Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:42:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-04-11 Israeli banks limit money connected to bitcoin.  (Read 10839 times)
farfiman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:51:43 AM

http://glz.co.il/1087-15603-HE/Galatz.aspx

"Banks in Israel against bitcoin ': Jonah Liibzon, Israeli banks are struggling virtual currency holders. In some branches of banks began to restrict this coin changers, whose value soared in recent months, and is not subject to any government control. Bitcoin dealers "are no longer authorized to transfer or receive dollars from Japan, where most trading takes place in the industry."

From Israeli radio.  translated with google

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:14:54 AM

Whoa, if true, this would be quite significant, and one of the more oppressive Bitcoin-related restrictions to date: a blanket ban on all monetary interactions with Japan!?  I'd guess either the report is missing some details or something was lost in the translation, perhaps one of our Israeli members can shed some light?
MikeH

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:23:19 AM

not surprised that would happen in Israel, central banksters 2nd home.
kiko

Activity: 453

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:46:40 AM

Welcome to the UK. This has been the case here for years.

Note that it doesn't prevent Israelis from wiring money to mt.gox from their personal accounts. It just means there won't be legit bitcoin exchanges based out of Israel.

Still a scum-bag move, however.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:03:39 PM

And so it begins.  Cool

caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:08:45 PM

Note that it doesn't prevent Israelis from wiring money to mt.gox from their personal accounts. It just means there won't be legit bitcoin exchanges based out of Israel.

That's not what I understood from OP. It seems that banks are forbidding people to send money to MtGox.

Whoa, if true, this would be quite significant, and one of the more oppressive Bitcoin-related restrictions to date

+1 The most oppressive, no doubt. So far only business were being censored, never individuals.
kiko

Activity: 453

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:15:55 PM

That's not what I understood from OP. It seems that banks are forbidding people to send money to MtGox.

So when they say 'Bitcoin dealers' what they really mean is anyone in Israel? Can OP please confirm who is restricted from doing what.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:25:00 PM

Yeah, this is not very clear, and I'm not even sure it's true.
I opened a topic in Hebrew section, perhaps someone in loco will have something to say.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 12:41:58 PM

I'm not sure that broadcast has all its facts right.

Things are in a bit of disarray and I only have first-hand knowledge of some of the events.

I think "banning transfers to Mtgox" is the exception rather than the rule (and that banning transfers to Japan in general is a fib). The rule is imposing limitations on local Bitcoin exchange services due to a concern about AML compliance.

The whole thing is currently being explored with several government agencies.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
ronfinberg

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 01:23:54 PM

If anyone is interested - we translated the article here http://forexmagnates.com/israel-banks-limiting-bitcoin-buying-waiting-for-regulatory-decisions/

Also, for what its worth, one of my contacts was recently able to make a transfer to a non-Japanese exchange
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:06:10 PM

If anyone is interested - we translated the article here http://forexmagnates.com/israel-banks-limiting-bitcoin-buying-waiting-for-regulatory-decisions/

Also, for what its worth, one of my contacts was recently able to make a transfer to a non-Japanese exchange

Thank you.

My guess is that they will come out with some variant on the FinCEN guidance.  Copying US precedent sems like the easiest route for bureaucrats to cover their rears.
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 06:40:58 PM

Welcome to the UK. This has been the case here for years.

Huh? AFAIK UK residents are authorized to transfer or receive dollars from Japan.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 07:08:04 PM

Whats new with this? Germans that want to trade bitcoins at bitcoin.de (sending money directly to other customers and receiving directly to bank account) know already that these activities will lead fast to a closed bank account. The only solution nowadays is to use a bank account with a polish bank that doesnt bother about bitcoins. In fact they will make quite some bucks because everyone goes to them.
But using your normal bank account for bitcoin business is a high risk and you have a good chance to lose your account. The reason is that the banks fear money laundering. They could ask back but they dont want to because it makes work. So they close, dont tell a reason, and dont have work with it. There are enough other customers that dont make trouble.
So in my opinion... israeli banks disallow it... but at least they dont close the account and cause you much trouble.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 12:52:07 AM

IIRC, there were 5+ bitcoin exchanges in Israel.

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 08:10:44 AM
Last edit: April 12, 2013, 01:41:18 PM by ripper234

IIRC, there were 5+ bitcoin exchanges in Israel.

I think the number is closer to 10.
Here is an official press release I just wrote in Hebrew (Facebook). Could someone translate to English and post here?

Sorry, had to remove the post for the time being, but I will definitely update later.
Please be patient for a little bit more Smiley

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
bittenbob

Activity: 560

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:51:11 PM

This is one of the first major steps taken by a government against Bitcoin. It's too bad Israelis can't buy directly from Gox. However, they can for now at least buy Bitcoins at BIPS which is in Denmark. We also sell directly for ILS.
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 05:00:38 PM

This is one of the first major steps taken by a government against Bitcoin. It's too bad Israelis can't buy directly from Gox. However, they can for now at least buy Bitcoins at BIPS which is in Denmark. We also sell directly for ILS.

1. Who says the steps are taken by governments?
2. Who says Israelis can't buy directly on Gox? We've been buying on Gox for 2 years now ... it's just slow and complicated (at least 2-3 days to wire money, verifications, forms to fill out etc.).

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
farfiman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:03:18 PM
Last edit: April 13, 2013, 07:06:49 AM by farfiman

link?

found it: https://bips.me/    but those prices are crazy it seems.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
bittenbob

Activity: 560

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 12:32:48 AM

It appears I didn't take enough time to read it problem . The banks are taking action, not the government - yet.
Nemesis

Activity: 462

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 03:16:08 AM

1. Who says the steps are taken by governments?
2. Who says Israelis can't buy directly on Gox? We've been buying on Gox for 2 years now ... it's just slow and complicated (at least 2-3 days to wire money, verifications, forms to fill out etc.).

How hard is it to withdraw fiat from MtGox?

I'm curious how the exchange works for you guys there. What about local exchange? does this affect them greatly?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: