Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:18:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLD] 2006 Porsche Cayman S. Located in Austin Texas.  (Read 6353 times)
jackmccauley (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 07:56:26 PM
Last edit: April 09, 2013, 09:20:24 PM by jackmccauley

Thanks kids, it's gone now.   Write it up, that's TWO Porsches sold in the Austin area for Bitcoins in the past week.  It's been a fun ride, hope it's fun for the new buyer.

You can view the Craigslist ad here: http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/3723378521.html

Current Price in BC
Sold for 100 Bitcoins.

It's a 2006 Porsche Cayman S with 60k miles.  Very good condition.
https://i.imgur.com/gzw0t4ml.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/TB5k5xGl.jpg

CarMax just offered me $22k for it today, a friend wants to buy it for $25k.  I'd rather not go through the hassle of buying the Bitcoin as a separate transaction.  Meet me in the middle and pay in Bitcoin?  I have the title in hand and can transfer it immediately.  I do not expect to have this car in 48 hours, regardless of who buys it -- worst case, I'll take it to CarMax and convert the cash to BitCoin.

First, the good. It's an attractive car that always catches everyone's attention. It's bright red with some pretty distinctive OZ Superleggra III wheels and it's in very good condition. It has the PASM suspension, so it sits a little lower than most and has prompted many questions about why this one looks better than most Caymans.

It's also got an aftermarket Tubi exhaust, which sounds absolutely fantastic. It is routinely a topic of conversation, and it's one of best sounding exhausts I've heard and I get many, many compliments on it. It's a $3500 exhaust that I wouldn't have bought originally but can't imagine owning a Porsche without it now. Seriously, it sounds that good.

It's got all the major options you want. It has:

• The six speed manual (PDK wasn't out in 2006 and you want to shift yourself anyway, right?).
  • The PCM system, which gives you navigation and a whole lot more.  
  • The Sport Chrono system, which gives you the stopwatch and integrates with PCM to give you sport plus mode, which remaps the throttle and engine management for better throttle response and acceleration.  
  • The PASM suspension system, which lowers the car and gives you two settings (soft and firm) for the suspension.
  • Full leather interior. This is an option not many choose and few are aware exists. Basically, if you can touch it in the car and it's not plastic or metal, it's leather. The dash is leather, the entire door panels are leather, everything is leather, and yes, it looks that much nicer and makes a huge difference in the look and feel of the interior. This is another option that would have been way too expensive for to seriously consider, but it's an option I wouldn't do without now.  
  • Bi-Xenon Headlights. These were an option in 2006, this car has them. They're standard now and much better than the standard headlamps of 2006.  
  • Sport Adaptive Seats. These are the best power seats Porsche puts in the car. They've got a lot of adjustability, I can think of 16 different buttons that adjust various things on each seat. They are extremely comfortable and very adaptable while holding you more firmly than anything else short of a dedicated race seat. They do have aftermarket seat heaters installed -- it was the only option the car didn't come with that I really wanted.  

Now the bad.

It's got 60,000 miles. Not a whole lot for a 2006 automobile, but it's on the upper range for a Porsche. I don't think it's that bad, but you need to know.
It has had an engine replacement. This is the big one. The original motors in the 2006 Cayman S were notoriously fragile and had several ways they could fail. Mine lost a timing chain tensioner at 51,000 miles. I had it replaced with a 2008 motor that had 28,000 miles on it. All of the 40k and 60k maintenance was done while the motor was being replaced -- all fluids, spark plugs, belts, etc were replaced at this time. This motor is a better motor than the 2006 motors and has been thoroughly checked out and gone over by two different shops. I would trust it far more than any other 2006 Cayman S, but ... the VIN numbers do not match. That may or may not be important to you.
It could use a full detail. It had one a few months ago, but I'm in a hurry to sell the car and buy bitcoins, so I don't have time to do it right now. If you buy the car and are willing to wait a couple of days, I will make sure that a full detail is done before you take delivery.

That's it. The photos tell the rest of the tale. Let me know if there are any questions or concerns.

I am flexible on price, especially if you can put bitcoins in my account. Make me a reasonable offer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sega01

Activity: 391
Merit: 333

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 09:23:41 PM

I live in San Antonio. I have to admit, that is pretty tempting. Beautiful looking Porsche.

Could you tell me a bit about what's different from the Cayman S versus the 911? I know there are many 911 variants, though. The Cayman S sets a pretty impressive lap time on the Numbergring. Would be a fun car down at Harris Hill.

I know some of the old Porsches had unassisted steering and brakes. I guess that's not the case with this car? Does it have traction control? I do tend to love a very raw car with a lot of feedback.

Thanks,
Teran
jackmccauley (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 10:48:42 PM

The big difference is that the 911 is the flagship.  It gets better motors.  It's also a 2+2 coupe with the engine hanging out the back.  Some like that, but it has tricky handling.  The 911 has many variants, but mainly it's S (upgraded horsepower, bigger rear wheels), 4S (S with all-wheel drive), Turbo (yet more power and all wheel drive), GT3 (racing variant, two wheel drive), GT2 (racing variant, basically a really nasty turbo).   Then there's targas and convertibles of some of those. 

The Cayman is a two seater and the motor is mid-engined.  The chassis is much better, which is why a lot of people swap 911 engines into them.  There's no LSD stock on the Cayman either, because Porsche tried to make sure that it didn't set better lap times than the 911.  I didn't install an LSD, though the previous owner might have -- it always felt like it had one, but I didn't want to pay to verify. 

You also get a front and rear trunk on the Cayman that you don't get on the 911. 

BTW, this car has been around H2R a time or two.  Not a member, but I know the owners well and my girlfriend used to run a High Performance Driver's Education school there.  It is indeed, quite fun around that track.  It's a pretty raw car, though no Lotus Exige.  It does have power steering and is pretty damn useable as a daily.  Honestly, I love the car and I've spent a year debating about selling it because I don't know what I'd like more.  It's that good. 

I could meet you in San Marcos if this is a deal you want to do.
ChanceCoats123

Activity: 682
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:51:43 AM

Bravo to you, sir. You've got a nice car and you're well versed in Porsche also. Not just a prick who bought an expensive car to brag. Good luck selling, I hope this is another transaction the bitcoin world can make happen.  Smiley
sega01

Activity: 391
Merit: 333

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:39:39 AM

Thank you for all of the information! I actually just watched the Top Gear episode covering the Cayman S. It was season 7, episode 2.

They agreed that the Cayman was rather artifically placed in the middle of the lineup, but easily could be the most superior on the track with the LSD and a little more power. Does this this one have carbon brakes? Although that is an expensive option, and I'm not sure they feel quite as nice. Top Gear raved about the navigation system which you said was a selected option on this particular Cayman.

If the rear end was lifted up (and it's a traditional LSD like I'm used to), you should be able to spin one tire and see if the other turns with it in the same direction. Of course either way, it is a terrific car.

I do appreciate your offer of meeting me in San Marcos. I'll have to turn you down for now, but I wish you the best of luck in the sale. In my mind, this is superior to the 8,200 mile Cayman S which sold for 300 Bitcoins not long ago. On the one hand, it's hard to swap a (hopefully) appreciating asset for a depreciating asset, but on the other hand, the output of `bitcoind getbalance` is nothing like an exhilarating automobile with beautiful, red curves.

Sincerely,
Teran
jackmccauley (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 03:56:30 AM
Last edit: April 09, 2013, 05:15:03 AM by jackmccauley

I understand.

To answer your question, it does not have the carbon brakes.  Trust me, you don't want them -- they're only superior if you plan on tracking the car all the time and the rotors alone are $4000 a piece.   No thanks.

To another person, no, I'm not a Porsche prick.  I'm actually a fairly regular dude who reached a little to get a car he really, really wanted.  I bought the car because I loved it and wanted to drive it every day, not because other people thought it was beautiful or because it was a Porsche.  I really wouldn't have cared what badge it wore, but I will admit it's been fun owning a product of such a storied marque.
jackmccauley (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:12:15 PM
Last edit: April 09, 2013, 07:45:37 PM by jackmccauley

Price lowered!  
http://btcticker.appspot.com/mtgox/24000usd.png

Sure you don't want it?
teodor87

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Man is King!

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 04:11:04 PM

Car looks cool but it ain't a M5 BMW.  Roll Eyes

1BXi1DWT9U8snSr8wmuL7iihqphNiPRN9k
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:30:31 PM

Bleh.  I'd have this car over an M5 ANY day of the week!
teodor87

Man is King!

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:48:23 PM

Yeah, if you're a girl. The M5 is 507 BHP. And the inside is like an airplane cockpit.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 08:15:03 PM

Yeah, if you're a girl. The M5 is 507 BHP. And the inside is like an airplane cockpit.
Lol?  Man, I thought I was done hearing "girly car" jokes when I got out of high school.

I understand different strokes for different folks, but if you're just going by HP, then why not pick up a Shelby GT500 and save a hundred G's?

I'm a big fan of lightweight cars myself.  The nimbleness and connectedness of them just reminds me of go-karts and makes any drive an absolute blast.  Cheesy  The M5 is just rather large and bulky, and disconnected from the road.  Don't get me wrong - I absolutely wouldn't turn down a drive in one, but I'd rather own a high-end Porsche.  Or a Z4M.
teodor87

Man is King!

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 08:25:43 PM

Yeah, everyone likes different cars I guess.

I prefer Mercedes Benz, but BMW M5 is really nice. I bet that Porsch is not bad too, but I literally know a mom of my friend who drives the same. She looks hot in it, and she's 48.

Just sayin'.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:04:34 PM

I prefer Mercedes Benz, but BMW M5 is really nice. I bet that Porsch is not bad too, but I literally know a mom of my friend who drives the same. She looks hot in it, and she's 48.

Just sayin'.
After driving a Miata for almost 10 years now, I've learned to be completely immune to any and all girly-car comments and make/model stereotypes.  There's a reason it's the most-tracked car in America...  They're freaking fun to drive!  And that's just about all I care about.

Moral of the story?  M5, MB, Porsche, Miata, whatever - screw all the haters and drive what you want to drive.  Cheesy
jackmccauley (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:27:32 PM

That was my choice.  And apparently someone else's.   
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:28:08 PM

Awesome. It sold for BTC?
just1nmc

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:57:21 PM

Wow, that was quick. Someone on the east coast needs to sell a Porsche, Texas is a bit too far for me Smiley
jackmccauley (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:02:24 PM

Car looks cool but it ain't a M5 BMW.  Roll Eyes
Bleh.  I'd have this car over an M5 ANY day of the week!
That was my choice.  And apparently someone else's.  
It did. 100 Bitcoins.  Not what I wanted for the car, but I wanted Bitcoins now, not next week.  I left a lot of money on the table, let's hope I make it up in the market.
tom1

Activity: 130

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:07:24 PM

It did. 100 Bitcoins.  Not what I wanted for the car, but I wanted Bitcoins now, not next week.  I lost money on the sale, let's hope I make it up in the market.
Congratulations Wink

TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:55:05 PM

Car looks cool but it ain't a M5 BMW.  Roll Eyes
Bleh.  I'd have this car over an M5 ANY day of the week!
That was my choice.  And apparently someone else's.  
It did. 100 Bitcoins.  Not what I wanted for the car, but I wanted Bitcoins now, not next week.  I left a lot of money on the table, let's hope I make it up in the market.

This car might solve the next week problem:

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
smracer
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 02:26:31 AM

Just sayin'.
After driving a Miata for almost 10 years now, I've learned to be completely immune to any and all girly-car comments and make/model stereotypes.  There's a reason it's the most-tracked car in America...  They're freaking fun to drive!  And that's just about all I care about.

Moral of the story?  M5, MB, Porsche, Miata, whatever - screw all the haters and drive what you want to drive.  Cheesy

As a Spec Miata racer for the last 7 years I concur. 
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: