Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:53:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 survivors club  (Read 5015 times)
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 08:03:12 PM

I watched all the way from $.25 to $32 and down without any bitcoins. I have balls of steel.

But then I slowly started to buy, and buy. Stopped increasing the net position as it crossed $100 recently.

Now I am prepared to make a killing by trading, dealing and arbitrage. I have coins and fiat in the exchanges. No matter where the price goes, I intend to be at least BTC100 richer in 24 hours.

I don't believe in a lasting crash, since at the rate I make money, all your coins are belong to us in less than 20 years.

Which exchange you will be on?

Probably all of them. rpietila has more funds than me but I intend to make a lot more than 100 BTC in the next 24 hours Cheesy
yeah I hope he has lots of funds.
works for me.  Wink
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:03:18 PM

I watched all the way from $.25 to $32 and down without any bitcoins. I have balls of steel.

But then I slowly started to buy, and buy. Stopped increasing the net position as it crossed $100 recently.

Now I am prepared to make a killing by trading, dealing and arbitrage. I have coins and fiat in the exchanges. No matter where the price goes, I intend to be at least BTC100 richer in 24 hours.

I don't believe in a lasting crash, since at the rate I make money, all your coins are belong to us in less than 20 years.

If I judge rpietila correctly: all of the ones that might remotely make sense at some point.

He's doing it right: fill up the various exchanges with funds. Then you can make the moves you want to make and rebalance. Need lots of fiat for that, though.

As for my "age": I actually found a block solo-mining once.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:05:11 PM

I thought there was a lot more substance in the discussions back in 2011.  I hope those make a return and all the gloating posts die down.  

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:06:04 PM

If I judge rpietila correctly: all of the ones that might remotely make sense at some point.

Well that's flattering. I only employed my first full-time bitcoin broker exactly 10 days ago, so we have barely started to make money.  Grin

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:06:25 PM

I thought there was a lot more substance in the discussions back in 2011.  I hope those make a return and all the gloating posts die down.  

haha, lol. You must be referring to the first half of 2011. Because during the second half there was almost no constructive discussion to be had on these forums.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
ElectroGeek007

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:06:58 PM

I've been here since April 2011. I have only mined, spending a few BTC here and there on video cards and such. Never have I bought any Bitcoins directly, even when they were under a dollar back then (regretting that now, heh), and I have only ever sold 1 Bitcoin, just to see how it worked.  Smiley

"And what the enemy will see, they will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!"
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 08:09:57 PM

Well that's flattering. I only employed my first full-time bitcoin broker exactly 10 days ago, so we have barely started to make money.  Grin

Barking dogs don't bite.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:12:00 PM

haha, lol. You must be referring to the first half of 2011. Because during the second half there was almost no constructive discussion to be had on these forums.

Yeah I remember them but they seemed to be more contained back then.  We had some good discussions in the economics section.  Either that or I'm just getting old and have forgotten all the bad stuff.  I did take a bit of a hiatus from Bitcoin so maybe I missed the peak of the negativity.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:16:44 PM

Look at my user number.. I'm there since november 2010.. Sold more than 5k under 1$ (No regrets at all)..

My first trade was at 0.15 with Slush, (Proud to say that we both do our first trade togheter)  Mining on his pool since it open...

Mining since nov 4th 2010 (never had more than 4.1 Gh/s)  Just bought few weeks ago 2Gh/s with coins valued between 100 and 150 !  Again, no regret at all...

I enjoy the community / forum, but im kinda too much addict to this.. I should leave it alone, just monitoring the mining and take a look back in 6 month...

Will I be able to do so ?
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:32:14 PM

What a ride!

I've always been risk-averse and paranoid, and watching this spectacle has sort of validated that attitude for me... Amazing times, I'm starting to think I should have taken notes for a book, although I'm not a writer in any sense of the word.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Phil21

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:46:50 PM

I started mining from a machine at home in probably December 2010 or January 2011, for a couple months it was a fun hobby - learning about stuff, hacking on getting automated mining to work under Linux, spending coins all over the place just to see what I could do with them - probably spent/lost/got scammed out of 500ish coins during that period.

Easy to look back on it and say it was stupid, but it was a lot of fun and a learning experience.  Without that trade going I was a small part of, Bitcoin would never have a chance.  My only real regret was keeping a bit too much coin in mybitcoin, iirc it was 50 coins at the time of them ditching.    Keep in mind, at the time you could have a single high-end GPU mine 10 or so a day, and they were worth less than a few bucks each Smiley  This was play money, basically.

Given I enjoyed the hobby quite a bit, and felt there was a decent chance of ROI on GPU's at the time (free video cards! sign me up!) - I "invested" in a few mining rigs which finally got on-line months later due to business trips in May/June of 2011 just in time for the huge difficulty ramps and corresponding exchange rate bubble.   By the time they were operational, the price had crashed and it wasn't looking like I'd ever make ROI back on the hardware itself, much less electricity.

2011 bubble happened and burst, and I didn't sell much during that time.  Just kept things mining since then at a steady pace.

This bubble, when it hit $33 I sold enough to cover my original expenses, which was just under half of my entire btc holdings.  Obviously I'm annoyed now I did that, but it was and still is a solid financial decision.  I also cashed out a ~30% profit over my expenses at $174-238, which I've left on the Exchanges so far.  I would have sold more (everything) had price held stable long enough to get money out of the exchanges at $200+.  I simply don't trust them enough to dump everything at once - I'd rather have my coins safe, and do things in small increments without someone holding vast amounts (for me!) of cash on my behalf who might disappear tomorrow.

Not sure what I plan on doing now.  I have just over half my total peak btc holdings safe in cold storage wallet, and have no plans on selling them any time soon.  If the price drops considerably, I would like to re-buy the coins sold to pay expenses and get back to my original holdings in btc.  At that point, I'd simply hold as savings - possibly cashing portions out to USD during any subsequent bubbles.  The buy-in price for me would be low though, sub-$33 Smiley  Other than that, I plan to simply spend them on things I need.

Overall I'm a "believer" in Bitcoin.  This last bubble was absolutely retarded, and I believe damages the ecosystem more than helps it.  I'm not convinced Bitcoin will exist 10 years from now, but I am convinced something very much like it will, if not it itself.  Either way it's been a fun ride so far, that's probably provided more entertainment per dollar than anything else I could have started messing with Smiley

-Phil

dr_nix

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:13:28 PM

I'm not impressed by my post/day average I must say, I guess I'm a classical lurker Tongue

I'm better at lurking Smiley

Back in 2011, when FPGAs started to be developed on, I proposed to my professor to design a Bitcoin ASIC as my master thesis. It wouldn't have taken a lot of time. Less than butterfly labs, at least! But he refused, saying that digital-only circuits are a solved problem and have no academic value. Which is true actually, if you are a IC-design academic Smiley He agreed it would be interesting for economists, however.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:34:12 PM

I will be in the 2013 survivors club thread Smiley

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
David M

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:38:23 PM

I started looking at Bitcoin in late 2010.  It took me 6 months to get my head around it (source code & economics).

I started Dollar Cost Averaging (DCA) at $2.50 during the first run up and spent half of my Bitcoins (within the Bitconi economy) before they reached that price again 9 months later.

1 month after the $2 dollar bottom, my business took its first Bitcoin transaction and it will continue to do so until Bitcoin completely dies.

I stopped DCA in July last year and have only made Bitcoin through my business since then.  The business has sold Bitcoin at $70 and $228 (for fiat) but still retains 40% of them.

Bitcoin has given my business unprecedented media coverage (how much would it cost to get a write up & web link in 3 major news outlets? :-)) and just between you and me, Bitcoin's appreciation has generated more profits than the business usually makes.

I only have three wishes for Bitcoin in the next 12 months, a competent exchange, less financial friction and scalable to 10 transactions per second.
skull88

Activity: 683

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:45:05 PM

Date Registered:    August 02, 2010, 12:54:17 PM

Still here, but wasn't very active for a while  Smiley

Sold 1000's of btc's at what I thought where stupid high prices.
Yup stupid high like $2 - $20, actually I was happy they came back down, I had a inner piece, something inside me saying "told ya so"  Tongue

Decided not to sell more coins however, only after paid work 50/50, 50% selling (till I can pay everything with btc)  and 50% saving.
I'm not buying anymore, maybe if they would really went down to 2$ or something but I don't think that will happen, not mining anymore, going to pick up working for bitcoins again, imo also the best way to earn your coins. That's why they were made.

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:56:08 PM

Cool thread. Joined in 2011, still use my same addy as well.

https://blockchain.info/address/12NcNYb2oEh6ANo95AakEjPqQdgbcxh4m9?offset=150&filter=0
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:10:24 PM

...snip
you can send BTC even if you aren't 100% synchronized, right?
..snip

yes

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699

Your Minion

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 03:57:27 AM

Deja Vu  Cheesy

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 10:07:48 AM

Look at my user number.. I'm there since november 2010.. Sold more than 5k under 1$ (No regrets at all)..

My first trade was at 0.15 with Slush, (Proud to say that we both do our first trade togheter)  Mining on his pool since it open...

Mining since nov 4th 2010 (never had more than 4.1 Gh/s)  Just bought few weeks ago 2Gh/s with coins valued between 100 and 150 !  Again, no regret at all...

I enjoy the community / forum, but im kinda too much addict to this.. I should leave it alone, just monitoring the mining and take a look back in 6 month...

Will I be able to do so ?

no

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 10:09:29 AM

Cool thread. Joined in 2011, still use my same addy as well.

https://blockchain.info/address/12NcNYb2oEh6ANo95AakEjPqQdgbcxh4m9?offset=150&filter=0

I think you're doing it wrong.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: