Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:09:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Greed makes the world go round  (Read 3829 times)
nicolazza

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 10:04:04 PM

But some people should stop being greedy and look at how BTC can benefit them and the people around them in the long run.
Long term greedy is still greedy. Wink

Like the socky said, Greed is good.

You name it, probably wasn't greed. Facebook, Internet, Google, whatever.
Facebook: Built to make money. GREED
Internet: Built to insure government structure would survive nuclear attack. Not greed, something much worse: lust for power.
Google: Built to make money. GREED
Bitcoin: Built to literally make money. GREED

a-greed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gordonium

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:14:02 PM

You name it, probably wasn't greed. Facebook, Internet, Google, whatever.
Facebook: Built to make money. GREED
Internet: Built to insure government structure would survive nuclear attack. Not greed, something much worse: lust for power.
Google: Built to make money. GREED
Bitcoin: Built to literally make money. GREED

Exactly what I meant.
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 11:40:38 PM

I don't believe Facebook or Google was started with the intent to make money, although I'm sure they thought it could be a potential byproduct if their ideas panned out. Nor was the internet (WWW specifically). And most certainly, neither was bitcoin. Just because something might occur as a consequence of an endeavor does not make it the motivation for said endeavor. But I'm more than certain we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Elon Krusky
pretendo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 11:42:20 PM

Fear is a more powerful emotion than greed. If a crash occurs, it will be temporary and not as deep as the original crash (which was caused by mass hackings/scams that came to light)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 11:50:12 PM

I don't believe Facebook or Google was started with the intent to make money, although I'm sure they thought it could be a potential byproduct if their ideas panned out. Nor was the internet (WWW specifically). And most certainly, neither was bitcoin. Just because something might occur as a consequence of an endeavor does not make it the motivation for said endeavor. But I'm more than certain we'll just have to agree to disagree.
How, exactly, is "I'm gonna make a new currency" not setting out to make money?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 11:59:19 PM

True capitalism creates a productive society based upon the knowledge that greed is a human trait.

Other social structures try to exist by suppressing greed.

Sort of like religions trying to suppress other human traits  to fit their own social structure.

I prefer to allow my own humanity to thrive.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Crazy

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:09:18 AM

Well, one scenario? I don't keep any of the "new currency."

I think people in this thread are conflating greed, with a desire to attain financial security through hard work and productivity. The difference between the two is probably pragmatism, humility, and respect for their fellow man*. But I'm no philosopher.

Elon Krusky
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 12:21:17 AM

Well, one scenario? I don't keep any of the "new currency."
Satoshi was mining right along with the rest of them in the early days.

I think people in this thread are conflating greed, with a desire to attain financial security through hard work and productivity.
Greed is humanity's natural desire to better themselves. Sometimes financially.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Crazy

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:34:07 AM

Mining and verifying is necessary for this protocol to function. And beside, you asked for a scenario. I gave you one.

That's not greed. Reacquaint yourself with the definition ASAP.

Elon Krusky
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 12:48:19 AM

Mining and verifying is necessary for this protocol to function. And beside, you asked for a scenario. I gave you one.
So, it was necessary that he make money. You're not helping your case, here.

Like the man said, for lack of a better word. Unless you have a better word for that desire?

flyhouse (OP)

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 05:41:34 AM

I don't hold BTC, I have investments in other places. I want to see BTC become something stable before I buy into it. I'm not bearish, I am a realist.

There have been no other investment even remotely close to bitcoin in the last four years. So I guess that makes you a bad investor, sorry

Really? And how many other things have you invested in? I think that BTC started being like no other investment about a month ago. Before that most of you here weren't so sure that it had such a $$$-future. Now that the price is over the roof, everybody is starting to see new cars and houses with the 10-100-1000 BTC that they hold. That's greed.

Greed is also consuming massive amounts of oil, as opposed to renewable energy sources, which are being suppressed by Big Oil. Greed is also medical marijuana being suppressed by Big Pharma. Greed is getting a $1000 check for a simple doctor's visit, with courtesy of the Med's Cartel. Greed is about getting more and more money, and that's what a lot of people here want. They don't give a f**k about BTC- they just wanna see the price rise and rise and make a profit out of it, telling themselves and everybody else some far-fetched stories that a lot of people are into it now, it's the future and so on(FUNDAMENTALS, as they call it).

And I don't think that's what BTC is about- i personally see it next to renewable energy, alternative medicines and free people(not the slaves that most have become- slave to the bank, slave to the government, slaves to their corporations where they work).
Bitcoin is freedom- freedom to choose when and where you'll transact with who. Without having to feed giant banks and corporations for transactions and having corrupt government officials breathing down your neck.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 05:58:17 AM

Bitcoin is freedom- freedom to choose when and where you'll transact with who. Without having to feed giant banks and corporations for transactions and having corrupt government officials breathing down your neck.

Exactly. And that is worth a hell of a lot, to a hell of a lot of people. THERE's yer "fundamentals."

flyhouse (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 06:00:56 AM

Exactly. And that is worth a hell of a lot, to a hell of a lot of people. THERE's yer "fundamentals."

Well, if they are the fundamentals, I only see speculators here. That's my point- I don't see real people wanting real freedom, just a lotta people wanting quick buck. And that will hurt BTC, but after them I think that the fundamentals will come.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 06:03:18 AM

Well, if they are the fundamentals, I only see speculators here.

Perhaps because you're in the SPECULATION subforum.

Come visit the politics and society boards, then you'll see the people wanting the freedom.

flyhouse (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 06:11:23 AM

Come visit the politics and society boards, then you'll see the people wanting the freedom.
You're right  Grin But those speculators are hurting our freedom!  Huh
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 06:15:21 AM

You're right  Grin But those speculators are hurting our freedom!  Huh
Nah. Just riding our coat-tails.

Geddi

Activity: 98

It's the muffins that must be stopped.

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 09:01:51 AM

Are you sure? Wasn't it built around scientific research (CERN) and Military communications? 'Government structure' as in social security, taxes, police etc are as rigid as banks in adopting new technology.

True. Greed is (for me) the desire to better yourself while [not caring about] worsening others

myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 03:26:40 PM

Are you sure? Wasn't it built around scientific research (CERN) and Military communications? 'Government structure' as in social security, taxes, police etc are as rigid as banks in adopting new technology.
"Government structure" is not the social programs, nor even the police force. That's just the stuff they provide to keep you from shoving their heads in nooses. Government structure is the chain of command. And that is what the internet was built to maintain.

True. Greed is (for me) the desire to better yourself while [not caring about] worsening others
No, that's irresponsible greed.

xylop

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 09:00:57 AM

You mark my words, greed, for lack of a better word, is good.
http://mypamperedpupz.com/January_Newsletter_MyPamperedPupz.com_files/christian-bale-american-psycho-gif-i7.gif
Geddi

Activity: 98

It's the muffins that must be stopped.

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 09:09:52 AM

Government structure is the chain of command. And that is what the internet was built to maintain.
Hmmm.... We could build a whole new conspiracy theory on that one  Wink

No, that's irresponsible greed.
click
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: