Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 12:56:50 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Single BFL 5 GH/s ASIC worth it?  (Read 10746 times)
ErebusBat (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 03:23:06 PM

FOREMOST: I am aware of the shipping issues BFL is having, so please no replys like 'No because you won't get it'  This assumes that BFL will deliver.

With the recent increase in bitcoin prices I am seriously considering picking up some hashing power; however I was wondering if it would be worth it.   I have never mined before, though I am highly technical (not worried about setting it up or running it).  What I am worried about are things I know I don't know, and the things I don't know I don't know.

For example.... if you put 5 GH/s into a mining calculator today the return is great; however I would not get mine until most ASICs have shipped, I have no idea what to do for a difficulty estimate.  I don't really care about the USD from mining, what I really want is to just set it up and have it generate some bitcoins over the long term for me.  What I don't want is for 5GH to become like a single GPU card that really doesn't make it worth it.

So my question:  Would purchasing a single 5 GH/s ASIC be worth it?

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 03:37:08 PM

FOREMOST: I am aware of the shipping issues BFL is having, so please no replys like 'No because you won't get it'  This assumes that BFL will deliver.

With the recent increase in bitcoin prices I am seriously considering picking up some hashing power; however I was wondering if it would be worth it.   I have never mined before, though I am highly technical (not worried about setting it up or running it).  What I am worried about are things I know I don't know, and the things I don't know I don't know.

For example.... if you put 5 GH/s into a mining calculator today the return is great; however I would not get mine until most ASICs have shipped, I have no idea what to do for a difficulty estimate.  I don't really care about the USD from mining, what I really want is to just set it up and have it generate some bitcoins over the long term for me.  What I don't want is for 5GH to become like a single GPU card that really doesn't make it worth it.

So my question:  Would purchasing a single 5 GH/s ASIC be worth it?

It is worth it to us, in comedic value.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
ErebusBat (OP)

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 03:37:54 PM

It is worth it to us, in comedic value.
Thank you for that helpful post.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
chipd

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 03:47:53 PM

If mining is not profitable, no one will mine. If no one is mining, no new transactions can be maid...
Did you take into account the transaction fees in your calculation?
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 03:51:03 PM

Anyway you cut it, it will be risky. 

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
ErebusBat (OP)

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:07:16 PM

I am more asking for opinions on difficulty I guess.  I just don't know enough to speculate.  Assuming that BFL delivers then we know that ASICs will hit and the difficulty will surge.  I just don't know what is a reasonable guestimate for it.

Like I said I am not concerned about the exchange rate, other than the fact that it is so high I wouldn't have to part with that many coins to order the device. 

However if it is going to take years to even generate the coin back then it isn't a good investment.

Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 04:13:24 PM

Play around on the calculator with difficulties.   Try 30,000,000 - 50,000,000 - 100,000,000 and see how you feel then.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:14:55 PM

I am more asking for opinions on difficulty I guess.  I just don't know enough to speculate.  Assuming that BFL delivers then we know that ASICs will hit and the difficulty will surge.  I just don't know what is a reasonable guestimate for it.

Like I said I am not concerned about the exchange rate, other than the fact that it is so high I wouldn't have to part with that many coins to order the device. 

However if it is going to take years to even generate the coin back then it isn't a good investment.

If they deliver tomorrow, and BTC goes to $10000 it is an AWESOME DEAL because now you are rich.
If they deliver in 6 months and BTC goes to $10000 it is a TERRIBLE DEAL because you could have bought BTC instead.
If they deliver in 6 months, but the product is crap and burns out after 2 weeks of mining because they are amateurs and have no idea how to build complex electronic equipment it is a TERRIBLE DEAL
If they deliver tomorrow, but the product is crap and burns out after 2 weeks of mining because they are amateurs and have no idea how to build complex electronic equipment it is an ever so slightly less TERRIBLE DEAL.

Of course, the elephant in the room is that they may never deliver at all. But you declared that the elephant is not to be considered because it is large and gray.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
ErebusBat (OP)

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:19:43 PM

That is my point... I don't know what is a reasonable difficulty to plug in which i why I am asking people with more knowledge on the matter.

30m,50m,100m are those 'valid' estimates?

Of course, the elephant in the room is that they may never deliver at all. But you declared that the elephant is not to be considered because it is large and gray.

That literally made me LOL.  I am aware of the elephant; however the question I asked myself months ago:  "Would I be willing to risk X coins on this?"  the answer was no, no I wasn't.

However today I might be willing to risk 1.5 coins that they will deliver..... assuming that I won't be mining 0.000001 coins a day when it comes, which i what I am asking.  I understand that no one really knows what the difficulty will be (esp because the hash rates of the ASICs have be 'adjusted'); however I know that there are smarter people than I who have extrapolated these things and have some sort or reasonable number that I can plug in and better make the decision.

qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3413

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 05:05:00 PM

The one thing you should keep in mind:

You'll be very far down the line with your order.
Expect your miner to be delivered after ALL the other people already have theirs up and running.
Expect difficulty to have increased accordingly.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
ErebusBat (OP)

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 05:10:29 PM

The one thing you should keep in mind:

You'll be very far down the line with your order.
Expect your miner to be delivered after ALL the other people already have theirs up and running.
Expect difficulty to have increased accordingly.

I know (sounds like July at the earliest)... that is why I am trying to find out exactly what a reasonable value is to account for.

pyromaniac

Activity: 639

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 05:37:15 PM

If they deliver tomorrow, and BTC goes to $10000 it is an AWESOME DEAL because now you are rich.
If they deliver in 6 months and BTC goes to $10000 it is a TERRIBLE DEAL because you could have bought BTC instead.
If they deliver in 6 months, but the product is crap and burns out after 2 weeks of mining because they are amateurs and have no idea how to build complex electronic equipment it is a TERRIBLE DEAL
If they deliver tomorrow, but the product is crap and burns out after 2 weeks of mining because they are amateurs and have no idea how to build complex electronic equipment it is an ever so slightly less TERRIBLE DEAL.

Can I continue?
If they deliver in 6 month and BTC price goes down to $1.99 it is a TERRIBLE DEAL because you buy something to get almost nothing.
If they deliver in 6 month, but BTC become illegal at that time,  it is a TERRIBLE DEAL because you got absolutely useless hardware which, unlike GPU, could not be used for your personal needs or sold to somebody else.

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:17:04 PM

Can I continue?
If they deliver in 6 month and BTC price goes down to $1.99 it is a TERRIBLE DEAL because you buy something to get almost nothing.
If they deliver in 6 month, but BTC become illegal at that time,  it is a TERRIBLE DEAL because you got absolutely useless hardware which, unlike GPU, could not be used for your personal needs or sold to somebody else.

Ah but if BTC becomes illegal the 5GH unit will become a museum piece as a crime against humanity  Tongue
Marrs

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:58:00 PM

Ah but if BTC becomes illegal the 5GH unit will become a museum piece as a crime against humanity  Tongue

Or evidence in your trial...

When BTC are outlawed, only outlaws will mine BTC!
StringTheory

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

Making Sense of Things

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:21:05 AM

You will be order ~#40,000 and your tiny unit will be the lowest of the low priority...  This doesn't seem to stop many people though...  So what do I know.

Successful Transactions: jayson3 +1
mco65

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 12:28:02 AM

my 2 cents. the biggest winners are those that take the biggest risks..
$250 is not a big risk.. go for the 10k version.  Smiley
hardpick

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

Football President

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 12:31:17 AM

The network hash rate is about 68 TH  today you would get about 0.33 btc per day ---
when avalon delivers  would expect the network to be at about 200 TH and your rig will
produce 0.09 BTC  per day---  when BFL come on line the will add about 562 TH to the network  ie
network will be around 762 TH your rig will mine at about 0.0236 BTC per day  --- I think you need a bigger mining rig
ErebusBat (OP)

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:34:11 AM

The network hash rate is about 68 TH  today you would get about 0.33 btc per day ---
when avalon delivers  would expect the network to be at about 200 TH and your rig will
produce 0.09 BTC  per day---  if / when BFL come on line the will add about 562 TH to the network  ie
network will be around 762 TH your rig will mine at about 0.0236 BTC per day  --- I think you need a bigger mining rig
THANK YOU!!!

This is exactly what I was looking for.   Back when prices were at $266 then this wasn't a big deal... Just plug in and let it run, pays more that my mining contracts. 

What difficulty do those hash speeds translate to?

solareclipse64236

Activity: 392

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:39:02 AM

around $50-60 per gigahash

that means the 1.5 terahash machine will be around $60,000 now

hardpick

Activity: 265

Football President

View Profile WWW