Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:51:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox should roll back  (Read 3239 times)
MikeH (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 07:59:30 PM
Last edit: April 10, 2013, 09:28:42 PM by MikeH

seriously, this wasn't a bubble pop - it was a DDoS attack - roll back and it would make a statement that you won't take bitcoin down with these kind of attacks.

do nothing and the media will have a field day and bitcoin will take a long time to recover..

then of course MtGox needs to do something about it - halt trading at a certain level of lag or something!

even those who bought cheap coins shouldn't be against this, as long as they already held a few.

---

edit:  I've changed my mind, as long as we keep rallying, we may be better off without a roll back - however painful that was.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cjspiller28

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:12:14 PM

Well the DDoS explanation does make more sense than any other right now.
Evan

Activity: 507
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:21:03 PM

seriously, this wasn't a bubble pop - it was a DDoS attack - roll back and it would make a statement that you won't take bitcoin down with these kind of attacks.

do nothing and the media will have a field day and bitcoin will take a long time to recover..

then of course MtGox needs to do something about it - halt trading at a certain level of lag or something!

even those who bought cheap coins shouldn't be against this, as long as they already held a few.

No, sir this was a bursting bubble.

have a great day.

I am poor, but i do work for Coin Smiley
1PtHcavXoakgNkQfEQdvnvEksEY2NvwaLM
jerkoff

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 09:38:17 PM

It shows the weakness of financial sites like exchanges written by hobbyists and trading by programmer-logic. For a programmer it's logical that if someone sells 100 coins and sweeps the book empty down to $120, while due to lag the sell side of the book starts at $180, that you can have people selling coins and getting $120 and others uying and paying $180 for them. That's how it is designed, they'll say.

Consumers won't stand for this bullshit though. They will demand reasonable prices, a trading stop on large moves, marking rates or the book as stale when they're too old. The real markets have those for a reason, you can't just build a site where being ddos'ed means you let the price run down from $200 to $1 (didn't happen today, but it could).
Evolvex

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:20:51 PM

I might be inclined to agree on this, I find it really worrisome that one of the major players in the bitcoin world is allowing this to happen week in, week out - they should of halted trading at the first sign of a DDOS attack. I'll not be using them for much longer.

Disclaimer: I lost a lot of money today due to the lag to my views may be bias.
pretendo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:47:47 PM

I didn't really lose anything. but MTGOX has prove itself as incompetent and unsuitable for transactions of this gravity. They really need to start acting responsible. I am switching exchanges ASAP
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:51:30 PM

Um, no way. It doesn't matter that this was an attack. No fake coins were sold. No accounts were hacked. (AFAWK)

A roll back would be a disaster, and pointless.
Gabriel

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:03:11 AM

IMHO the main problem is still simply the fact that MtGox is still too important.

Bitcoin should be all about decentralization if I'm not mistaken but MtGox still is a central point.

Should not be.

Of course, this can't really be helped I guess, as whenever mainstream media writes about Bitcoin, the only exchange they ever mention by name is MtGox, so that's where newbies will automatically go.

But older users should be more responsible and switch exchanges.

Also, MtGox itself should be more responsible and notify newbies about other exchanges. (I know, they are a business a too and this would likely be far too altruistic a move in a market environment, but still... might be worth considering, as surely they wouldn't like it either if the price would crash even lower...)

Or they could simply just split themselves into several smaller exchanges and name and perhaps even design these differently. They could of course still manage all of these themselves, but at least then there would also be more diversification.

Right now however, MtGox is The Bitcoin Exchange, whether we like it or not, and if MtGox takes a hit for any reason, the price will plummet.

So, to cut is short, serious work should be done already to reduce the importance of MtGox. It should simply be an exchange from the many, not The Single Exchange.

Still IMHO, of course.
InqBit

Activity: 27

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:34:17 AM

Victims of their own success, not a DDoS

https://mtgox.com/press_release_20130411.html
dego

Activity: 399

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:34:47 AM

Roll back? Nope. I bought the coins you sold at 130$... won't give em back...
Zedster

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:54:00 AM

This is funny nothing but newbs posting here.  Roll back an exchange? Are you listening to yourself? LOL

Christ I am very newb myself but I understand what we are going through is huge growing to pains.  Way too big, way too fast.

The biggest problem BTC is having atm is that Gox is running 80% of the trade (which they happily brag about). 

We need more competent exchanges, end of story.  All other exchanges are a joke, sadly.  I personally hate Gox has I think their interface is just terrible.  I am looking forward to kraken.com, it looks like it may be a very good attempt at competition to Gox.

I wish I had the money to back a new exchange with tools that were worth using and servers that won't choke.

Roll back an exchange ROFL!
MikeH (OP)

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:59:47 AM

MtGox have rolled back before dude.. I'm sure they'd be considering it if it hit $1 again.

cly

Activity: 26

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:33:25 AM

PLEAAAASSSE

Make MtGox Open source. So everybody can check the code, set up a trading market himself and take advantage from decentralized systems.

Thank you
Zedster

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:57:09 AM

MtGox have rolled back before dude.. I'm sure they'd be considering it if it hit $1 again.

Not with 20K people trading.
centove

Activity: 194

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:02:13 PM

One question...

If they roll back, how are they going to roll back the bitcoins sent out and confirmed to a non-mtgox address?

Give me Btc: 1BRkf5bwSVdGCyvu4SyYBiJjEjbNiAQoYd Mine on my node: http://ask.gxsnmp.org:9332/
Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:03:56 PM

Rollback? I see lawsuits coming.

MtGox is just too big for their own competence... If they were small player that might be okay, but as biggest...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 12:07:50 PM

Um, no way. It doesn't matter that this was an attack. No fake coins were sold. No accounts were hacked. (AFAWK)

A roll back would be a disaster, and pointless.
People were unable to cancel orders for extended periods of time. That's a pretty serious problem, IMO. Though I agree that a rollback isn't the solution.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
deadweasel

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:08:17 PM

---

edit:  I've changed my mind, as long as we keep rallying, we may be better off without a roll back - however painful that was.

I'm glad you've changed your tune.  MtGox is not the problem.  It's the people that continue to use it when they know they will not be able to trade when it really matters.  This is an unregulated market, so we cannot expect regulated behavior of exchanges.

Welcome to the wild west.  Sit back, stay a while.

ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:00:41 PM

PLEAAAASSSE

Make MtGox Open source. So everybody can check the code, set up a trading market himself and take advantage from decentralized systems.

Thank you
ANd how are you going to collect/payout fiat and handle AML laws?   

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
dg2010

Activity: 462

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:09:28 PM

MTGOX is a fucking joke.

Written and run by children with no fucking clue how to run a real business.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: