Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2014, 05:49:59 AM *
News: Due to the OpenSSL heartbleed bug, changing your forum password is recommended.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet 3.0 available!  (Read 9385 times)
Andreas Schildbach

Activity: 424

View Profile WWW

Ignore
April 11, 2013, 09:48:23 AM

I'm proud to announce version 3.0 of Bitcoin Wallet.

The changes are massive:

• Now requires Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3) or later.
  • Export/import encrypted private key backups to/from mail or online storage.
  • Switch to new block store format, uses seriously less internal storage and doesn't grow.
  • New installs are instantly fully updated and useable.
  • Got rid of block chain snapshot in APK, installs updates much faster.
  • Lots of small improvements and bugfixes.
  • Based on bitcoinj 0.8.

If you want to take advantage of the new block store format, you need to reset your blockchain once (Options > Settings > Reset Blockchain).

Download/update from Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet
(update will become available during the next hours)

Direct download:
https://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/downloads/list

Source:
https://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/source/checkout

Thanks to everyone who contributed to Bitcoin Wallet and bitcoinj. Mike Hearn again invested lots of work to make mobile wallets work just as snappy as online wallets, but without the disadvantages of online wallets.

Bitcoin Wallet for Android: Your own Bitcoins, in your own pocket!
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
virtualmaster

Activity: 392

View Profile

Ignore
April 11, 2013, 01:29:02 PM

Good work. Thanks.
This version seems to be more stable.
The former one was not usable by me because it was crashing.

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
stan.distortion

Activity: 602

View Profile

Ignore
April 11, 2013, 01:31:15 PM

Good work. Thanks.
+1

­aminorex: "there are no good arguments for regulation, merely bad arguments in a good suit."
Carlos L.

Activity: 798

If there is nothing wrong with it then fix it

View Profile

Ignore
April 11, 2013, 01:53:39 PM

aceat64

Activity: 123

View Profile WWW

Ignore
April 11, 2013, 04:07:44 PM

Awesome work Goonie!

Don't mess with my network. Or Texas.
Drink Fund: 19BxzWJbwc325MM8NzfVJYjR5Vu54saDpH - Makerspace Donations: 1MakersiNBFMdM5i6R8dgD9pkgMFE6rkAD
President - Dallas Makerspace
100x

Activity: 378

Seek the truth

View Profile

Ignore
April 11, 2013, 04:46:40 PM

Hi, thanks for all your hard work!  Smiley

How much space does it use on the phone? And how does it not grow when new blocks are added by the network?
Also do you know roughly how much bandwith it uses in on month? My cell provider throttles after 2.5 GB I have heard
Mike Hearn

Activity: 1232

View Profile

Ignore
April 11, 2013, 04:57:49 PM

Great work Andreas!

100x, for new users (and old users if they reset/replay their chain), only the last 5000 headers are stored. This is enough to handle a re-org over 2 months deep, which has never happened in the history of Bitcoin and hopefully never will (it would mean Bitcoin has completely broken, essentially).

Bandwidth usage should be minimal. On the order of a few megabytes a month, if that (it can be much less but it depends how much you use it of course).

12LMm82ZgAzf7yNDpPydEYxEr4Ap7XtSSK
eric7

Activity: 28

View Profile

Ignore
April 11, 2013, 05:13:04 PM

Very cool! Thanks!

If you found my post helpful and would like to leave a small tip, I'd really appreciate it! 19A4oQ4G3wuzbdXnV3bnpJ2a9gyh8EQuuX
Wekkel

Activity: 658

View Profile

Ignore
April 11, 2013, 05:49:57 PM

It's this kind of development that gets the coins further. Super!

Like this post? you can tip me (BTC) 1LGi2DMhectdFSkBid5srrnHk8WHgD3V1d or very WoW (Doge) D9p6FZQb1sKkq9hApy4tnjSduYfdnc74bb
Andreas Schildbach

View Profile WWW

Ignore
April 11, 2013, 07:33:28 PM

How much space does it use on the phone?
Also do you know roughly how much bandwith it uses in on month? My cell provider throttles after 2.5 GB I have heard

It boils down to 5-6 MB internal storage usage for the app including all data.

I get along with a 300 MB/month contract, and I also sync+read my email, news and do the occasional browsing. According to "Data usage" the app has used 30.3 MB during the last month, although I'm not sure I'm reading it right.

yossarian

Activity: 487

View Profile

Ignore
April 11, 2013, 08:53:08 PM

+1

I've been using this app for roughly 2 years now and it keeps getting better and better.

Donation is on its way! Cheesy

I'm always buying and selling BTC, PM me for details. Rating and GPG-key: http://is.gd/yossarian

Buy and sell BTC via SEPA: https://www.bitcoin.de/r/nrnxg6

Bitmessage: BM-2DAoXPtLdQEnR2iSneCTjpgRPtzXsSAi1m
kwukduck

Activity: 688

View Profile

Ignore
April 12, 2013, 03:24:47 AM

Still no security features... With lots of people getting into bitcoin this is essential i think.
My phone goes around my friends and family quite a lot, to view pictures, browse the web, play games, so it's out of my sight from time to time.
I don't want anyone to be able to just spend my coins like that if they wish.

I know bitcoin is like cash, but it should be protected by some kind of wallet encryption that requires a password/pin before you can spend whatever is in there.

Time to take this serious i think... I've been nagging about this for what, a year now? xD And i'm sorry if it gets boring and annoying, it's too important to not have this feature i think.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
stan.distortion

View Profile

Ignore
April 12, 2013, 03:32:13 AM

Still no security features... With lots of people getting into bitcoin this is essential i think.
My phone goes around my friends and family quite a lot, to view pictures, browse the web, play games, so it's out of my sight from time to time.

I know bitcoin is like cash, but it should be protected by some kind of wallet encryption that requires a password/pin before you can spend whatever is in there.

Time to take this serious i think... I've been nagging about this for what, a year now? xD And i'm sorry if it gets boring and annoying, it's too important to not have this feature i think.
What kind of security? Typing in a PIN is a pain in the ass, maybe voice patterns? Guess thumb print readers are a way off mainstream yet :/

­aminorex: "there are no good arguments for regulation, merely bad arguments in a good suit."
kwukduck

Activity: 688

View Profile

Ignore
April 12, 2013, 03:42:11 AM

What kind of security? Typing in a PIN is a pain in the ass, maybe voice patterns? Guess thumb print readers are a way off mainstream yet :/

Typing a pin is a pain in the ass? Are you kidding me? Everybody is messaging and browsing with their smart phones all day long and typing a pin is too much? O_o

Anyway, it should be optional, if you don't wish to use it fine, don't, but i'm pretty sure a lot of mobile users would appreciate some security features that protect our wallet.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
stan.distortion

View Profile

Ignore
April 12, 2013, 03:48:27 AM

Anyway, it should be optional, if you don't wish to use it fine, don't, but i'm pretty sure a lot of mobile users would appreciate some security features that protect our wallet.
+1 to that, it bothers me too but its core functions are being honed atm so maybe its a bit down the list. Pin's always look like a liability though so was wondering what other options there where. There was something with movement patterns working well but cant remember what it was :/

Andreas Schildbach

View Profile WWW

Ignore
April 13, 2013, 01:51:29 PM

Wallet encryption is on track but it still needs quite some work. For example, the internal backup system must be reimplemented (there is no point in encryption if the automatic backups remain unencrypted).

I will probably offer pin or password initially and experiment with NFC tags and other tokens.

Gesture patterns do not offer any security at all. Look at this video, I think you'll understand even without understanding German.

stan.distortion

View Profile

Ignore
April 13, 2013, 02:09:33 PM

Makes sense, maybe random keypad numbering could be good for a similar reason?

Mike Hearn

Activity: 1232

View Profile

Ignore
April 13, 2013, 02:22:18 PM

There used to be apps on the play store that let you lock arbitrary other apps behind PINs or other features, so you couldn't open them. They worked for any app not just ones that supported it. Do those apps still exist? If so it seems like a better feature than reimplementing everything in Bitcoin Wallet.

Bear in mind you can already encrypt your entire phone such that the keys are released only when your screen is unlocked. I think the use case of people who routinely give their phone unlocked to someone they don't trust is rare, and Android tablets since 4.2 support multiple users, which is a better way to solve the issue.

So I am not really convinced this is the best use of time.

Now, having said that, what would be useful is if the wallet could be partially encrypted such that you have a small amount spendable with lax security and a larger amount that maybe requires a password or NFC tag to unlock. In bitcoinj you'd implement this with two wallets created simultaneously, one unlocked, and then some code that sent Bitcoins between them (using real transactions to ensure the outputs were of the right size).

In this way you could have an NFC tag with your password in it, and mostly when you spend money you just do it and don't have to do anything, and you'd keep your NFC tag at home on your table. When you charge your phone at night you rest it on the NFC tag and now both wallets are unlocked and your pocket money can fill up again.

12LMm82ZgAzf7yNDpPydEYxEr4Ap7XtSSK
stan.distortion

View Profile

Ignore
April 13, 2013, 02:33:03 PM

That would be really nice, keeping a small amount on the phone to reduce risk and then being caught short has been an issue for me already.

Andreas Schildbach

View Profile WWW

Ignore
April 13, 2013, 02:41:53 PM

Yes, multiple wallets would be nice for a lot of things. I'd have a third (readonly) wallet which monitors my savings account which is on cold storage.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.