Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:48:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Block Explorer  (Read 29595 times)
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 07:45:56 PM

Looks like a bug:
 - https://blockexplorer.com/q/bcperblock/209999

Returns:

Should be 50.  The block with block height 210000 is the first at 25.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lucb1e

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 07:55:44 PM

I can see how my transactions are not 100% anonymous.
Why aren't they anonymous? I entered a random address of mine (which I have received btc on) to view the details, but there was nothing that I didn't already know was public (the address, amount and time).
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12976

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 04:25:17 PM

Looks like a bug:
 - https://blockexplorer.com/q/bcperblock/209999

Returns:

Should be 50.  The block with block height 210000 is the first at 25.

Fixed. I think this happened because I wrote that page a very long time ago when Bitcoin's getblockcount actually returned a count of the total number of blocks instead of the max block number.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 02:44:24 PM

This is not quite finalized yet, but I am planning on selling Bitcoin Block Explorer to Liraz Siri. I really would have liked to have kept running it, but as you've undoubtedly noticed I have not been able to add any new features to BBE or even fix bugs (such as the long-broken search feature) due to lack of time. Liraz seems trustworthy and genuinely interested in the project, so I feel pretty good about selling the site to him.

Previously I said that access logs would not be kept for longer than 30 days. I will no longer have control over that, though I will make sure that logs from before the sale are deleted.

Thanks for your support.

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 02:52:36 PM

Hey BBE was great. It was the first and is now totally overrun by blockchain.info. I hope that Liraz Siri is genuinely interested in competing with blockchain.info so we don't slide into a monopoly situation.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:49:17 PM

Hey BBE was great. It was the first and is now totally overrun by blockchain.info. I hope that Liraz Siri is genuinely interested in competing with blockchain.info so we don't slide into a monopoly situation.

Yes, that's one reason I'm selling it. Even if I devoted all of my time to BBE, I doubt I could compete with piuk. He's superhuman!

Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 09:05:37 PM

Thanks for your support.

Thank you for the years of service you've provided the community in this project.  I've been using BBE for a lot longer than I've been posting here.

liraz

Activity: 30

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:36:36 AM

I feel the same way. The community needs more than one site that lets you explore the blockchain. If that's what you mean by competition with blockchain.info then sure, though many a programmer would shudder at the prospect of competing with the godlike piuk - myself included! But BBE doesn't have to compete with blockchain.info on all fronts. I'm not  interested in turning BBE into a competing web wallet, for example. I'm going to have enough on my hands as it is. Besides, do one job and do it well. That's my motto. OK so maybe that's actually the Unix motto but I try to embrace it.

I understand if the Bitcoin community is going to be initially somewhat suspicious of me but that's ok. Trust has to be earned. Also, while I'm not very well known in Bitcoin circles I do have a bit of reputation in the wider world of open source and hopefully at least some of you will be familiar with TurnKey Linux, which I co-founded 5 years ago.

Taking over from theymos is a big responsibility. I definitely have my work cut out for me. I just got access to the site today and my first order of business will be to create a development copy of it I can tinker away at without being petrified that I'll break something and embarrass myself.

I expect it will take a bit of time to get my footing so please be patient with me while I work this out. My immediate goal will be to do some much needed maintenance on the site, fix bugs, improve performance, etc.

I may need to rewrite parts of the site's code to do that but I'll be trying my best to keep full backwards-compatibility with BBE's machine readable API. If something breaks, please let me know.

Why do I care?

I'm hopelessly fascinated by Bitcoin in the technical and political sense and would like to try and do my small part in helping it succeed for the same reasons I care about helping other good open source projects succeed. Also because it's fun, though I guess you have to be a huge geek to appreciate it.

These are basically the same reasons I helped create TurnKey Linux. Speaking of TurnKey I think I can trace back my enthusiasm for Bitcoin to the nightmarishly difficult time we had figuring out a viable way to get companies to pay us for open source support and stuff. TurnKey has users all over the world but when we started out we were way too small to have a merchant account and accept credit cards. PayPal horror stories were terrifying. International wires were very expensive and time consuming to process, not to mention how long you had to wait for them to clear. We eventually just threw up our hands and let Amazon take care of our billing but even then we had to jump through quite a few hoops including setting up a US company, petitioning the US IRS for an EIN (employer identification number) and opening a US bank account just to get them to work with us. For a small non-US based shop, international payments are hard. Hopefully Bitcoin will eventually change all of that one day and I for one will welcome our new blockchain overlords.

Anyhow, once I get the site back on solid footing, I'd like to get everyone's input on how we can continue to improve it to best serve the needs of the Bitcoin community.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:50:50 AM

When I am at work, where they have a very strict firewall, I cannot access blockchain.info. The webblocker says it is in the category of "gambling". I suspect this is because there is a way to use the blockchain.info wallet to play satoshiDice. Anyway, what I am getting at is it is nice to have blockExplorer as an alternative.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Cusipzzz

Activity: 334

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 04:32:17 AM

thank you theymos for all you have done...Back in the 2010 days, showing people BBE and tracing through transactions and blocks was the best/only way to show people bitcoin without them having their own client. A lot of us got started that way.

Best of luck to you liraz as well!
niko

Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 06:41:41 AM

BBE is history, in the best sense of the word.

Looking forward, I expect some options to visualize spending networks, and to see well-documented charts indicating the health of the Bitcoin ecosystem.

As liraz pointed out, there is no need and there is no reason to compete with blockchain.info - there is plenty of room and niches to explore and fill up!

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 10:13:08 AM

Liraz as you are such an open source guy, will BBE be open source? Will you also do charts? I would love to code charts if somebody codes some charts to copy from. I studied maths and have tons of ideas of what would be very interesting to measure if I had the blockchain data readily accessible.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
liraz

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:06:25 PM

BBE is history, in the best sense of the word.

Looking forward, I expect some options to visualize spending networks, and to see well-documented charts indicating the health of the Bitcoin ecosystem.

As liraz pointed out, there is no need and there is no reason to compete with blockchain.info - there is plenty of room and niches to explore and fill up!

Exactly! Bitcoin is just getting started and any endeavour to improve the ecosystem is by no means a zero-sum game.  The way I see it at this stage nearly everyone involved with Bitcoin is basically in the same boat and shares similar a interest - to see Bitcoin succeed. Now that would truly be making history and I already consider myself very lucky to have the opportunity to contribute, however this eventually plays out.

There's a lot of work ahead but I'm hoping the blockexplorer under my stewardship will eventually improve enough to stimulate blockchain.info to improve  and vice versa. We can get a nice cycle of cross fertilization going that will serve the Bitcoin community better than a single tool. We know this is a good model because it's worked so well in other areas (e.g., search engines, browsers, operating systems, Linux distributions). Let a thousand flowers bloom and all that.

Besides, the whole point of Bitcoin is decentralization right? A single online block exploration tool wouldn't really be in the spirit...
liraz

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:12:00 PM

I just read this and was like, blown away. This guy totally gets it, he isn't competing with blockchain.info at all, blockchain.info has evolved into so much more than just a aggregator of all the bitcoin transactions. I think liraz gets it by seeing to not go head to head with them but to be there for the simple people who just want to look up a transaction or to just search the blockchain. I really think theymos found a good home for this project that will thrive once again!

Thank you so much for making me feel welcome. I'm hoping to live up to this!
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:18:30 PM

a great read and a positive boost to the community Cheesy

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
marhjan

Activity: 215
Merit: 105

Poorer than I ought to be

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:19:29 PM

Thank you very much to Theymos, and welcome and good luck to Liraz!  Sounds like BBE is in good hands moving forward

Donations happily accepted @ 15qxNsc7pBiz5kXpAJykw4etzMbZitm2mk
liraz

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:28:26 PM

Liraz as you are such an open source guy, will BBE be open source? Will you also do charts? I would love to code charts if somebody codes some charts to copy from. I studied maths and have tons of ideas of what would be very interesting to measure if I had the blockchain data readily accessible.

Yes, BBE will most definitely be open source, just like TurnKey Linux. I want to bring as many people like you on board. Turn this into a real community project by the Bitcoin community for the Bitcoin community.

Also, I'm really hoping piuk will eventually come around and fully open source blockchain.info (and I mean all of it, not just the wallet) so we can remove the barriers slowing down the mutual exchange of  code and ideas. Besides, he's such an awesome programmer. I'd love to be on the same side with him.
Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 04:01:16 PM

Welcome, liraz, and good luck to you.  It is spectacular news that BBE will be open source.  I assume you are already aware of ABE, an open-source clone of BBE; this may be an additional source of ideas for cross-pollenization.

Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 04:02:13 PM

I'm hopelessly fascinated by Bitcoin in the technical and political sense

Bitcoin is shiny, which makes it valuable to geeks like us. Smiley

niko

Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 04:20:12 PM

For the record, BBE has received a total of 287 coins in 164 donations. If we value each donation in USD based on MtGox rates, it amounts to $1,012. The average value of donation was $6.17.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: