Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:31:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tool junkies - I need advice working with Aluminum angles: Cutting & Drilling:)  (Read 5018 times)
Minlukaz (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 09:41:39 AM

Greetings and salutations!

* I am finally attempting to open airflow. Yay! Smiley
* I need to build the equivalent of this in order to accomplish what I am looking for:

https://i.imgur.com/JhTH0XJ.jpg
Whosever rig this is, thank you for the idea.

The tools & materials needed for this project are:

* Aluminum angles [Lowes/HomeDepot]
* Screws/nuts bolts [Lowes/HomeDepot]
* Help from this forum with advice

My situation:

* I live in a tiny apartment. A workbench and own drill press is not possible.
* I don't have access to a garage, nor do I know anyone with a drill press.
* This is short term and don't want to purchase anything huge or major. It needs to be compact.
* Different motherboards are different sizes with different card placement allotments
* I'm in the US, so preferably something I can purchase online or locally

What I need advice on:

apartmently (ah - par - men - t - lee) - small and safe that doesn't take up a lot of room for those who live in apartments. very space conservative. no access to a garage or workbench.

* How can I "apartmently" and safely cut the aluminum? As well as drilling holes?
* What tools would I need to cut and drill holes through the aluminum angles?
* Can I use a dremel tool (tiny, and portable) to get the job done? This would include cutting the aluminum, and drilling the necessary holes in it.
* I will wear safety goggles. Yes.

Looking for your input - thank you in advance Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Minlukaz (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 09:45:07 AM

This is great. Thank you for your input. How about cutting the aluminum? Will a dremel work for that? Lastly, do I need any type of oil for the drill to make nice holes?  

As an edit: Doesn't seem like they have this in the US.. will need to look further.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 01:14:12 PM

For making a simple open air frame like this you really do not need much.

I used to be a an apartment tinkerer before I got a garage so I know what you are going through. Grin

For this setup I would suggest: holes - hand drill - if you have a harbor freight near you the 19v cordless works a treat.
                                          work holding - a free standing or table vice is a must lowes/hd/harbor freight
                                          cutting - hack saw with fine toothed blades - can be found lowes/HD
                                          joining - bolts/nuts or better yet if the angle iron is not to thick go with pop rivets as they are much cleaner and cheaper.

That should be it for the basics. Let us know how you get on. Good luck and have fun.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
BBQKorv

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:30:41 PM

For making a simple open air frame like this you really do not need much.

I used to be a an apartment tinkerer before I got a garage so I know what you are going through. Grin

For this setup I would suggest: holes - hand drill - if you have a harbor freight near you the 19v cordless works a treat.
                                          work holding - a free standing or table vice is a must lowes/hd/harbor freight
                                          cutting - hack saw with fine toothed blades - can be found lowes/HD
                                          joining - bolts/nuts or better yet if the angle iron is not to thick go with pop rivets as they are much cleaner and cheaper.

That should be it for the basics. Let us know how you get on. Good luck and have fun.

+1

There is absolutely no need for a drill press with aluminium, that stuff is so soft and easy. I often use cordless hand drill with stainless steel (if your not familiar drilling it, its a pain) and all that needs is little oil and high quality twist drill bits.

For added precision I would say get a center punch to mark the holes and to avoid the drill wandering off the mark when you start drilling.

Hacksaw will do these little projects very well with a vise.
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 06:08:42 PM

Keep it simple, I always say Smiley
60 minutes of work, materials laying around already.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: