Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:19:10 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin: The Decentralized Currency with a Centralized Exchange!  (Read 2198 times)
rat (OP)

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 07:32:55 PM

ZOMGWTF!
superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 07:41:04 PM

that is the biggest point of fail

ok
bitlancr

Activity: 616

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 07:49:16 PM

I'm watching this with dismay. Surely Mt Gox has lost all credibility now.
mmeijeri

Activity: 714

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 07:59:07 PM

I'm hoping Ripple will help with that. However, to use Ripple you need XRP, and I haven't been able to buy any. Maybe once the meltdown is over.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
virtualmaster

Activity: 504

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:09:38 PM

I'm hoping Ripple will help with that. However, to use Ripple you need XRP, and I haven't been able to buy any. Maybe once the meltdown is over.
Ripple cannot help more than namecoin, litecoin, ppcoin or teracoin.
They must build their own exchange network to could help and the same with ripple.
Many beleave that ripple can help because it is very confusing and nobody really understands it. Yes. You can exchange your BTC to debts or to ripple. But who would give you bitcoins for debts or ripple ?

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
tlr

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:18:30 PM

I don't think we need a truly decentralized exchange (in the way that Bitcoin itself is decentralized), we just need several competing individual exchanges that are fast and reliable enough that people can arbitrage them.

What we need to do is build a fast, robust, extremely secure, open-source exchange, with a standardized API that traders can plug into to easily arbitrage.
dawn

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:29:30 PM

I'm getting all my funds back this moment. MtGox is too unprofessional at all (tought they've learned their lesson when they got hacked).  I'm damn sure I can protect my funds better than they are able to. I'm wondering how long payouts are possible... A lot people will do the same I think.

0.011BTC/GH contract for 5 years !!!!!: >>Get it now! (weekly payouts)<< Got my 5th weekly payout
wksantiago

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:33:37 PM

I don't think we need a truly decentralized exchange (in the way that Bitcoin itself is decentralized), we just need several competing individual exchanges that are fast and reliable enough that people can arbitrage them.

What we need to do is build a fast, robust, extremely secure, open-source exchange, with a standardized API that traders can plug into to easily arbitrage.

Agree 100%

If my posts has been helpful, thank me here:
BTC: bc1qp0xtvck64qhvg6man0fjgy2jl3l6vwkctngjc4
Bitrated user: wksantiago.
(PGP Fingerprint: 2199 0685 3d0f 29eb f0aa 40a5 1cd9 d426 66ae a802)
bitlancr

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:54:48 PM

Great idea, and technically it shouldn't be difficult - but the difficulty is taking/receiving fiat payments...
Eri

Activity: 264

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 09:06:14 PM

I'm getting all my funds back this moment. MtGox is too unprofessional at all (tought they've learned their lesson when they got hacked).  I'm damn sure I can protect my funds better than they are able to. I'm wondering how long payouts are possible... A lot people will do the same I think.

you dont seem to know whats going on, lots of people are just buying and selling bitcoins which creates lag. even if a ddos is happening at the same time it doesnt affect your money, its still secure. (atleast, its no more or less secure then usual.)
mmeijeri

Activity: 714

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 09:09:30 PM

That's what Ripple will be. So far, only the client has been open-sourced, but the server will follow.

Great idea, and technically it shouldn't be difficult - but the difficulty is taking/receiving fiat payments...

Ripple does that by trading in IOUs between nodes in a trust graph, with credit limits on each edge in the graph, and leaving settlement to individuals that have a trust relationship.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 09:26:20 PM

Things like Ripple and:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145389.0

should make bitcoin exchanges decentralized. The markets should match the money to prevent things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fvSYT7vhQY
dawn

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 09:32:02 PM

That's what Ripple will be. So far, only the client has been open-sourced, but the server will follow.

Ripple does that by trading in IOUs between nodes in a trust graph, with credit limits on each edge in the graph, and leaving settlement to individuals that have a trust relationship.

I got your point, but in my opinion, it shows very detailed how unprofessional they handle at least this technical stuff (I'm an IT guy too, this wouldn't so hard to handle...), I'm feeling very bad about the security of my bitcoins at mtgox. I think it's much saver to hold the most by my own wallet and if I need to trade, I choose localbitcoins or something like this.

0.011BTC/GH contract for 5 years !!!!!: >>Get it now! (weekly payouts)<< Got my 5th weekly payout
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:50:35 PM

http://www.localbitcoins.com

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:56:07 PM

It is still under the control of a few people; whoever owns localbitcoins dot com. That is not decentralized, but it is an improvement.
gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:03:53 AM

Centalized MtGox is the bottleneck of the decentralized Bitcoin!

We must invent an decentralized exchange!
deadweasel

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:04:10 AM

Centalized MtGox is the bottleneck of the decentralized Bitcoin!

We must invent an decentralized exchange!

+1

bitlancr

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:05:24 AM

If we could separate out the handling of fiat from the exchanges, and provide the handling of fiat as a service, then exchanges would be easy to build (with off the shelf open source software, as suggested).

This 'fiat handling service' would maintain bank accounts in all the countries it operates. End users deposit into these bank accounts, and the appropriate exchange account is credited with fiat. The exchange is notified, and the user's account on the exchange is credited.

So to use a dirty word, this service would be a kind of 'central bank' to the exchanges. Of course, there's no reason why it would hold a monopoly, though.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:07:03 AM

I'm in agreement; a decentralized currency needs a decentralized exchange.

So how do we do it?

gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:08:45 AM

I'm in agreement; a decentralized currency needs a decentralized exchange.

So how do we do it?

I described the template for this p2p exchange here: please add ideas for the functionality

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=172705.0
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: