Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:20:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Rape Culture Truly Exist? "One in Five are Sexually Assaulted at College"  (Read 369 times)
devthedev (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 04:06:01 AM

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/54186821#54186821

It is absolutely terrible this is happening to people and many are not being taken seriously. However, statistics have shown there is not a "rape culture" on campuses. They claim 1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted on college campuses, but that number is completely blown out of proportion and is false. Many recent studies have shown that it is even less than 1 in 1000. We can all agree that even 1 is terrible -- throwing on millions of others by claiming 1 in 5 women are assaulted discredits those who actually are and has contributed to the notion that those reporting rape are being untruthful. The idea that there is this "rape culture" portrays most men as these nasty people that objectify women and can not be trusted, however that's completely false. There is a very, very small percentage of men (and women for that matter) who sexually exploit each other and it is absolutely despicable, but not the majority as these protests make it seem like -- it's a wild fabrication.

What are your thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 04:42:39 AM

Not to make light of those who actually are victims, but that survey was absolute bullshit. The study referenced (or at least one of them) was done at my University (The University of Maryland) and a few of my friends actually took the survey that gave the 1 in 5 figures.

One of the questions was if you had ever had sexual activity with someone and then regretted it the next day, and that counted that as sexual assault/rape. Another was if you had hooked up with someone under the influence of alcohol, with which you wouldn't have otherwise. That also constituted sexual assault.
Cranky4u

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2016, 04:54:59 AM

Which Uni?

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 05:11:28 AM

Not to make light of those who actually are victims, but that survey was absolute bullshit. The study referenced (or at least one of them) was done at my University (The University of Maryland) and a few of my friends actually took the survey that gave the 1 in 5 figures.

One of the questions was if you had ever had sexual activity with someone and then regretted it the next day, and that counted that as sexual assault/rape. Another was if you had hooked up with someone under the influence of alcohol, with which you wouldn't have otherwise. That also constituted sexual assault.

I just remember talking about the survey being bullshit after friends took it. The most obvious flaw, was that they characterized all things as sexual assault. Regretting having sex with someone the next day, but being of complete sound mind at the time and consenting is considered sexual assault now? There were some iffy questions on there as well, mainly alcohol related stuff. I suppose its really up for debate after how much liquor can someone truly legally consent to something. I dont remember what factor that played, but I wouldn't be surprised if they considered any sexual relations after any quantity of alcohol as rape.

all men had a mandatory ~3 hour lecture about it afterwards.

TLDR: The study was extremely flawed, and its just good shocknews. Does rape culture exist? Maybe, but the study referenced was complete trash and should be tossed out and redone by competent people without an agenda. I'm not sure what their agenda would have been in publishing the misleading study, but I refuse to believe that anyone is as incompetent as those who made the survey and scored it.
Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 07:43:35 AM

I dont believe in rape culture but on aggressive students who are savagely experimenting on different sexual activities. Alcohol and drugs are the reason why students lost theirselves, they bang theirselves and forgotten what they done the next day and if asked they will say they are abused to cover up their evil deeds. Its like throwing the blame to others for the sins I made so I will not destroy my image.
Mersedes

Activity: 223
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 11:28:18 AM

I dont believe in rape culture but on aggressive students who are savagely experimenting on different sexual activities. Alcohol and drugs are the reason why students lost theirselves, they bang theirselves and forgotten what they done the next day and if asked they will say they are abused to cover up their evil deeds. Its like throwing the blame to others for the sins I made so I will not destroy my image.
I don't believe in a culture of rape. I am sure that even if such statistics exist, it is false. Sex happens by consent but then the girl is afraid of the condemnation of parents and says that she was raped.
rikky05

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 11:47:47 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2016, 05:49:09 PM by rikky05

Maybe it is becoming some fancy culture to say rapes are taking place so often
Perle

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 11:52:27 AM

The real rapes are taking place in Europe by the illegal refuges!, in normal cities the only proved rapes are made by deformed or ugly guys that they have no chance of having sex by another method.
In any case, such incidents are rare and may not be so systemic. I think that this message is spread with a purpose. And I'm sure that this purpose is not good.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: