Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:32:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is being told to people in High Schools about Bitcoin  (Read 9671 times)
btcdiggingmaster

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

Transact Safer / Chase Better

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 07:49:56 AM

My brother is now a high school student. and he is told about bitcoin, but not all of his friends to know and understand about bitcoin. although only few people who already know about it, but their response was very positive about this currency. for those bitcoin is the advancement of technology and can make them get an extra pocket money.

For students who understand about bitcoin, it is very simple for them how to use bitcoin wisely. But for the people who don't understand will confuse more about it because bitcoin is completely different terminology when compared to other currency. Even now it is not the right time to explain about bitcoin to student who are pursing high school.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mikecgna

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 07:58:55 AM

As young people today communicate with computers and other high-tech, many have already managed to get acquainted with cryptocurrency and anyone interested, he was already working with bitcoin as its knowledge.
Fatanut
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1059

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 01:35:41 PM

It is not a wise decision to teach them in high school about bitcoin because they don't understand the technology first of all. Even though we explain to them very clearly about bitcoin, still it is very hard for them to understand about block chain and how it works, it really confuses a lot.
If you think that understanding blockchain and anything else regarding crypto world is too hard for high schoolers, then there's something wrong with you. Those students just need to know the basics, and blockchain is part of it. There's no need for teaching those students too far until crypto world's depth. So, they will not be getting confused because of it.
Though I consider bitcoin is pretty important for students who want take or to learn about Technologies and Information categories furthermore, for additional knowledge of course.
I am not really worried about the kids, but more on the educators / teachers who will have to get the message across. today’s youth are more digitally-inclined compared to those who are say in their 40’s. Based on personal experience, my teachers didn’t do a pretty good job in making me understand about the real world economics back in my high school days[1]. So I guess if bitcoin is to be introduced in schools, teachers should first undergo a more thorough and careful understanding of the subject matter in order for them to teach it properly.

[1] My teachers also weren't able to make me understand Math in my high school days, but it was not their fault. As a teenager, we tend to be lazy because of puberty stuffs and all the distractions that surrounds us. If other students were able to understand what real world economics, then you might be the problem and not the teacher. Seriously we can't blame our teacher. We can't say they are "not entertaining enough", "too boring", "not funny", etc. and so we don't want to learn from them. In addition to this, the education back then is different with the education today.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

grenade launcher

Activity: 128

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 05:16:26 AM

It is not a wise decision to teach them in high school about bitcoin because they don't understand the technology first of all. Even though we explain to them very clearly about bitcoin, still it is very hard for them to understand about block chain and how it works, it really confuses a lot.
If you think that understanding blockchain and anything else regarding crypto world is too hard for high schoolers, then there's something wrong with you. Those students just need to know the basics, and blockchain is part of it. There's no need for teaching those students too far until crypto world's depth. So, they will not be getting confused because of it.
Though I consider bitcoin is pretty important for students who want take or to learn about Technologies and Information categories furthermore, for additional knowledge of course.
I am not really worried about the kids, but more on the educators / teachers who will have to get the message across. today’s youth are more digitally-inclined compared to those who are say in their 40’s. Based on personal experience, my teachers didn’t do a pretty good job in making me understand about the real world economics back in my high school days. So I guess if bitcoin is to be introduced in schools, teachers should first undergo a more thorough and careful understanding of the subject matter in order for them to teach it properly.

The fact that teachers need to teach, this is understandable. But this requires a comprehensive approach, because there are no opportunities to even the teachers teach. There is a question of where and how. Who will teach the teachers. It is necessary to develop a new system of education.
bitbunnni

Activity: 127

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 05:25:14 AM

I am not really worried about the kids, but more on the educators / teachers who will have to get the message across. today’s youth are more digitally-inclined compared to those who are say in their 40’s. Based on personal experience, my teachers didn’t do a pretty good job in making me understand about the real world economics back in my high school days[1]. So I guess if bitcoin is to be introduced in schools, teachers should first undergo a more thorough and careful understanding of the subject matter in order for them to teach it properly.

[1] My teachers also weren't able to make me understand Math in my high school days, but it was not their fault. As a teenager, we tend to be lazy because of puberty stuffs and all the distractions that surrounds us. If other students were able to understand what real world economics, then you might be the problem and not the teacher. Seriously we can't blame our teacher. We can't say they are "not entertaining enough", "too boring", "not funny", etc. and so we don't want to learn from them. In addition to this, the education back then is different with the education today.
Bitcoin is not uniquely for the high school. Of course as the media and the general development can give some knowledge. But no more. Bitcoin is necessary to study in higher educational institutions.
Ronxawala

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 05:34:52 AM

My brother is now a high school student. and he is told about bitcoin, but not all of his friends to know and understand about bitcoin. although only few people who already know about it, but their response was very positive about this currency. for those bitcoin is the advancement of technology and can make them get an extra pocket money.

For students who understand about bitcoin, it is very simple for them how to use bitcoin wisely. But for the people who don't understand will confuse more about it because bitcoin is completely different terminology when compared to other currency. Even now it is not the right time to explain about bitcoin to student who are pursing high school.
Perhaps bitcoin is purely an individual theme. And who will come to this himself, he wants to learn more. But if we want to use bitcoin mass, it can not do without training people.
PancherBitCoin

Activity: 812
Merit: 317

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 07:06:29 PM

I remember that I was taught in school and what knowledge teachers were in high technologies. What is already talking about the children, when our teachers know the surface everything you need to know about a bitcoin and blockchain, I'm sure they have not even heard.
DD-Lex

Activity: 120

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 10:52:53 PM

When I was in school, at computer science lessons did not even remembered cryptocurrency. Of course it is a modern trend and advanced technologies, but I can not imagine who could in schools to talk about it. Teachers teach for thirty years programs.
Ocalebeth

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 11:31:07 PM

I have like no idea what they say in high schools about Bitcoin but i don't think that all the teacher will talk positive about it.
Maybe a few teachers who already know about Bitcoin but not all of them
bravehearth0319

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 02:23:23 PM

Five days ago, a friend of mine studying Economics at High School had a discussion with its teacher, regarding Bitcoin, since I told her about that. Here's what the teacher said :

1. That's illegal : He did not bring many proves here, just saying that since it has not been regulated as a currency, we were in a grey area, and something in a grey area is rarely something that will become totally white from one day to another. He added that the sole purpose of that was to buy all kind of drugs over the Internet.

2. It will crash : He said that he had studied Bitcoin's price evolution throught the time (what I doubt) and said her that being so constantly rising was a sign that it was not a viable project. Its proof : manipulated prices of things like silver or wheat are very stable !

3. Anyone clear in its head wouldn't use it : First, he doesn't recognise any kind of manipulation of the money and the danger that there is for people keeping all their savings in fiat. I know that because I had him as a teacher too some times ago. So trying to explaining him about the fact that there is a clear war against cash and evident facts, like that that shows our money need to be converted into something viable to be protected from massive surveillance, is useless. Him not understanding that, since its the best argument I have, I couldn't have replied. When she told him about the speed of transactions, he replied "we have PayPal", so I said me that it wasn't worth to ever try explaining anything. As a final point, he said again that the sole real use that is making standing apart is that you can buy drugs on the Internet...

4. Bitcoin at a bigger scale would fail : I couldn't explain you much what he said because what she told me wasn't very clear so I personnally did not understood, as her I presume how confuse her explaination was. To summarize, he said that it's still a little market and that it will fail to scale and will go back to close to nothing in value.

I'd like to get your feelings on that. Just call the arguments 1, 2, 3 and 4 and tell me what you would have replied back and what it does inspire you !

They said its illegal maybe because some of the government they think bitcoin is illegal, and bitcoin is unregulated due to its decentralization while the government is regulated in this industry.
bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 05:04:57 PM

As young people today communicate with computers and other high-tech, many have already managed to get acquainted with cryptocurrency and anyone interested, he was already working with bitcoin as its knowledge.
but yet bitcoin is not use as currency in most of the places and most of the people have no approach to online shops therefore it is not as much necessary to teach to children about bitcoin and when the time will come then they should teach about bitcoin in school when all the people of the world will be using bitcoin as currency.
Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 06:05:53 PM

Young people in schools are taught the US Constitution is an obsolete document & capitalism is evil.

Its not surprising teachers would also mislead them into believing bitcoin is evil as well.

They're being brought up to hate things that give them independence and freedom.
megynacuna

Activity: 756
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 09:08:30 PM

High school students are young adults so I don't think there should be anything special to tell them apart from the whole truth about Bitcoin. There's no need to shield the truth from them as their generation might adopt Bitcoin as a currency and so we should present them the bare facts about Bitcoin.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2017, 08:06:41 AM

High school students are young adults so I don't think there should be anything special to tell them apart from the whole truth about Bitcoin. There's no need to shield the truth from them as their generation might adopt Bitcoin as a currency and so we should present them the bare facts about Bitcoin

I don't really know whether it is correct to speak of high school kids as students. I guess they should be rather called pupils (but that's likely just me). As to me, in high schools teachers should first of all provide basic and established knowledge such as mathematics or physics. If we are to remain realists we should accept the fact that Bitcoin is not what youngsters 15-17 years old should be told in classrooms. There are quite a few more important things that should be taught in high school

At max, Bitcoin related classes should be entirely facultative

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 01:02:25 PM

Five days ago, a friend of mine studying Economics at High School had a discussion with its teacher, regarding Bitcoin, since I told her about that. Here's what the teacher said :

1. That's illegal : He did not bring many proves here, just saying that since it has not been regulated as a currency, we were in a grey area, and something in a grey area is rarely something that will become totally white from one day to another. He added that the sole purpose of that was to buy all kind of drugs over the Internet.

Misinformed the legality of Bitcoin depends on the jurisdiction because of that it is not necessarily an entirely accurate statement in fact less areas are in the grey as tax rules and laws have been set down in various countries regulating Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies perhaps he should be told of the Blockchain and it's infrastructure first and not look only at the fiat side of Bitcoin.

2. It will crash : He said that he had studied Bitcoin's price evolution through out the time (what I doubt) and said her that being so constantly rising was a sign that it was not a viable project. Its proof : manipulated prices of things like silver or wheat are very stable !

Well then I guess your professor knowingly did not look at Gold or mention it and how it has performed since the year 2000 as a leverage against the US dollar and Fiat currencies, he also for an economics professor seems to omit the fact that Quantitative easing was because of an unregulated stock market and that these artificial bubbles of wealth in housing were under this type of system.

Furthermore what is wrong with an asset appreciating in value as more people contribute to the system increased usage leads to price appreciation a fixed supply of Bitcoin sounds far more attractive than unlimited printing of new currency as it acts as a real cap on inflation and a mechanism of provable price appreciation.

(There was a run on Silver historically https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Thursday) Fun fact it failed but if that is his reference to bubble pop it is quite weak as the physical assets or digital assets of Bitcoin are owned by individuals and disbursed meaning it is susceptible to collective psychology like anything else.

3. Anyone clear in its head wouldn't use it : First, he doesn't recognize any kind of manipulation of the money and the danger that there is for people keeping all their savings in fiat. I know that because I had him as a teacher too some times ago. So trying to explaining him about the fact that there is a clear war against cash and evident facts, like that that shows our money need to be converted into something viable to be protected from massive surveillance, is useless. Him not understanding that, since its the best argument I have, I couldn't have replied. When she told him about the speed of transactions, he replied "we have PayPal", so I said me that it wasn't worth to ever try explaining anything. As a final point, he said again that the sole real use that is making standing apart is that you can buy drugs on the Internet...

Bank runs and crashes are more than common look a person in the face and tell them that in Greece and Cyprus and they will say you are wrong looked what happened to us. Even India recalling all of its 10,000 Rupee notes leads to chaos and you see financial risk in normal Fiat and Banking.

Consider the underbanked in africa and the fees they pay to bank plus the distance and time it takes for rural africans to even bank and its just not a viable solution for all. Just because your money is safe plausibly under deposit insurance to an extent doesn't mean much when real shit goes down and in normal times bank balances as an investment class are terrible with low interest rates like anything else for comfort.

I guess you could buy a mutual fund and lose out on a lot of money and potential earnings from commission and brokerage fees as well and unless you have a big enough balance stocks are not in the cards. Or you could own something like Bitcoin directly and cash out at your leisure and at a reasonable price.

(We have literally 1000's of places that take Bitcoin now in cities all over that drug part is invalid in Japan alone 20,000 by the end of this year)
The future is bright
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/japan-see-20000-bitcoin-accepting-merchants-2017/

4. Bitcoin at a bigger scale would fail : I couldn't explain you much what he said because what she told me wasn't very clear so I personally did not understood, as her I presume how confuse her explanation was. To summarize, he said that it's still a little market and that it will fail to scale and will go back to close to nothing in value.
Bitcoins been called dead countless times, its well alive and kicking.
Me and nearly 1.5 Billion Dollars invested into Venture capital will sit here and humbly disagree.
http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-venture-capital/

I'd like to get your feelings on that. Just call the arguments 1, 2, 3 and 4 and tell me what you would have replied back and what it does inspire you !

It inspires me to tell him to go back to school for he got schooled

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
ko0ll0ove

Activity: 182

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 01:21:34 PM

2. It will crash : He said that he had studied Bitcoin's price evolution throught the time (what I doubt) and said her that being so constantly rising was a sign that it was not a viable project. Its proof : manipulated prices of things like silver or wheat are very stable !

3. Anyone clear in its head wouldn't use it : First, he doesn't recognise any kind of manipulation of the money and the danger that there is for people keeping all their savings in fiat. I know that because I had him as a teacher too some times ago. So trying to explaining him about the fact that there is a clear war against cash and evident facts, like that that shows our money need to be converted into something viable to be protected from massive surveillance, is useless. Him not understanding that, since its the best argument I have, I couldn't have replied. When she told him about the speed of transactions, he replied "we have PayPal", so I said me that it wasn't worth to ever try explaining anything. As a final point, he said again that the sole real use that is making standing apart is that you can buy drugs on the Internet...

4. Bitcoin at a bigger scale would fail : I couldn't explain you much what he said because what she told me wasn't very clear so I personnally did not understood, as her I presume how confuse her explaination was. To summarize, he said that it's still a little market and that it will fail to scale and will go back to close to nothing in value.

First of all, I think because your teacher is not research about bitcoin much so he just (maybe) effect those idea from some small text or just in some fact that very unilateral. I'm in that position too, I mean I was thought that bitcoin just a digital currency which can be used by illegal purpose. But yes, to know anything, you have to deeply study about it, after reading about dark-net, I started to learn about cryptocurrency, there are not many documents at that time but enough for me to understand various benefits of new coin technology. Bitcoin is not illegal if you think its not! Because nowadays, people use bitcoin for some of their daily supply and I think its faster and easier than fiat.
Gembul

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 01:33:14 PM

Personally, I really don't think that Students in High School should be taught how to use Bitcoin because of how complicating it is and because of what people purchase with it. I know that it is just a payment system and people often use credit cards, debit cards and whatnot though Bitcoin is more flexible with anonymous payments if they know how to do the proper security defenses.

Most of the students within High School could ruin their lives with just a few clicks of a mouse.

I think in  this digital era high school students can easily know bitcoin only from the Internet, even some movies today mention bitcoin as you say, just a few clicks on the mouse. I think they already know about bitcoin, but they do not attract attention because appearing on the internet or movies simply use bitcoin for illegal things.

Iam first  know bitcoin while still in high school, but I know bitcoin able to increase the pocket money. So I decided to use bitcoin until today. And I think if they knew about it they would use bitcoin, especially at this time bitcoin can be used to buy something online. That where it is much-loved by the people today, especially young people. Thank you
Pamadar
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 1028

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 01:39:31 PM

Personally, I really don't think that Students in High School should be taught how to use Bitcoin because of how complicating it is and because of what people purchase with it. I know that it is just a payment system and people often use credit cards, debit cards and whatnot though Bitcoin is more flexible with anonymous payments if they know how to do the proper security defenses.

Most of the students within High School could ruin their lives with just a few clicks of a mouse.

I think in  this digital era high school students can easily know bitcoin only from the Internet, even some movies today mention bitcoin as you say, just a few clicks on the mouse. I think they already know about bitcoin, but they do not attract attention because appearing on the internet or movies simply use bitcoin for illegal things.

Iam first  know bitcoin while still in high school, but I know bitcoin able to increase the pocket money. So I decided to use bitcoin until today. And I think if they knew about it they would use bitcoin, especially at this time bitcoin can be used to buy something online. That where it is much-loved by the people today, especially young people. Thank you
that's right mate bitcoin already been introduce in some movies and if you see from commercials with youtube and some website in google
they are able to get some curiosity and try to research it by themselves as we already in the era of technologies even young ones really
doing well adopting the system.
chrisivl

Activity: 149

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 10:09:46 PM

that's right mate bitcoin already been introduce in some movies and if you see from commercials with youtube and some website in google
they are able to get some curiosity and try to research it by themselves as we already in the era of technologies even young ones really
Many teenagers are very much dependent on the Internet, and almost all of their time spend on the network. Therefore, there are cases where children are better oriented to high technology than their parents.
wahb

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 11:39:41 PM

Many teenagers are very much dependent on the Internet, and almost all of their time spend on the network. Therefore, there are cases where children are better oriented to high technology than their parents.
i do not think that it is such a good idea. i think it is the duty of their parents to avoids their children from the need of internet and in fct we are just wasting their time. i think they should give time to their education and after completing their duty when then become more mature should try to use bitoin.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  All
  Print  

Jump to: