I`m not 100% sure, but if every transaction is in block and every client have to download all blocks then we can always restore our account?
I imagine it this way:
- there is private key and corresponding btc adress
- any transaction need to be signed by sender using his priv key
- if receiver is not online transaction is done anyway - saved in block
- when receiver went online client is updating blocks and adding money to wallet
So, we can
- create own address like it is described there: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25804.0
- add generated priv key do wallet
- send some 0.01 to "activate" address in network
Then we can DELETE wallet.dat and when we need this BTC`s we just import priv key and client will "find" all BTC`s are on it?
Just keep priv key in safe place
Ie crypt plain txt file and save on usb, send to friend, dropbox, anything. Just use STRONG password and not forget it
Because method from https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=8091.0
is not working on crypted wallet i made a simple application using one function from NamecoinGUI https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=48737.0
It is using RPC calls to read private key from wallet and import new address to wallet.
Bitcoin client NEED to be running!
Just need to fill fields and unlock wallet.
After unlock you can read privkey of your address or add new address entering generated privkey.
App is NOT saving anything on disk and NOT sending any data away.
Importing new key takes some time! Be patient and not kill app nor bitcoin client!
I posted app in thread:http://forum.bitcoin.pl/zrob-sobie-swoj-adres-btc-np-1dupa1e1yyv3eerafrpayqcn8xg2us-t2607-20.html
Link to attachment:http://forum.bitcoin.pl/download/file.php?id=146