Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:28:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: those who are buying know something I don't  (Read 6601 times)
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:51:44 PM

Not necessarily. Look into the user base growth and it partially explains this. The rest is all the greater fool theory and the bubble mentality.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BlackBison

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:52:52 PM

Why should anyone consider log-scale the proper scale?

Because its the proper scale for these things. Ask your math teacher tomorrow in school.

Ok, still looks like a bubble in log-scale.

If I were you i'd prefer the log scale. That way you look 'less wrong' about your absurd top calls since $20  Grin

superside

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:56:07 PM

Just because there is a giant rise in coin value doesn't mean it's a bubble. Bitcoins may be appreciating in value to where they are supposed to be. So instead of a pop, we may start to see stable value in the future...let's hope it continues to rise drastically until then Smiley
giarc

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:59:27 PM

It takes lots of confidence to buy in this market. Speculation: those who are buying in the past few weeks know something most of us here do not know yet. Possibly a big deal / series of deals being prepared behind the curtains. Bitcoincard, coinlabs, etc. - what are they up to?

Surely this logic could justify any purchase of any asset no matter how over valued providing the price is rising.

Choices

1) I know something other people don't, therefore I will buy as it will go up due to said information.
2) I know nothing but the price is rising, therefore other market participants are acting on choice one. I should "invest" like they are due to them making the correct decision. I will buy also.

If anything I've said is vaguely useful feel free to show your appreciation
btc: 1MfMjYXnHkGyRSE9f14XJsmxruuiVreEDh
bte: 8dH3WNre8DPyuj3oCFFNetTtVMXygs59t8
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 01:37:01 PM

Proudhon is not calling single digits anywhere in this thread, therefore:

time to short.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:26:20 PM

sometimes I wonder if just because a bunch of nerds are not available to sell their fantasy coins at any price means that their coins are worth infinite, then I look at USD/euro/yen macro scene, and I realize that is just because a division by zero.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:48:14 PM

This is bad IMO. If normal people can not buy enough coin and any small amount of buy just push the price up due to liquidity problem, they will lose the interest of this thing. Only small speculators are interested in such kind of fast move, big investors have huge risk buying in such kind of illiquid market

And this might just proved that how much cheap money there are out there

Neverest

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:51:46 PM

Yes.

+1 Greed is killing BTC at the moment. There must be many people with hundreds, thousands or more BTC bought/mined for nearly nothing. They are hoarding them, the actual trade volume is very low. If none of these early adopters cash out now, then the price will never stabilize.

If it is not stable (and it will need to be stable for a long time before trust is restored), then it won't be used as currency, which was the entire idea. Instead it is treated as an collectible item, an investment, actually empowering fiat money.
Nobody is checking BTC acceptance rates and trade volumes, everybody is looking at the USD value.

I am not saying it might not rise more, nobody knows. But as a merchant with tangible goods that cost real money, you'd be crazy to accept BTC when it is so volatile and as a consumer you'd be crazy to spend it as the fear of buyer remorse is larger than the fear of having worthless bits and bytes, because, hey, it can only go up, right!
San1ty

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:57:28 PM

Yes.

+1 Greed is killing BTC at the moment. There must be many people with hundreds, thousands or more BTC bought/mined for nearly nothing. They are hoarding them, the actual trade volume is very low. If none of these early adopters cash out now, then the price will never stabilize.

If it is not stable (and it will need to be stable for a long time before trust is restored), then it won't be used as currency, which was the entire idea. Instead it is treated as an collectible item, an investment, actually empowering fiat money.
Nobody is checking BTC acceptance rates and trade volumes, everybody is looking at the USD value.

I am not saying it might not rise more, nobody knows. But as a merchant with tangible goods that cost real money, you'd be crazy to accept BTC when it is so volatile and as a consumer you'd be crazy to spend it as the fear of buyer remorse is larger than the fear of having worthless bits and bytes, because, hey, it can only go up, right!

^
QFT! No price stability === no adoption. BTC needs stability more then anything.

Found my posts helpful? Consider buying me a beer :-)!:
BTC - 1San1tyUGhfWRNPYBF4b6Vaurq5SjFYWk NXT - 17063113680221230777
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 03:04:20 PM

Those "never sell" theories are total BS. Everyone has a selling point. For some it simply is much higher up than where we are now. We're in the process of price discovery and we will overshoot for sure, but the point is that it won't just go up forever. The expectations of many holders are just way beyond the current price.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Neverest

Activity: 70

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 03:19:29 PM

Dude, what are you talking about? over 2 million coins have been sold/bought in the past month alone at Mt gox. TWO MILLION COINS. Something is going on here. Over $180 million has been spent buying coins in the past month. Who has this much money and wants coins? Crazy times.

Smart and automated traders (and those that have enough to influence the price) will have sold. re-bought, re-sold etc etc. So I wonder how many BTC has really been traded and bi which percentage of the user-base.
But even if these were all different one-time trades, it still means that from the current supply of 11 million BTC over 80% has never left the wallet it was stored in. This means it is a collectible item, not a currency and with volatility, this will not change.

New crypto currencies are popping up fast, but we still need one (could be BTC) that will actually be used as a fairly stable currency. Until that moment these are investment bubbles. As said, that does not mean it won't go up. House prices did for a long time and these were backed by a basic need to live somewhere and cost of materials. But it was the greed of the professional gamblers (and the de-regulation of banking laws, does that ring a bell?) that made people lose their life savings and their houses.

But yes, crazy times indeed!
Tronlet

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 03:32:51 PM

Dude, what are you talking about? over 2 million coins have been sold/bought in the past month alone at Mt gox. TWO MILLION COINS. Something is going on here. Over $180 million has been spent buying coins in the past month. Who has this much money and wants coins? Crazy times.

...Yeah, by traders.

Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 03:36:19 PM

Surely this is a bubble and will pop soon enough. It will go away soon!

u need to adjust that for inflation,,,
[/quote]

Likewise Bitcoin should be adjusted for deflation.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:18:04 PM

It takes lots of confidence to buy in this market. Speculation: those who are buying in the past few weeks know something most of us here do not know yet. Possibly a big deal / series of deals being prepared behind the curtains. Bitcoincard, coinlabs, etc. - what are they up to?

Or, those who are buying don't know something the rest of us know, like this is probably a bubble.

Or maybe it is people who want to actually use bitcoins, like buying something or sending money to a distant person or moving money across national boundaries without being constrained by capital controls.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Peter Lambert

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:20:07 PM

there are a lot of people being introduced to bitcoin at the moment who don't have much choice but to buy now - there's no signs of bitcoins dramatically dropping in value.

Here's a sign...

That is not a very good sign, it could mean we are going back to 20, or we could just level off around 200, or it could keep going up to 5000 and drop back down to 2000. Where does your sign say it will end up?

OnlyGoodVibes

Activity: 41

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:22:36 PM

What is so surprising? It is quite obvious the price will continue to rise, so even if it rises only $3, that is still $3 profit. When BTC hit $100 I remember seeing people on here saying they can't believe people are still buying, yet when the price hits $200 (probably not long now) then those 'crazy' people who bought at $100 have doubled their profits.
Peter Lambert

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:36:16 PM

Because its the proper scale for these things. Ask your math teacher tomorrow in school.

Did the move from 5 to 10 look like a bubble? Maybe while it was happening it looked like a bubble, but a few months later when the price remained close to 10 it no longer looked like a bubble, just a move from the old price to the new price. If the price levels out for a few months we will then know this is not a bubble, it is hard to tell while we are in the midst of the run up whether this price will be sustained.

humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:40:21 PM

Did the move from 5 to 10 look like a bubble? Maybe while it was happening it lookid like a bubble, but a few months later when the price remained close to 10 it no longer looked like a bubble, just a move from the old price to the new price. If the price levels out for a few months we will then know this is not a bubble, it is hard to tell while we are in the midst of the run up whether this price will be sustained.

Proudhon is a troll. I wouldn't waste my time responding to him.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
niko (OP)

Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:46:20 PM

Likewise Bitcoin should be adjusted for deflation.
You can correct for monetary inflation, for example see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=147298.0

Corrected plot will show even sharper rise in actual value of coins.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Arzack

Activity: 52

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:51:51 PM

With all these bubble rumors, i think most newbuyers are just gambling something they can afford to loose, hoping to became rich/make some bucks some day.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: