of transaction fees with a larger maximum block size without the risk of LN taking TX fees down the line.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
December 04, 2016, 10:40:43 AM

Isn't it up to the miners to decide if they want to change the algo? If they can decide to change it why would they do it since it would hurt their profits?

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
December 04, 2016, 02:59:41 PM

Kano - Who are you referring to?  For my clarification.
The guy with the L name.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
VentMine

Activity: 236
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 04, 2016, 07:52:59 PM

So for the lightning network enabled by Segwit, who get's the transaction fees processed by the lightning network? Does it just roll up into the main blockchain and therefore go to the miners?

Thx

1ESSdoVYKm8sNtYMfdkFBajhAe2e6G8keH
Donho84 (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2016, 03:38:00 AM

Kano - TY
pineapples
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

to your stations, man the pineapples!!!

View Profile
December 19, 2016, 03:09:18 AM

given the amount of asics currently mining,
would it be possible to change the algo without those miners refusing to allow it?

YEEE F*#KIN HA BIG RED TEXT !!!           

(\__/)    
(='.'=)   
(")_(")   

BUMBA
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2016, 04:41:01 AM

would it be possible to change the algo without those miners refusing to allow it?
That would just create an insignificant small fork with the new algo while the main blockchain remained on the standard algorithm. Realistically it would be impossible to get a consensus that would make the existing miners abandon their algorithm.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
pineapples
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

to your stations, man the pineapples!!!

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 03:37:35 AM

That would just create an insignificant small fork with the new algo while the main blockchain remained on the standard algorithm. Realistically it would be impossible to get a consensus that would make the existing miners abandon their algorithm.

seems like a pipe dream then :p

it's quite interesting the way BTC Core manages many forks, with the hard coded conditions that once a certain % of miners are on that code the fork takes place,
obviously they could do the same for an algo shift, but i cant see all those farms switching over Smiley

YEEE F*#KIN HA BIG RED TEXT !!!           

(\__/)    
(='.'=)   
(")_(")   

BUMBA
Donho84 (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 12:19:16 AM

So what is the general consensus now regarding segwit?  Is it happening or DOA?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: