Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:58:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN Mt.Gox] Hi everyone, just a quick update on the situation and what happened  (Read 12730 times)
Mt.Gox_Alex (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 04:20:37 AM

https://mtgox.com/press_release_20130411.html

First of all we would like to reassure you but no we were not last night victim of a DDoS but instead victim of our own success!

Indeed the rather astonishing amount of new account opened in the last few days added to the existing one plus the number of trade made a huge impact on the overall system that started to lag. As expected in such situation people started to panic, started to sell Bitcoin in mass (Panic Sale) resulting in an increase of trade that ultimately froze the trade engine!

To give you an idea of how impressive things were here are some numbers that we would love to share with you guys:
- The number of trades executed tripled in the last 24hrs.
- The number of new account opened went from 60k for March alone to 75k new account created for the first few days of April! We now have roughly 20,000 new accounts created each day.

Due to these facts we have been busy working on improving things since last week and our team has been working around the clock to improve Mt.Gox to catch up with the demand. We will continue to release several updates today and in the coming few days to improve our system overall performance.

Also please note that we may have to close the exchange for two hours in the next 12 to 24hrs to add several new servers to our system.

Thank you for your understanding and continuous support!

Regards
Mt.Gox Co. Ltd Team.

Mt.Gox Contact press@mtgox.com

Mt.Gox : The Leading International Bitcoin Exchange.
Mt.Gox Merchant Solutions :   Now Available!
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:23:03 AM

I would have more sympathy if this was not part of a long history of lackadaisical malfeasance on the part of MtGox.  You have no incentive to fix your steaming pile of crap and I do not believe you will.

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:25:43 AM

That's a lot of traffic, good luck and thanks for the update!

Mt.Gox_Alex (OP)

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 04:44:15 AM

I would have more sympathy if this was not part of a long history of lackadaisical malfeasance on the part of MtGox.  You have no incentive to fix your steaming pile of crap and I do not believe you will.

You are obviously no ideas of what you are talking about, come and work with us you will see how things are done and what we have to deal with on a daily basis. As I write this we have two concurrent DDoS attack with NO lags and still online. Things always seems easy at the other end of the keyboard.

Mt.Gox : The Leading International Bitcoin Exchange.
Mt.Gox Merchant Solutions :   Now Available!
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:50:25 AM

https://mtgox.com/press_release_20130411.html

First of all we would like to reassure you but no we were not last night victim of a DDoS but instead victim of our own success!

Indeed the rather astonishing amount of new account opened in the last few days added to the existing one plus the number of trade made a huge impact on the overall system that started to lag. As expected in such situation people started to panic, started to sell Bitcoin in mass (Panic Sale) resulting in an increase of trade that ultimately froze the trade engine!

To give you an idea of how impressive things were here are some numbers that we would love to share with you guys:
- The number of trades executed tripled in the last 24hrs.
- The number of new account opened went from 60k for March alone to 75k new account created for the first few days of April! We now have roughly 20,000 new accounts created each day.

Due to these facts we have been busy working on improving things since last week and our team has been working around the clock to improve Mt.Gox to catch up with the demand. We will continue to release several updates today and in the coming few days to improve our system overall performance.

Also please note that we may have to close the exchange for two hours in the next 12 to 24hrs to add several new servers to our system.

Thank you for your understanding and continuous support!

Regards
Mt.Gox Co. Ltd Team.

Mt.Gox Contact press@mtgox.com

Sure thing enjoy the fruits of all those buy orders executed 20% 30% higher simultaneously with the sell orders.

I think an apology would have been more fitting than a simple Thank you.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Inedible

Activity: 700

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:53:53 AM

Wait, so are you or are you not being DDoS'd?

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:01:42 AM

Wait, so are you or are you not being DDoS'd?
I think are but the lag wasn't due to the DDoS.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:26:52 AM

You are obviously no ideas of what you are talking about, come and work with us you will see how things are done and what we have to deal with on a daily basis. As I write this we have two concurrent DDoS attack with NO lags and still online. Things always seems easy at the other end of the keyboard.

Alex, please don't do this.  To date MtGox has refrained from insulting customers and I'd like to see it stay that way.  At the end of the day "what you have to deal with" should not be your customers' problem.  You need to explain what's happening without being defensive or aggressive.

Can I also implore you to please be more communicative about other issues such as the cessation of non-BTC MtGox vouchers and the CoinLab transition?  It's not enough to simply announce these things.  As they come closer to being implemented you need to be actively reminding your customers that they're about to happen.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 06:20:30 AM
Last edit: April 11, 2013, 07:46:32 AM by TheButterZone

FTFY

Shut down trading NOW and DO NOT resume until your trade engine is made NYSE-grade DDOS, lag, and all other forms of bullshit, resistant.

That's directed at ALL exchanges, BTW.

STOP allowing Bitcoin's market value to be bent over and gang raped bloody OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
bitsalame
Donator

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

Preaching the gospel of Satoshi

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:38:18 AM

Please don't be pulling another "force majeure" crap again.
With more than half million dollars a month in revenue, I would expect no excuses in performance.
How on Earth are you going to survive the deal with Coinlabs?
aantonop

Activity: 196
Merit: 116

Entrepreneur, coder, hacker, pundit, humanist.

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 07:47:16 AM

Instead of coinlab getting partnered with the "expert", they got saddled with the broken exchange whose owners don't have a clue how to run a high-performance and scalable infrastructure.

Magic The Gathering Online Exhange is a systemic risk to bitcoin, a death trap for traders and a business run by the clueless.

I'm not only leaving mtgox, I'm not going to touch coinlab with a 10ft pole.

This press release shows a complete disregard for customers, is full of excuses and no plan to fix anything. Throw more servers at it, see if that makes your non-scalable software suck less. It won't.

I'm willing to try others, after all what can be worse than an HOUR lag?

Campbx.com, bitfloor, coinbase, anything but gox or their new victim/partner coinlab.

Bitcoin entrepreneur - OpenBitcoinStore,SafePaperWallet,BitcoinPressCenter.org... and more.
Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
SomeWhere

Activity: 71

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:14:19 AM

So much truth in this thread.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:28:11 AM
Last edit: April 11, 2013, 08:46:22 AM by repentance

FTFY

Shut down trading NOW and DO NOT resume until your trade engine is made NYSE-grade DDOS, lag, and all other forms of bullshit, resistant.

That's directed at ALL exchanges, BTW.

STOP allowing Bitcoin's market value to be bent over and gang raped bloody OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

In the reddit thread, MtGox are blaming HFT.  Of course it's totally within their control to set a minimum order limit and/or a minimum time between trades but instead of doing that until they have the infrastructure to actually handle HFT, they're going to keep accepting more customers (many of whom are new to Bitcoin and are going to get pissed off when they realise they wont be able to withdraw their profits without getting verified and who have no idea about the proposed CoinLab transition) and just throw on some more servers.

Bitcoin services who have been in businesses for as long as MtGox have no excuse whatsoever for being unable to scale.  The capacity to handle an explosion of new users should have been put in place long ago.

If I had to guess, I suspect that MtGox doesn't have the capital to install the type of infrastructure which is needed right now to deal with the explosive growth in use.  If you cannot scale, you will fail.  Count on it.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
aantonop

Activity: 196
Merit: 116

Entrepreneur, coder, hacker, pundit, humanist.

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 08:33:19 AM
Last edit: April 11, 2013, 12:56:46 PM by aantonop

This really takes the price for EPIC FAIL followed by tone deaf attack on your own customers.

Wow, just wow!

Since you decided anyone calling your bullshit with you doesn't know how hard it is on your end of the keyboard, I'll offer you this:

That's me on the left. I'll give you three guesses as to the location and why I was invited to this by the CEO.

So as someone who does know what they're talking about, SCREW YOU Alex and your company. First you fail, then you insult your customers for having the audacity to call you on your BS.

Everyone reading this: Open an account on bitfloor, campbx, btc-e or any (ALL) of the other exchanges. Close your MTGOX account.

Bitcoin entrepreneur - OpenBitcoinStore,SafePaperWallet,BitcoinPressCenter.org... and more.
Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
Scrat Acorns

Activity: 293
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:59:24 AM

This isn't new. Your engine has been lagging for the past 3 months whenever there is so much as a hint of volume.

Anything more than a few seconds of lag in the real financial world is UNACCEPTABLE. You wasted a lot of people's money yesterday. These people will be taking their business elsewhere.
Isokivi

Activity: 910

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 09:03:00 AM

Mt.Gox_Alex thank you for the update, some news earlyer would of have been good too. Keep up the good work your doing, atleast a large portion of the more seasoned bitcoiners can fully understand the circumstances you are coping with at the moment and can clearly see you are handling things supprisingly well.

Couch critics, if Mt. Gox is doing such a bad job, please start competing with them.. the market should be wide open by your reasoning.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
codro

Activity: 91

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:04:10 AM

If you look at the trade feed, there are barely a few trades per minute in times of high lag. I still don't understand how they can capitulate under what is essentially so little volume.

The engine isn't even capable of >one trade per second most times, Nasdaq does at least 35,000 per second and is tested up to 60,000.

http://www.nasdaq.com/services/homw.stm

The order of magnitude difference doesn't make sense to me. Sure, some is to be expected, but not that much.
Liquid

Activity: 826

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:35:39 AM

I knew it! i watched it booming yesterday and this morning was a shock when it was at $150, $100 less but i knew what happened you got overloaded well its all good now we can watch bitcoin go to $250 + again  Grin

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
codro

Activity: 91

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:38:27 AM

[12:29] <keymone_> MagicalTux tell me why are you not using more mature exchange system?
[12:29] <keymone_> like milleniumit or something
[12:30] <keymone_> the one that is behind london stock exchange
[12:30] <keymone_> why reinventing the wheel especially when you see the incoming exponential usage growth
[12:30] <@MagicalTux> keymone_: does it handle ddos attacks well?
[12:31] <keymone_> yesterday press release said it was not due to ddos
[12:31] <keymone_> it's 2 separate problems, solving 1 is already a huge progress
[12:31] <@MagicalTux> keymone_: we are already solving this
[12:31] <bit14> @MagicalTux: why exactly would a ddos affect the matching and execution engine?
[12:31] <@MagicalTux> bit14: overloading system cpu
[12:31] <@MagicalTux> ddos are not all about cpu
[12:32] <dandate2> um did rebooting mtgox cause already deleted recent bids to come into play?
[12:32] <bit14> @MagicalTux: wouldn't the front end and execution engine be on different machines?
[12:32] <@MagicalTux> dandate2: rebooting?
[12:32] <keymone_> are you trying to battle trading bots? with all these 0.1 buys and sells?
[12:32] <@MagicalTux> bit14: not yet
[12:32] <@MagicalTux> keymone_: unrelated
[12:32] <bit14> @MagicalTux: wow, well, then that explains everything

I don't mean to add even more insult to injury, but as a software engineer myself - I can't even comprehend why someone would create such an abomination.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 09:55:09 AM

The back patting will continue until morale "improves" to $0.00000001/BTC.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: