Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:34:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Greed makes the world go round  (Read 3833 times)
flyhouse (OP)

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:19:06 PM

As I have seen on many other markets, greed is the driving factor behind every bubble.
When will some people here see that it's their greed telling them that BTC will hit $1K by next week/month/year?

BTC is different from other markets in many ways, but it IS after all a MARKET- buy and sell.
I think that after greed and burst bubbles, comes the fundamentals and the real development of BTC. Does anyone agree with me?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:25:16 PM

Tough call, from even the slightest conventional point of view.

The bitcoin market is a market like any other - yes.

But bitcoin itself is a new thing.

I think nobody knows.  We're flying on guts here - you got 'em or you don't...

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
nwbitcoin

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 07:27:20 PM

We don't know what the price of bitcoin is going to be, so how come you think the current price is greed?

Its like the price of any other commodity - the price is what the market decides it is - its just because we don't have historical data that everyone is in shock at the current price!

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
flyhouse (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:28:52 PM

It's new- yes.
It's got future- I couldn't agree more.
But some people should stop being greedy and look at how BTC can benefit them and the people around them in the long run. That way we'll get a stable currency and escape from the grips of government and greedy bankers.
Manticore

Activity: 70

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:29:47 PM

As I have seen on many other markets, greed is the driving factor behind every bubble.
When will some people here see that it's their greed telling them that BTC will hit $1K by next week/month/year?

BTC is different from other markets in many ways, but it IS after all a MARKET- buy and sell.
I think that after greed and burst bubbles, comes the fundamentals and the real development of BTC. Does anyone agree with me?

Agreed.
BTC Books

Activity: 84

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:30:44 PM

We don't know what the price of bitcoin is going to be, so how come you think the current price is greed?

Its like the price of any other commodity - the price is what the market decides it is - its just because we don't have historical data that everyone is in shock at the current price!

Yeah.  What if some new element were discovered on Mars - something prettier than gold, more useful than silver, and ten times more dangerous than uranium?  What would a brand new market in that element look like?

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
warpio

Activity: 110

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:32:41 PM

The Cyprus deal has really changed the game here in a big way. Normally I would agree that the bubble has to burst eventually, but this is a very unique situation.

It's no longer just a matter of cashing out and becoming rich. You are not rich unless you are in control of the wealth and have a say over whether or not it gets taken from you. I would be hesitant about storing anything over $100k in a bank account with everything the way it is. Currently, it is a wonder whether it would actually more safe to keep your wealth in bitcoin and ride out the inevitable crash and recovery rather than put it in a bank and risk losing it.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:34:41 PM

Define greed. Is holding your BTC because you believe it has much more potential greed? I call cashing out an action of greed, where you want to take your fiat money afraid that bitcoin will lose value. That's the true greed.

i am satoshi
flyhouse (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:34:50 PM

Well here it's a question of psychology- the terminal stages of a bubble are driven wholly by greed and unreal expectations. I myself have in the past made some really questionable investments in stocks in the last possible moment and regretted that I didn't get to know what I'm doing before I do it. I see many people in this position here today- they have great expectations, but as this market is driven by a finite supply of fiat which will eventually dry up- it's more than obvious that prices will fall. Some day they will shoot up again and so on...
flyhouse (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:36:17 PM

Define greed. Is holding your BTC because you believe it has much more potential greed? I call cashing out an action of greed, where you want to take your fiat money afraid that bitcoin will lose value. That's the true greed.
Greed is buying and selling speculatively, waiting for the price to go further. And since more of the traders are doing it with this in mind, it goes up. When their cash dries out, what do we do?
wopwop

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:36:58 PM

Greed is buying and selling speculatively, waiting for the price to go further. And since more of the traders are doing it with this in mind, it goes up. When their cash dries out, what do we do?
We sheit our pants
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:38:56 PM

Aww, I'm not greedy.  I just want enough money to live off of for the rest of my life, that's all.

I hear this magical number is supposed to be around a million.  ONE MILLION DOLLARS HERE I COME YEEHAW

flyhouse (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:40:02 PM

Aww, I'm not greedy.  I just want enough money to live off of for the rest of my life, that's all.

I hear this magical number is supposed to be around a million.  ONE MILLION DOLLARS HERE I COME YEEHAW

Same as what the greeks wanted. Now they be working and sheit  Grin Grin Grin
XXthetimeisnowXX

Activity: 252

a wolf in sheeps clothing. suckerfish

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:40:28 PM

Tough call, from even the slightest conventional point of view.

The bitcoin market is a market like any other - yes.

But bitcoin itself is a new thing.

I think nobody knows.  We're flying on guts here - you got 'em or you don't...

ill second that
randrace

Activity: 329

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:41:22 PM

Spend them on goods and services!
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:41:41 PM

Greeks didn't have Bitcoin Wink

flyhouse (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:42:56 PM

Greeks didn't have Bitcoin Wink

Yeah, they had Goldman Sachs to help them  Cool
flyhouse (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:43:44 PM

Spend them on goods and services!
That's exactly my point. But it can only happen in a stable market.
randrace

Activity: 329

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:46:58 PM

Nah, we're spending them now.
scarce

Activity: 29

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:52:22 PM

Normally, I would have to agree. It's definitely greed (or let's say belief in making a good investment decision) that people do say that BTC will surely hit $1,000 and preferably as soon as possible. But in the case of bitcoin, this really can happen independently from what people say or not. And I believe there are some people that do say it purely because of fundamentals+intuition (and intuition, even though is highly irrational, is proven to be very important for every successful investor).

So normally, I would have to agree, but in bitcoin discussion, imho it has no sense to point it out really.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: