Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:58:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any CPU mineable coin that it is profitable?  (Read 12632 times)
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1363

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 05:42:55 PM

Do you happen to know of any cryptocurrency that it is only mineable with a CPU, and also being the most profitable nowadays?

I've been mining Coin Magi, but due to its algorithm, (in which the more hashrate the network has, the less reward) it somewhat limits the ability to profit from it at all.

I have an Intel Core i5 3rd generation CPU with 4 cores, installed on a spare desktop PC that I have at my place. So, I would like to know which CPU mineable coin would you recommend me, to make a profit from it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Smiley

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
CryptoHobo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 05:49:51 PM

Doubt it. The cost of running the pc will outweigh the rewards. There's however a few you could mine and hold that may increase in value.
target
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1041

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 06:19:20 PM

Are coins mineable with CPU worth mining considering the electricity cost?

█████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
CjMapope
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092

~Full-Time Minter since 2016~

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2016, 06:31:42 PM

ya to actually  make some profit off CPU mining is hard nowadays :/

-you will have to do the maths. figure out power draw of processor and calculate 100% usage +/-10% over 30 days costs. figure out what your break even point is 1st
-you will have to prob rely on mentioned above hold for price rise, or some other form of smart LONG TERM use to get profits from CPU mining.
I remember when i started mining a while ago i used to mine BCN with minergate then trade it at Eobot for S5 (now S9) GHS. A LONG and tedious process that broke even over 6 months but ended up with hashpower i could use atleast ;p
-Luck.  Maybe solo mine some coins, tho again, you will have to upfront the power costs to take the risks :/

good luck! Smiley

~Got this girl in my bed, a roof over my head, i mint a couple coins a week, and thats how i make bread~
~On the 12th day of Hatzvah, OGminer said to me: "compute root of the merkle hash tree!"~
Prohashing  -- Simply the best Multipool!
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 07:04:08 PM

It's not profitable for multiple reasons. There are not a lot of coins that are cpu-only mined. For ones that are, your CPU needs to be A LOT efficient but problem with that is that efficient CPUs are not a lot powerful (if we exclude new Itel skylake with great TDP, but cost makes them unprofitable). Even if you find CPU like that price on exchange will just kill your profit so I would avoid CPU-only mining in general at this point.
Rusmintan

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 08:00:33 PM

Are coins mineable with CPU worth mining considering the electricity cost?

The Monero is profitable to mine with CPU if you use the PC for other purpose as well. Otherwise it is not profitable if you consider the system power consumption.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 10:40:51 PM

Doubt it. The cost of running the pc will outweigh the rewards. There's however a few you could mine and hold that may increase in value.

Yes, I've thought so. But still, it may be fun to mine some of these coins and store them in a paper wallet for future use. Maybe someday, when the price of the coin increases I would've earned a decent profit.  Roll Eyes

-you will have to do the maths. figure out power draw of processor and calculate 100% usage +/-10% over 30 days costs. figure out what your break even point is 1st
-you will have to prob rely on mentioned above hold for price rise, or some other form of smart LONG TERM use to get profits from CPU mining.
I remember when i started mining a while ago i used to mine BCN with minergate then trade it at Eobot for S5 (now S9) GHS. A LONG and tedious process that broke even over 6 months but ended up with hashpower i could use atleast ;p
-Luck.  Maybe solo mine some coins, tho again, you will have to upfront the power costs to take the risks :/

good luck! Smiley

Thanks for the tip. While CPU mining is not that efficient, GPU is, but I'm looking more into CPU coins, as it the most accessible and common way to mine cryptocurrencies. I've tried mining several CPU coins but I've ended up wasting more power than profiting at all. Still, I'm going to try this on a college PC, as I've got nothing to lose by mining cryptocurrencies there.  Grin

It's not profitable for multiple reasons. There are not a lot of coins that are cpu-only mined. For ones that are, your CPU needs to be A LOT efficient but problem with that is that efficient CPUs are not a lot powerful (if we exclude new Itel skylake with great TDP, but cost makes them unprofitable). Even if you find CPU like that price on exchange will just kill your profit so I would avoid CPU-only mining in general at this point.

Thanks for the advice mate. I will take that into consideration. In the meantime, I will stick to mine Coin Magi, as it is one of my favorite cryptocurrencies to mine due to its unique algorithm, which prevents mining centralization. Most of all it is a hybrid coin, so I could earn more with the coins I mine by holding and staking them into my wallet.  Smiley

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 10:49:57 PM

Yes, I've thought so. But still, it may be fun to mine some of these coins and store them in a paper wallet for future use. Maybe someday, when the price of the coin increases I would've earned a decent profit.  Roll Eyes

good luck! Smiley

Thanks for the tip. While CPU mining is not that efficient, GPU is, but I'm looking more into CPU coins, as it the most accessible and common way to mine cryptocurrencies. I've tried mining several CPU coins but I've ended up wasting more power than profiting at all. Still, I'm going to try this on a college PC, as I've got nothing to lose by mining cryptocurrencies there.  Grin

Thanks for the advice mate. I will take that into consideration. In the meantime, I will stick to mine Coin Magi, as it is one of my favorite cryptocurrencies to mine due to its unique algorithm, which prevents mining centralization. Most of all it is a hybrid coin, so I could earn more with the coins I mine by holding and staking them into my wallet.  Smiley

You can do that, but then you are not mining for profit, you are investing into coins future. That is actually a very good thing to do with cpu mineanble coins.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 08:20:34 PM

You can do that, but then you are not mining for profit, you are investing into coins future. That is actually a very good thing to do with cpu mineanble coins.

Yeah it's the least I could do while I find a better solution to mine coins more efficiently via the use of more expensive hardware. I have at least one AMD Radeon R9 GPU to mine ETC, but sometimes I think it is not enough, thus I would need several GPUs to really earn some profit with it.

As CPUs are more accesible to mine with it anywhere, it is probably the best way to ensure mining decentralization of a cryptocurrency. One coin that I have found interesting to mine nowadays, has been Hodlcoin. The fact that you can mine it with your CPU, as well as earn some extra coins by just saving or "hodling" them into your wallet, makes it a plus for anyone interested into mining with a CPU.

Nevertheless, if you or anyone else have any other CPU mineable coin that is worth looking into, then please let me know.  Smiley

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
PanneKopp

Activity: 391
Merit: 250

aka ...

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 09:01:33 PM

Do only think about (XMR actually) that, if you can put a 20% Fee (Load)
on a running (idle) Linux-Hosts without paying for the energy.

... anything else will give you no ROI (I surely know any kind of CPU, even the ones, you actually can´t buy yet).

Wink PanneKopp

P.S. you shouldn´t do that, without the permission of the owner/operator

... please make an educated guess !
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 02:12:29 AM

Do only think about (XMR actually) that, if you can put a 20% Fee (Load)
on a running (idle) Linux-Hosts without paying for the energy.

... anything else will give you no ROI (I surely know any kind of CPU, even the ones, you actually can´t buy yet).

Wink PanneKopp

P.S. you shouldn´t do that, without the permission of the owner/operator

Thanks for the advice, mate. I will take it into consideration when mining with CPU. XMR has been one of the coins that have gained my attention for CPU mining, due to its underlying technology for anonymous transactions which I think that could prove itself to be a viable alternative than ZCash's Zero Knowledge Proof.

Since I plan to mine CPU coins to save them up for the future, there should be nothing to lose. I hope to gather a list of all CPU mineable coins available to educate others about cryptocurrency mining.  Roll Eyes

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
MissCrypto

Activity: 945
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 02:53:01 AM

I mine bytecent https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=999498.0

But mining it from your college's computer will probably get you banned from the network.

|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ |
Amph
Legendary

Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 06:57:28 AM

monero is once again profitable, just mine that, a 470 can do 850hash with proper miner, it's the best choice for now
PovertyByte

Activity: 420

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 07:26:07 AM

I am losing money mining XMR by CPU right now but it's technically a room heater that returns some profit. My computer while not using it for anything else is actually nearly perfect for maintaining my room temperature right now for the season

I think that some AMD CPU's are OK for mining. At the most I would add CPU mining to an already standing mining rig rather than just invest in a bunch of computers for CPU mining only
Rupucers

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 07:39:26 AM

It really depends on electricity price. Everything is profitable if you aren't paying for it :)Like other said you should look at Monero and see its calcs.
PanneKopp

Activity: 391

aka ...

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 08:04:40 AM
Last edit: December 28, 2016, 09:43:49 AM by PanneKopp

Intel Core i5 4570 3.2GHz gives you about ~121H/s "cryptonight" using 3 threads
with NiceHash Miner v1.7.3.11 running on Win7_64

which is about 0.20 EUR a DAY (in BTC at current prices) !

Use your Wattmeter (@ wall) and do the math.

Wink

... please make an educated guess !
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 10:42:08 AM

I mine bytecent https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=999498.0

But mining it from your college's computer will probably get you banned from the network.

Great.Thanks for the tip. In my case the college's access point is open (with no credentials required to join the network) so anyone outside college can access the same. If I get banned at some time from the network, I can always try changing IP, spoofing MAC, or any other methods to bypass it.

But, up to this date, I have been mining cryptocurrencies with college computers, without being banned from the network so I guess that I'm making free money in my spare time.

By the way, Bytecent looks really worth a try for this task, so I will consider it when doing mining at college.  Smiley

Intel Core i5 4570 3.2GHz gives you about ~121H/s "cryptonight" using 3 threads
with NiceHash Miner v1.7.3.11 running on Win7_64

which is about 0.20 EUR a DAY (in BTC at current prices) !

Use your Wattmeter (@ wall) and do the math.

Wink

Thanks for sharing the results obtained with an Intel Core i5 CPU. Even though 0.20 EUR is not that much a day, at least it is fun to try out the process with any cryptonote cryptocurrency like XMR and save those coins in a paper wallet for safe keeping in the future.

I'll order a wattmeter to help me track power usage, as it one of the things that I missed having for my mining setup.  Wink

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
albama

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 11:19:30 AM

Do you happen to know of any cryptocurrency that it is only mineable with a CPU, and also being the most profitable nowadays?

I've been mining Coin Magi, but due to its algorithm, (in which the more hashrate the network has, the less reward) it somewhat limits the ability to profit from it at all.

I have an Intel Core i5 3rd generation CPU with 4 cores, installed on a spare desktop PC that I have at my place. So, I would like to know which CPU mineable coin would you recommend me, to make a profit from it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Smiley

I think it's unprofitable with this CPU. Just think about the electricity and the value of computer .
If you have free electricity, you can mine monero, zcoin ... these coins are suitable for CPU mining.
Rupucers

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 10:34:33 PM

Or secretly install soft for minning on some companies servers. Most of time these are barely used Smiley nobody will see you minning Smiley
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2017, 12:34:54 AM

most virus protection (especially corporate setups) will detect the miner as unwanted and probably not allow this at all....

I would suggest looking at cpu's like Intel L5335... The TDP is quite low for being a quad core...  I even ran the CPU algos on my SLAED models (same as L5335, but 3.0Ghz and not an L-series) and they performed quite well, but the power draw went up quite a bit.

CPU mining is hard to be profitable when you pay for your own power.  The only machines that truly make good use if the power are multiple processor machines due to the fact that the overhead power consumption is less than if you has separate machines per-cpu.

Even the SOC type CPU's or ultra low power mobile CPU's just don't make enough alone to justify running them when power is paid for.  The figures just don't add up to anything but a negative....

if you are paying .03c/kwh, then by all means, mine with anything you can....

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: