Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:32:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin to hit +$10,000 on Bitstamp this weekend...  (Read 12079 times)
Dragonkiller

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:45:26 AM

I've gone all BTC and transferred out for this reason. Probably unnecessary, but I'd rather play it safe.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:15:07 AM

Any updates here? Once again CNBC is magically ignoring it, if this wont affect BTC price, then it definately will affect (for the worse) my XIV. Want to get out of there before the shit accidentally hits the fan.

sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 08:23:29 AM

I've gone all BTC and transferred out for this reason. Probably unnecessary, but I'd rather play it safe.

I did the same, better to be on the safe side.

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
ringsting

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 09:11:21 AM

Bummer I transferred 10k to BS an hour before reading this.  Last time I got same day processing, hope I can get it out quickly enough.
kwest

Activity: 476

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:38:40 AM

Latest news:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/dec/12/markets--fed-tapering-slovenia-bank-clean-up-business-live

In its new report, just released, Slovenia's central bank gives some details of the €4.758bn cost of cleaning up the banking sector of its bad debts.

The country's biggest three banks need €3.12bn, which will be paid through government funds and bonds.

Another five banks need a total of €1.6bn - and have been given until June 2014 to raise the funds on the private markets.

Slovenia's central bank also said that the operation will take the country's national debt to 75.6% of GDP.
knarzo

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:43:41 AM

Jörg Asmussen, a member of the executive board of the ECB, stated that if required a troubled bank needs to shut down over a weekend. Slovenian banking stress test incoming  Roll Eyes

http://deutsche-wirtschafts-nachrichten.de/2013/12/11/asmussen-bank-muss-ueber-wochenende-abgewickelt-werden-koennen/

Sic parvis magna
kwest

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:17:22 AM

Slovenia's smaller lenders are starting to announce how much money they'll need to raise, under the recapitalisation plan being announced this morning.

Unicredit Slovenia needs an additional €14m.
knarzo

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:30:14 AM

Unicredit Slovenia needs an additional €14m.

That's not that bad Tongue Austrian Hypo Alpe-Adria has ~€25bn of NPLs..

Sic parvis magna
thehun
Legendary

Activity: 1212
Merit: 1037

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:54:38 PM

Just ic case, I've also taken all my $ and coins out
kwest

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:01:03 PM

Seeing as I don't want to hold any more bitcoin while we are still in a downtrend, and I don't want to wait for the SEPA withdrawal process on Bitstamp, I've decided to sell some BTC through localbitcoins - and after every sale, immediately buy the same amount of BTC back at stamp with the dollars I have there. Hopefully I'll be able to get a decent amount of fiat out that way.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 03:27:25 PM

Seriously, this is getting real old. If the overall level of economic knowledge of your average BTC investor is really that superficial, I'm not too impressed...

I'm going to quote myself, because I've written the following summary over and over again in the past month(s), and it still applies:

[...]

1) Slovenia =/= Cyprus. Seriously, it's a worthwhile discussion to go through the details, but for several reasons I don't see Slovenia at a real risk for a "bail in". To name a few: bigger country, higher risk of domino effect. less foreign account holders than cyprus to my knowledge. EU already made an example of Cyprus.

2) even in cyprus, there was no "all banks bail in", I hope people know that. In particular this means that Unicredit Slovenia, a subsidiary of the Italian Unicredit, is nowhere near the level of risk of the Slovenian *state banks*, that are the main cause of the problem the Slovenian banking landscape faces.

That said, if you want to be safe, convert to btc. If you want to be really safe, withdraw those coins. Personally, I don't think it's necessary though.

Especially point 2) is something that is completely ignored, every single time this discussion comes up. Think what you want about how the EU handled Cyprus (disclosure: I think they did the right thing, all things considered), but the bail-in did *not* affect all Cypriot banks. So very little indicates that Unicredit Slovenia would be affected by a (far from certain) bail-in in Slovenia.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 03:43:57 PM

I think the same. If you want to be on the safe side just keep max 100000 euros on your account. In Cyprus they didn't touch the accounts below that amount.

Correct. And: Only holders at Laiki Bank and Bank of Cyprus were affected, the two banks that caused the entire crisis.

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
kwest

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 03:50:14 PM

Seriously, this is getting real old. If the overall level of economic knowledge of your average BTC investor is really that superficial, I'm not too impressed...

Well, yes. In the grand scheme of things I'm a beginner, especially when it comes to things like bailouts/ins etc.. which leads to uncertainty when I have difficulty knowing if my interpretation of the information is correct. When it came out that Unicredit would only need 14 million, I felt better. But even in the light of that, I didn't trust myself enough to draw any final conclusions.

As a newbie I'm grateful for people like you though.. and you should rightfully not be impressed by me. Not at all.
Dragonkiller

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 03:50:48 PM

I'm going to quote myself, because I've written the following summary over and over again in the past month(s), and it still applies:

[...]

1) Slovenia =/= Cyprus. Seriously, it's a worthwhile discussion to go through the details, but for several reasons I don't see Slovenia at a real risk for a "bail in". To name a few: bigger country, higher risk of domino effect. less foreign account holders than cyprus to my knowledge. EU already made an example of Cyprus.

2) even in cyprus, there was no "all banks bail in", I hope people know that. In particular this means that Unicredit Slovenia, a subsidiary of the Italian Unicredit, is nowhere near the level of risk of the Slovenian *state banks*, that are the main cause of the problem the Slovenian banking landscape faces.

That said, if you want to be safe, convert to btc. If you want to be really safe, withdraw those coins. Personally, I don't think it's necessary though.

Especially point 2) is something that is completely ignored, every single time this discussion comes up. Think what you want about how the EU handled Cyprus (disclosure: I think they did the right thing, all things considered), but the bail-in did *not* affect all Cypriot banks. So very little indicates that Unicredit Slovenia would be affected by a (far from certain) bail-in in Slovenia.

I think the same. If you want to be on the safe side just keep max 100000 euros on your account. In Cyprus they didn't touch the accounts below that amount.

Do you think Bitstamp has an individual account for each customer? No. They have one account which probably has millions of dollars.
kwest

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 03:56:04 PM

Do you think Bitstamp has an individual account for each customer? No. They have one account which probably has millions of dollars.

See, now I feel uncertain again. Tongue It's very hard for someone like me to come to any hard conclusions... leading to "better safe than sorry" = cashing out.
Dragonkiller

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 03:59:47 PM

See, now I feel uncertain again. Tongue It's very hard for someone like me to come to any hard conclusions... leading to "better safe than sorry" = cashing out.

I agree the risk is negligible, but if it's something that you can easily avoid, I don't know why anyone would take the risk.
Dragonkiller

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 04:12:17 PM

[...]

You might be right on this one. But still I don't see any bail-ins in Slovenia. They (the troika or whatever their name is) know that it would start a catastrophic bankrun in Europe.

Yeah I agree the risk is small, but it's still a risk you can avoid. There's a thread on the forum here, someone had around 700k euros taken from their account in Cyprus. Their lawyer, accountant etc had advised them that their money was safe.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 04:33:58 PM

Well, yes. In the grand scheme of things I'm a beginner, especially when it comes to things like bailouts/ins etc.. which leads to uncertainty when I have difficulty knowing if my interpretation of the information is correct. When it came out that Unicredit would only need 14 million, I felt better. But even in the light of that, I didn't trust myself enough to draw any final conclusions.

As a newbie I'm grateful for people like you though.. and you should rightfully not be impressed by me. Not at all.

Apologies for sounding grumpy. :/

To summarize: it's never wrong to be safe (convert to btc, take them out), but realistically, there's a low chance that Unicredit account(s) will be hit by anything in the near future.

meanig (OP)

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:49:04 PM

Panic over then. The government decided that general tax payers should foot the 4 billion euro bill rather than specific bank depositors. I'm aware that penalising Unicredit depositors would make little economic or moral sense, but equally it makes no sense for general tax payers to foot the bill either. I guess the government sensed general tax payers would take it up the ass without too much complaining.

Sending 4 billion euro into a banking black hole equates to 2000 euro per person or 10% of GDP. Can anyone from Slovenia comment on the mood of the people after the announcement. Are they relieved that their deposits are safe or are they fuming about the 4 billion euro bill?

Finally, as a loyal Bitstamp customer I'd like to thank all Slovenian tax payers for keeping my favourite exchange open for business  Kiss
gotmilk_

Activity: 442

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 08:39:58 PM

Panic over then. The government decided that general tax payers should foot the 4 billion euro bill rather than specific bank depositors. I'm aware that penalising Unicredit depositors would make little economic or moral sense, but equally it makes no sense for general tax payers to foot the bill either. I guess the government sensed general tax payers would take it up the ass without too much complaining.

Sending 4 billion euro into a banking black hole equates to 2000 euro per person or 10% of GDP. Can anyone from Slovenia comment on the mood of the people after the announcement. Are they relieved that their deposits are safe or are they fuming about the 4 billion euro bill?

Finally, as a loyal Bitstamp customer I'd like to thank all Slovenian tax payers for keeping my favourite exchange open for business  Kiss

People are not happy, but as usually on the end they (we) will pay, because they are blind. Long story short  Smiley
And you really shouldn't care for a Unicredit Slovenia... €14mil is nothing for them, beside they are not in a hands of state.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: