Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 01:54:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you ever exchanged BTC face to face?  (Read 8306 times)
manbitcoinlover

Activity: 168
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 08:14:00 PM

I didn't see anyone mentioning the main reasons for face to face transactions (maybe I missed it tho):

1) localbitcoins, banks, all charge fees to escrow or transfer funds. Face to face cash payment doesn't have this loss.

2) face to face cash for bitcoin breaks the chain. The other guy might see your face but at least your transaction is not sitting in a database which is kept by banks or localbitcoins forever waiting for a warrant to force them to release it.

I much prefer face to face transactions as both a buyer and a seller.

Good point, face to face exchanges are quick and have no fees and need no escrows, but it is also not a perfect method for some people.
1. People are shy and do not want to go out in public a lot especially meeting new strangers
2. You need to be trusting the person you are going to meet wont physically harm you
3. The person needs to be near your area. This is the biggest one as some people live in countries where BTC not popular.

Looking for Signature Campaign, PM ME!
harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 08:27:39 PM

I didn't see anyone mentioning the main reasons for face to face transactions (maybe I missed it tho):

1) localbitcoins, banks, all charge fees to escrow or transfer funds. Face to face cash payment doesn't have this loss.

2) face to face cash for bitcoin breaks the chain. The other guy might see your face but at least your transaction is not sitting in a database which is kept by banks or localbitcoins forever waiting for a warrant to force them to release it.

I much prefer face to face transactions as both a buyer and a seller.

Good point, face to face exchanges are quick and have no fees and need no escrows, but it is also not a perfect method for some people.
1. People are shy and do not want to go out in public a lot especially meeting new strangers
2. You need to be trusting the person you are going to meet wont physically harm you
3. The person needs to be near your area. This is the biggest one as some people live in countries where BTC not popular.

Bank transfers are quick too. The speed is not a good argument (especially when you take into account the time to get to the meeting). I guess shyness is a point, tho I'd argue people can use these meets to practice going out Smiley

You don't need to trust people so much. Meet in a public place. leave at your own chosen moment (stay for an extra coffee if you like). Petty thieves aren't a patient kind of people. Call another friend to join you for a coffee even Smiley

Location and time to get there are negatives. No question.

smho_16

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 08:32:32 PM

I have done but with close friends and colleagues , people that I know. Whenever they needed to buy I have sold them even a bit cheaper than the exchange rate of Bitstamp as that is what we use in Europe, just to stimulate them to get more deeper in the bitcoin world.

I am really afraid to try this kind of exchange with people I don't really know well as it contains lots of risks. Stealing, life menacing (not kidding here) and other risk it may contain. That's why I stay away from this kind of exchange with people that I don't know.

This is a very good way of exchange with only people you know well and you know from a certain time like friends and colleagues.
BitcoinPanther

Activity: 1918
Merit: 564

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 08:37:50 PM

Not a chance, I haven't exchange BTC face to face because I am too lazy to go out and meet people just to sell or buy a BTC.  I am very comfortable in buying BTC in a convinient store and selling it with third party processor.  I have not experience any problem dealing with this kind of method.
cryp24x

Activity: 1190
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 08:42:51 PM

I have not experienced selling BTC but I have bought some BTC with my friend.  I think if ever i have BTC to sell, I would choose a platform where there is no physical contact between seller and buyer.  I would rather have my safety than my BTC Cheesy
Foref1982

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 08:50:33 PM

I have exchanged it F2F only with relatives. If you have the slightest knowledge about the other person, F2F exchange could be the most reliable method. But it still has it's risks that seriously expands if you haven't met with the other person before and especially at high volumes when IRL hit&run and murder are considerable risks. In that case, it's advised to secure yourself even when exchanging F2F.
wxa7115

Activity: 2730
Merit: 706

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 08:55:39 PM

I've been using BTC for a while. I've been using it at exchanges, to trade altcoins and to order goods over the Internet, but I've never exchanged BTC with someone in front of me. At a store or between friends, or family. This despite having had long conversations about BTC with various kinds of people, and attending a few meetups.

Who has exchanged BTC F2F?

I have done it, in a small restaurant once, personally I will not doing it again, nothing went wrong or anything but it is way easier to just buy the coins by cash deposit or other methods than to do a face to face trade.
virtualkeybuyer

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 09:00:34 PM

I often give some loan to my friends in bitcoin when they need that is done face to face as they come to my home to ask for that if they need for buying any online good and when they have some money they give them back to me in BTC or in fiat in hand.
jak3
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 09:03:45 PM

i have exchanged some bitcoin with my friend whom i teached about bitcoins some months ago maybe like 5-6 month ago but i have never get a chance to do it with any strainger. bitcoin is popular in my contry as because they have seen it in news but many less people have faith and truly belives in it.
Vikingr

Activity: 798

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 10:07:40 PM

No I have not tried that till now as nowadays it is much hard to find a person in your area who will use bitcoin and if someone will use they will be at the same level as you. In my place only some of my friends are using bitcoins but I have not tried yet with them. In the future it will not be any issue when everyone will have bitcoins.
mrcash02

Activity: 1190
Merit: 525

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 10:12:42 PM

To say the truth, I don't know anyone who uses Bitcoin, just people from the internet. People around me doesn't use it or doesn't know what it is. It's impossible for me at this moment to exchange BTC face to face with another person.

If I have all the sites offering BTC deals and services, I don't need to search for people in my area, it's very accessible and simply as it is now and I'm fine with this.  Smiley

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
nara1892

Activity: 1582
Merit: 655

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 10:13:44 PM

I've been using BTC for a while. I've been using it at exchanges, to trade altcoins and to order goods over the Internet, but I've never exchanged BTC with someone in front of me. At a store or between friends, or family. This despite having had long conversations about BTC with various kinds of people, and attending a few meetups.

never. I just sold my bitcoin to my friend who ws far away from me and to local exchanger because here, where I live, in my environment nobody knows bitcoin exactly or I do not know who knows bitcoin except me. so I never exchange my bitcoin face to face.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
PacePay

Activity: 672

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 10:28:11 PM

With my brother I have exchanged when he need to buy some bitcoins he ask from me to sell some to him and so he pay me fiat and at that time I send him bitcoins that is a good example of face by face bitcoin exchange
SyGambler
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1804

guess who's back

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 10:54:33 PM

sadly I haven't cause people here don't know about bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency , I would like to exchange some btc from time to time
but in general people here have zero experience when it comes to online money in general , cause all the popular ewallets and even master and visa aren't supported

maybe this will change in future if the people here started to realize that they can spend and make money online
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 10:57:04 PM

I have advertised a few times on local bitcoins to sell in cash but have never had an offer,  i have also sent friends and family some and bought a coffee a few times from a local cafe that accepts it.  Wink
countryfree (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 11:00:36 PM

Well, I see the majority of the people are like me. Face to face transactions are rare, and I think it's a pity because I've done several cash transactions those past few months. Most notably, I've been buying and selling some old cars, and parts. I'll insist net time about using BTC to make the deal.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
BigBos

Activity: 1890
Merit: 447

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 11:04:07 PM

I've never done that. very difficult to find exchangers in the city I live in, and even, very difficult to find another bitcoin users. I just make the switch via facebook, or the official website created especially to exchange money, and I think it's better, and easier.
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1337

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2016, 11:06:42 PM

So far no, but I would like to do it.
Main reason why I never exchanged bitcoin face to face that I live in small city and there are no people who are changing bitcoin face to face. I would need to go almost 100km to nearest big city where I can find some people who do that.

Arcteryx

Activity: 728

EtherSphere - Social Games

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 11:14:19 PM

Never have and don't think I ever will because as a cryptocurrency that is the reason I wanted to use it in the first place so I can use it on the computer. And also as most like to use it in this way as well:  For the anonymity it presents. Smiley

........EtherSphere........
.....ICO Starts on 5th August, 4:00 PM UTC.....
.......High ROI Social Ethereum Games
........BENEFITS WHITEPAPER ANN THREAD GITHUB REDDIT TWITTER........

░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████████▀░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▄█████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░▄██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░██████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▀███████████████████▄░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▀▀██████████████████▄░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██████▀░░░
░░░░░░░▄█████████████████▀▀░░░░░
░░░░░▄████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░......................
BossMacko

Activity: 1134
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 11:18:16 PM

Nope never tried it before but what is the sense of using Bitcoin if you will just going to trade face to face. I used bitcoin because it makes my life easier no hassle when making a deal with others they will just send Bitcoin to your address then in less than 5 mins if you see the transaction in your wallet you can already give the goods to the other party.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: